Some Strelets Fusilier Eye Candy

In a break from rule writing and publicity I took some time out over the last few days to paint up some of the new Strelets WSS British.

As previously trailed, I've done a load of the early grenadiers as Scots Fusiliers. I did hat swaps for the officer with spontoon and the drummer (who should probably have a reversed colour jacket).

The poses are simple. The man waving his hand in the air used to have a hatchet, so I snipped it off at the suggestion of a friend.


As always with figures it's all very well having a load of detail but the question is whether it's paintable. This is mostly okay. The flash and mould lines don't obscure much, and they weren't too bad to clean (I'm running short of fresh sharp scalpel blades alas).


The mitres are quite nice mouldings and there isn't too much fussy etching on them.


There's no standard bearer in this batch, - the box comes with some, but they will be doing service elsewhere. Besides, I'm going to do big flags that are drilled into the base anyway, as I've done with the rest of my stuff.


There is one classic error on one of the castings, - there's a cross body strap that is only on the front, but then I've painted a Perry figure with that error on it, so even the best sometimes get it wrong.


I'm not the greatest painter in the world, but I'm pleased with the outcome. The figures are nicely proportioned, and are possibly a bit taller than I'd like compared to my Washington's Army veterans, but they mix in okay.

So, for about 20p a figure I think I'm a happy man.

Comments

  1. I think your work on the fusiliers is very nice. The colors are terrific and provide a visual "punch."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is nice to be able to use bright colours every so often. They are quite striking to look at.

      Delete
  2. I reckon you have reason to be happy, dude. Nice figures, a paint finish to match, I have a feeling Strelitz-R figures will develop a reputation for character to rival or even to surpass the Airfix!

    I just wish the Russo-Turkish War 1877 figures we more readily available. I need 1 box of Turkish regular cavalry, and (possibly) one of artillery, and my Army of Turcowaz is complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their sculpting has come on leaps and bounds, but availability is an issue, especially now there are no shows. I normally pick up my packets from a guy who is usually in a corner with stuff all over the place.

      Delete
  3. Nicely painted and always pleasing to get another unit from spares leftover from other units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I painted them first out of this batch, does that make all the others the spares?

      Delete
  4. Beautifully executed. Fine figures that you have made look even finer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The Strelets figure quality has really come on in recent years.

      Delete
  5. Nice figures Graham.

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They look better in the pictures than they do in real life.

      Delete

Post a Comment