The Vanity Project II part 3a

So I said that I'd sent off a request for a proof copy for "It's Getting a Bit Chile". Well, plans sort of got changed, as they are wont to do.

On the off chance I emailed Alan Curtis (who wrote the excellent "To The Last Cartridge!") via Outpost Wargame Services to ask if I could reproduce his painting guide as a part of the rules. He responded within an hour or so with an affirmative. I think he's quite excited that someone else is alsoexcited about what has been his pet project for many years.

Luckily I hadn't activated the "order your proof" link, so I was able to add in the extra pages as required. Of course, being me, it took longer than it should have done, as I felt the need to verify all of the information and also he'd put it into Word tables, which won't copy into my DTP. That meant I needed to re-type most of the data.

Any how, it's done now, and the proof has been ordered again. It should be with me by the 4th January, so if it only takes me a day or two to proof read and post corrections I hope to be published in the second week of January at the latest.

I put a taster advert out on TMP. So far 4 different people have commented, of which two have said they'll buy the rules. My expectation for these is about 6 copies, so I'm a third of the way there.


And as a side note, I've prepared a pdf for "To Ur is Human" suitable for  download, which I think I'll be releasing at about the same time as "IGABC", once I've worked out how to make the "Wargame Vault" website work.

Lots to look forwards to out there for the New Year!







Comments

  1. To be honest that painting guide did pique my interest in the period. Looking forward to ordering my copy. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good piece of work. I really must do a unit in pickelhaubes.

      Delete
  2. With the addition of a painting guide, you might be able to transform your rules from a “Rules” to a “Wargamer’s Guide” by adding brief history of the conflict, OBs, and figure availability. Add a scenario or three and you would have a complete reference for gaming the period. With such an obscure topic, that might prove useful to anyone having even
    a passing interest or curiosity in the period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm most of the way there. It has a brief history the orbat from one major battle/campaign and figure availability. I baulked at going any further as some of the lists of units come from only one source, so it starts to look like plagarism rather than research, hence why I contacted Alan Curtis for the painting guide as my guide looked awfully like his. There'll be enough in the book to get someone going, and if they're interested enough they should end up reading a few of the books in the bibliography. i hope.

      Delete
    2. Looks like you have it covered.

      Delete
    3. I'll put you down for a copy then, shall I?

      Delete
  3. I'm in for a copy definitely. Will the rules work with hexes? I have a couple of battle boards painted and marked up for hex rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question. I wrote an appendix abot playing without squares, but didn't think to do one about hexes. The answer is probably, but I haven't tried it. The rules have a number of assumptions based on being on squares. For example the maximum number of units that can attack a single unit is 4, and turning increments are 45 degrees. Playing the rules with just using hexes instead of squares will change these numbers, but that might not make a lot of difference, except that it'll be easier to capture buildings. I'd say just give it a go and see what happens. That's what I'd do, and then make amendments as you go along that make the hexes work better.

      Delete
  4. I will certainly give it a go. I have a grass mat in squares so I'm good either way. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment