A Short Farewell

In the early years of the 21st century I ran a small single-day tournament in the local village hall for people who enjoyed the original version of Martin Goddard's "AK47 Republic" rules. The whole thing ran for six years, from 2002 to to 2008, and ended when the Reloaded rules were released, as the revised game play wouldn't work in the daily structure I had.

The village hall had a path at the back to a local pub. The pub offered B&B which several contestants used, and had a back room where we could play a multiplayer game on a Friday night. I met a lot great people through running Brixcon. It was sad it all had to end.

Now, I'm afraid to say, that whilst the village hall is still going strong, the pub, the Red Lion, is now no more.


Unable to find a publican, the pub has stood empty for several years. In the end it seems like the brewery just wanted to get it off its hands. After all, the village has two other pubs. Of the three of them the Red Lion was probably the ugliest. It was a 1930s period fake Tudor building (the others are local ironstone and are 18th century), probably the only building in that area of the village that isn't listed in some way. Its look wasn't improved by the last landlord turning it into a Tex-Mex place, with a yellow and red façade. However, it was well known locally for its lively social life, football, darts and pool teams and live music nights.

The site is to become a Co-op supermarket, replacing the smaller one near the chip shop. We need a bigger supermarket in the village, but the move isn't popular with many residents. They're complaining about parking and traffic and eyesoreness and the idea that it'll be open from 7am and you'll be able to buy booze in it until 10 or 11pm. I suspect that once it is all done we'll soon find that it isn't a problem. The alternative was to build something on the greenbelt round the village - some very interested parties locally in allowing that type of development - so the re-use of a brownfield site is probably for the best. Plus it'll be in the village and easy to walk to, if away from the greengrocers and other shops.

Progress of a kind.


He we are on Friday night in 2003, just having played or about to play Hammerin' Iron. I think Mr Pig sold a lot of HI off the back of the Friday games!









Comments

  1. I remember that pub from your other games days. Shame to see it go but as you say it's been empty for ages and looking increasingly tatty. I'm amazed that the two pubs in my village keep going - it's certainly not on the proceeds of my patronage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was my favourite lunchtime spot. Despite looking a bit 1950s, the beer and food were always good quality and value. I'm impressed the pubs keep going too. I haven't been in one recently.

      Delete
  2. I heard from an English friend who arrived from the UK more recently than I - say 15 years ago rather than 33 - that the pub in his village only opened Fri and Sat now (when he came here) as there was no money in being open the other days of the week.... I guess a lot of them are dying out and closing down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was enough demand to keep the three pubs open in the village. There just wasn't anyone who wanted to run it anymore. Can't speak for other villages, but the evidence is they are closing down, but whether that is due to lack of footfall or lack of willing publicans I don't know.

      Delete
  3. I hadn’t realised how short a lifespan Brixcon had. I only attended one time, if I remember correctly, and only on the Saturday. Thanks are due for creating an opportunity for the enjoyable games of the old AK47 rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd have run it for longer, but the new rules weren't conducive to the gaming experience I wanted to create, and there wasn't as much demand to run old AK47 with the new rules out. And then a club down south started doing an AK47 Day with the new rules, so that was that.

      Delete
    2. A lot of very young-looking wargamers there, Graham. :-)

      Regards, Chris.

      Delete
    3. Yes. It all seems a very long time ago.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you had some good times there. Always a shame to see those sorts of places come down. Sadly, the local pub is largely becoming a relic of the past in New Zealand. Changing ways of 'doing life' I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did. Good time had by all. I didn't notice a particular lack of pubs and bars in NZ when we were there a few years ago. Mind you, looking at the various publicans and shenanigans in Brokenwood I'd be a bit reluctant to visit one now.

      Delete

Post a Comment