Well, that went well, didn't it?

It has been a fairly rubbish last few days, topping off a fairly rubbish last few months and a fairly rubbish year, all round. What we needed was an everything all in massive RCW game, with tanks, aircraft, artillery, armoured trains, trenches, barbed wire, a big river. Everything. Except cavalry, perhaps.

I had need to look at how the really heavy armour adaptations worked, and also needed to see if the rules would handle a Great War style full on assault on a fortified position, because there were a few.

I decided to make it a one-sided game; that is, all the players running the Whites, whilst I "plumpired" the Reds with some auto-control mechanisms.

Jon was the White leader, supported by Chris in SHQ, and Ian and Richard on line. Jon had been given force lists and a set up photo beforehand, and had devised a plan and given me dispositions.


The Whites are in the two woods towards the top of the right of the picture. They have two Regiments, each of four battalions, three light batteries each of two field gun sections and one howitzer section, and a light, medium and heavy tank section. Plus some ground attack aircraft.

The Red forces are unknown to them, but consists of two infantry battalions, two batteries each of two field gun sections, two field gun sections deployed in anti tank mode, and three independent MG companies. There was also the chance that an armoured train would arrive. All the White troops were of better quality.


The Red position had a lot of chits, marking potential troop locations. I had a crib sheet, which had the actual deployments marked, so the Whites could bombard without knowing what they were hitting.


This is the White right wing. There's some Renault FT-17s, re-purposed from my SCW collection, and the Mark Vs, together with a couple of field gun batteries. Some howitzers, borrowed from my Great War Brits, are skulking behind the woods.


The central wood had the Medium tanks, again borrowed from my Great War collection, and the other artillery battery.


This is what it looked like from behind my lines.


Jon opened up with a massed artillery barrage. He shared the fire about a bit, rather than concentrating each battery. That increased the area he potentially pinned prior to the assault, but also reduced the chances of an actual pin. He also nearly used up all my barrage markers.


The artillery strike panicked some of the defenders, who revealed their positions by opening up and blazing away pointlessly.


There was a degree of debate amongst the White commanders. The rule system gives infantry some benefits when moving over open ground if they are co-ordinating with armour. This is made difficult in that the "Nyet/Da!" test card suits are different for armour and infantry. So you can either be guaranteed your armour will move, or guaranteed you can move the infantry. This created some tension between the infantry and armour commanders. Eventually they went with the armour moving automatically, and the infantry testing. As it turned out, the infantry refused to move, and had to be coerced into action. Here we see them emerge from the woods, led by some plucky FT-17s.


Next to them the Mark V's rumbled to the edge of the woods. This is the business end of the armour formations, able to crush more wire and cross bigger trenches. And blast strong points with their 6pdrs.


The Renaults press forwards, smashing a hole in the first line of barbed wire, as the infantry cluster behind.


The machine gun platoon in the forward line opens up on the armour ineffectually, only to be destroyed by the incoming artillery fire.


Next the Whippets were ordered forwards. In deference to the infantry commander, they chose the "Nyet/Da!" suit for the armour. This requires a random event test for each vehicle. The first Whippet rolls 86, and so suffers an engine fault that requires it to retire to the rear. Then, coincidentally, its colleague rolls the same number, and so has to withdraw as well. Oh.


The Mark Vs rumble forwards. In one of them the commander is overcome by fumes and passes out, but it still presses on. We don't know exactly what happens in the other, as it starts to belch smoke, and then an explosion kills all the crew. Bolshevik sabotage perhaps? There is further confusion, not helped by my internet signal starting to become unstable, so it is difficult to receive orders from the on-line players.


But what's this? A lonely Sopwith Camel appears over the battlefield, and machine guns the town. Typical capitalist anti-revolutionaries, murdering innocent civilians.


Almost in response, it seems, a Red armoured train pulls on to the table. Its massive 6" guns start to bear on the target, as the station master runs up with a field telephone from the Forward Observer.


The guns thunder out, sending a crushing bombardment down onto the central White artillery battery.

And then the internet signal gave out completely, my phone showing 0.1mb on the wi-fi speed check. So, not like last week, which was PC performance, but the actual signal. I have no idea what happened. Mrs T in the house was happily watching TV on catch up, so the main router was working fine. I even had a green light on the mesh box in Shedquarters. Very, very, annoying.

