Rules queries - Ur & Chile

I'm back off holiday - a couple of weeks in India, thank you for asking, no new projects out of it - so I'm able to have a look at some questions that have been asked about the two sets of rules I've published:

To Ur is Human

Question about deployment- page 8. You state that only light troops or battle carts can be in the first row. Does that mean the no files would have heavy troops or massed bowmen in the front rank?

The light infantry/cart rule is more of a guideline, but generally no heavy troops should be placed in the front line alongside light infantry and carts. You can obviously leave gaps in your frontage for massed archers to shoot through, and you can interpenetrate from turn one. One of the few things we know about Sumerian tactics is that light infantry were placed in front as a screen, so it seemed sensible to have such a rule for deployment. However, you've paid for the rules and your are playing in the privacy of your own home, so do want you want.

I’m not sure about not allowing heavy foot to charge battle chariots, as a battle cart unit 40 points could pin a heavy infantry unit with supports.

I think by this you mean that it is possible for 25 points of carts to pin 40 points of Elite Heavy Infantry. Yes, that is the case and it isn't an accident or oversight. But then it also means that the carts, the most mobile units on the table, are stuck stationary and vulnerable to missiles. However, I refer you to the last sentence of my answer above.

Also, reading the voluntary withdrawal of single stand battle carts. There seems to be no benefit or penalty to do this.

The benefit is that you get them off the table so they can't be destroyed and lose the points for them.  Otherwise a single base can end up just limping around the table, trying to keep out of trouble.

Will it matter if I put units of 4 bases on one base, e.g. 80 x 30 (or 80 x 40) ?  I know that base removal affects die used in shooting and H2H but I would use markers for that.  I have not seen how it could make any difference but wanted to check?

It won't matter, as long as you keep track of how many "bases" out of the original 4 or 2 you still have left (I've done something similar elsewhere by using black curtain rings for permanent damage and white for normal hits. The beauty of the squares is that Frontage and Depth of units is unimportant.


It's Getting A Bit Chile

Could I make bases 40mm instead of 30mm and increase grid squares to 4 inch from 3 inch?  I know it is scale related but I was trying to find a way to use the same gridded cloth for both rule sets and the 40mm would be to compensate for the larger grid square.  Having seen the formations permitted I believe maximum frontage would be 80mm which would remain within the squares.

You can make the bases any size you want as long as they fit in the square size you have chosen. I harbour a dream that some one will do this with 28mm figures and 32 man regiments of 8 men per base on 12" squares and take an enormous terrain board to a show.

Comments

  1. Think big Graham; 54mm :-)

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 54s are for Wimps. If you're going big, go 77mm.

      Delete

Post a Comment