Odds and Ends

Oh, er, what? Just got in from a visit to the Big City, where I had a Big City Christmas Lunch. Best not to try to paint, even with patented Trebian method as will all look a mess. Better just veg in front of TV and watch Spooks or some such thing.

I did catch the latest episode of Games Britannia last night, which was a slight disappointment. It was focusing on the rise of the modern commercial board game, in particular the Big Three, - Monopoly, Cluedo and Scrabble, - but whilst it was good on the plagiarised origins of Monopoly, a lot of the rest was a bit sloppy. Lots of clips from vintage programmes from the 60s, 70s, and 80s about board games, including one I remember first time round which concentrated on Margaret Hiron (who I always feel is over-rated as a games designer).

It had a serious nod towards D&D and RPGs in general, with reference to tabletop wargaming, but I felt it was light on the modern game scene. They didn't interview Martin Wallace of Treefrog, for example (unless that was in the last five minutes as my digital recorder was playing up a bit).

Any how, worth catching up on i-Player, but don't be distressed if you missed it.

Now I'm off for a lie down. Another day of inactivity on the wargaming front.

Comments