Taiping Trials

So, about time I got down to some play testing for my next rules publication. The pressure hasn't been on them as I'm finalising a book on Northamptonshire's battles in collaboration with Mike Ingram and we're pressing to get that done for the start of May, so my thoughts haven't been in this direction.

I've had three or four attempts to play this scenario but I've been frustrated for a number of reasons. Anyhow, last night Richard and I were able to get stuck into some Far Eastern Oriental Action. He got the Ever Victorious Army, trying to evict the Taiping Rebels from a district near Shanghai, and I got the command the Army of the Heavenly Kingdom. We were well entrenched behind some mud walls with our front covered by paddy fields. What could possibly go wrong?

I should note here that I have made some decisions about changes to the rules as they were previously made available. Previously they were played on 6" off set squares, with multiple unit occupancy by square. I've taken the view that, whilst I don't want to sell IGABC again with minor tweaks, buyers might appreciate some commonality, especially if they've gone to the trouble of marking up a cloth. I thought it would be nice if they could re-use that previous work, rather than crawl around drawing up another one.

It is also clear to me from reading this earlier work that there were some design issues that I didn't quite resolve in the area of movement and formations. By taking the movement rates and ranges from IGABC and modifying them slightly (there's no Disorder in "Taiping Era") I found that I'd fixed most of those issues. If players don't need to re-learn all of that then it is an easier task learning the game because let me tell you the combat system is COMPLETELY different not just to IGABC but to anything else I think you'll have ever seen or played. With that said, on with the game.


The Taipings are to the left. They've got two "Brigades" of 5 battalions each, plus some chaps in the pagoda complex and a unit of cavalry. There's a pair of guns in the middle and a couple of sets of jingals too.

The EVA was close to full strength with 6 battalions of foot and a battery of field guns. The infantry was split into two ad-hoc brigades.


Richard immediately confounded the Taiping's cunning plan of hiding behind defences and difficult terrain by marching off to his right to turn the position. Hmm.


I responded by switching some of my units across to my left, but it takes so long with troops using Chinese Drill (I may speed this up a bit as it is hard enough fighting European drilled troops as it is).


Richard has worked out his weapons out range all of mine, so he can stand off and shoot at me. However, he is in range of my artillery if he isn't careful. A lucky shot inflicts some damage on these Malays in open order. Two hits in fact. He is able to rally some of the damage off, another thing I need to think about (I reckon I'm going to do officer cards again, like IGABC, which may address this issue).

The attack on my left is developing quite nicely for Richard. My reinforcements, however, are nearly in position and the cavalry, quite literally, are arriving. The white small Mah Jong tiles indicate where damage is being taken.


Well aimed rifle fire pours into my position, and my brave fellows are starting to suffer. However, we have dished out some damage too, so it isn't all bleak. (Note to self,  - look at firing bases for musket/spear armed units to see if they are being treated unfairly).


My cavalry are now in position, and I've stabilised the position a bit, but that unit with a 3 bamboo tile is looking a bit vulnerable.


Sure enough they're soon going backwards, but the cavalry have slowed the EVA advance by forcing one of their battalions into a square.


My grand plan grinds to halt as the cavalry fail a test and won't advance. This means they have to take an extra round of shooting to what I expected.


But at last they charge home.


Only to be shot up some more and beaten in the hand to hand. The Wang in charge decides to head for home. Nonetheless my infantry are able to close on the square. Perhaps we can see them off?


But what has been going on elsewhere, I hear you cry. Well, those open order infantry have summoned up the courage to charge my jingal unit, as my infantry bumble around trying to get into position.


The square has formed into a firing line to meet my charge out on the left, but they fail their reaction roll and fail to deliver an effective volley. I need a quick win here before that unit on their right collapses.

Bit of swings and roundabouts. My chaps drive back their opponents, but my black flag battalion is tumbled out of the paddy field. My cavalry will not rally up their morale value so are a bit useless for now.


The centre is falling apart too. No need to worry, however, as it pointed me in the direction I needed to go to tighten up some of the rules.


On the left my brave fellows continue to drive back that EVA battalion, oblivious to the carnage around them.


My jingals are driven back in the centre, but it means I'm drawing their opponents into a trap. It's quite an obvious trap, but it's a trap nonetheless.


Alas some well aimed rifle and artillery fire breaks one of my battalions. It really is looking very dicey.


Especially as my left has completely collapsed, apart from that single unit in the distance.


Last photo as most of the right heads for the hills. Complete victory for the EVA, but at the cost of one of their battalions. I'll take that as a win.

The changes made to movement and square size/layout worked okay, so I'll persist with those. Made a fair number of notes as it is clear that the version I was playing from had a load of stuff not written down. To be fair that was the same with both TUIH and IGABC and is probably true of all rules written for personal use. So, some tightening and tidying up to do.

It is hard work for Chinese units fighting European trained troops with better weapons. Richards forces were outnumbered 2:1 and he had to attack. However the greater manoeuvrability of the units and their superior weapons range means that it is easy for them to concentrate force at critical points and their generally higher morale ratings mean they can get out of trouble even if badly handled. Having said that there were a couple of instances where the system nearly produced a couple of catastrophes for the EVA, which is what  I want.

A good start to this bit of the rules publishing project.


Comments

  1. It's interesting to read where this is going. Two things come to mind which might be useful.

    First the Tai Ping seem to have been able to move a lot quicker than the Imperials.

    Second from what I've read Jingals were only really effective at quite short range. The Chinese seem to have used mixed units of Jingals and sword and shield men. The idea being that they would disrupt the enemy at close range-skirmishing I suppose. They often seem to have operated from cover too. I'd guess the Tai Ping did the same.

    Don't know if that helps at all and I guess the EVA would just mow them down from a distance.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the rules once you've published.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tying down exact details of who could do what (except for the European trained forces) is quite hard. Currently the rules distinguish between European and Chinese Drill troops, and the Taipings are in the latter group as I read it as faster strategically but not tactically. They're still hampered by having mixed spear/shot units. Having said that I am looking at easing up the restrictions on the Chinese drilled troops as it is really hard work with them.

      Jingals aren't really effective at long range. They're 400% more effective close up than at the ranges I was firing above. I was getting desperate as the EVA were, indeed, mowing me down at a distance.

      Jingals are supposed to be used as a skirmish type weapon, and you can mix them in with sword and shield men or other skirmish troops. They're not tremendously effective but hold out the hope that they may be.

      Getting the tactical options for both sides right and balanced is a challenge when going from rules that I umpire to rules that are played by other people when I'm not there. There will be loop holes in the way things hang together I've no doubt, but hopefully not too many and hopefully no one will exploit to the detriment of everybody else's enjoyment.

      I'm currently re-doing my background reading and looking at re-engineering the bits of IGABC that work really well to replace the clunky bits of TE that don't.

      Of course this virus thingy has thrown a bit of a spanner in it all as whilst I may get more writing time Shedquarters sessions are suspended for the time being, so no play testing.

      And I'm looking forwards to your first TUIH write up.

      Delete

Post a Comment