I think the Whites were more than happy to call off the attack, with their armour down to half strength and the armoured train on the table. In practice I think the objective was still achievable. There was enough artillery to pin the front line whilst the infantry negotiated the wire where the tanks couldn't help. It would have been tricky as the attackers would have needed to adopt a lift and fire approach with the artillery, with their infantry hugging the bombardment. 

Anyway, a massive disappointment for me, as I'd spent quite some time setting the game up, and drip feeding Jon information as White C-in-C. Due to time lost over the weekend - for obvious reasons - I hadn't got everything perfect, but it was good enough to go, so that's a lot of effort gone up in smoke. I could reset it, and start again, but I'll need to sort my IT problems out first.

Not all bad, of course, as I learnt a few things I might want to look at, and I got the Mark Vs out for an actual game.

And Chris and I ate a packet of Jammy Dodgers between us.





Comments

  1. This game system sounds very interesting. I've always had a problem with the Warhammer style leadership tests. It always took me out of things a bit. I wish I had known about other rulesets like this before. Were the models you were using 1/72 scale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The game is pone I'm working on now, and it is based on "For Whom the Dice Rolls". There's a tab about them at the top of the page. I've never really got on with Warhammer, as it plays like an over sized skirmish game. Actually, I don't get on with a lot of rule sets, that's why I write and publish my own, I guess. The models and figures are 15mm - 1/100. When things have settled down, I'm sure we can fit a game in.

      Delete
  2. A good try. 'Colin, The good biscuits!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always fond of the idea of Jammy Dodgers, but alas they often end up being disappointing.

      Delete
  3. That's a real shame as the comms went down just as things were starting to get interesting. This is one reason, amongst others, that I have not tried this sort of 'online gaming' as even here on the outskirts of Bristol, our internet connection can dip in and out erratically, especially in the evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very, very, rare for a game top be so badly disrupted by comms we've had to chuck it in. This is probably the only time I can recall. Even with the odd issue it's better than not gaming at all.

      Delete
    2. Very true. I'm lucky in that all the rules I use are solo friendly, which is a huge bonus given the past two years, near as damn it.

      Delete
    3. I have never really got on with solo wargaming. I do from time to time, but I like to game to be with people.

      Delete
  4. I think the Whites simply realized the futility of struggling against historical inevitability. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So all RCW wargaming is essentially futile, as the course of history means that the Reds will win in the end. I won't be using that as a strap line on the rules.

      Delete
  5. Graham, no need for feeling massive disappointment. Sure, lots of effort went into this production but all is not lost. With the effort put in, this scenario would be easy to pick up and re-run with minimal additional effort. I enjoyed the pre-battle planning activities. Planning gave me a chance to refresh my memory on some of the sub-systems of FWTDR in order to build a (hopefully) coherent strategy. As you say, you learned a few things. So did I.

    What did I learn?
    1. Armor and infantry coordination is complicated. Our pre-game plan to coordinate these movements with infantry using off-suits and armor on-suits showed the wisdom in that approach when the reverse saw most of the White armor stall. Sigh.
    2. Having armor roll on the Event Table is quite hazardous. I figured rolling on this table would be a minor annoyance like infantry rolling a coercion result. Turns out the Event Table is much more deadly.
    3. Never count on Richard (or Chris) to roll an 'average or better' result when it counts. When those rolls are needed, turn to Ian! Always plan and expect for the worst.
    4. I have a better idea what may work and what may not for future games.
    5. I now know what a Jammy Dodger is!

    For a White strategy, I seriously considered spending the first turn (and possibly beyond) simply concentrating on artillery barrages. This strategy would not have allowed my compadres much to do the first turn so I scratched that idea.

    Despite the comm collapse, I enjoyed the session.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good you learned something. You were really unlucky with the event table. There's a 4% chance on each roll of getting what happened to you actually happening, and it happened 3 times in 4 rolls. I should have gone for the artillery firing all along the front for at least the first set of 3 or 6 activations, I think, and then pulled the infantry and armour forwards on safe suits whilst you were shelling, not worrying about inf/armour cooperation until you were much closer. But I can also see how that might blow up in your face as a tactic, too.

      Delete
    2. In a two-player game, I would have spent many more resources and time on bombardments to soften up the defenders. With four players playing White, I thought it unfair and boring to keep the sub commanders on the sidelines with nothing to do while I systematically tear apart the defenders.

      One idea in a situation such as this is to play the preliminary shelling phase as a two-player game before the group game. Bombardment phase of battle continues until the attacker is satisfied that the offensive can begin. When the group game is joined, the ground offensive is ready to jump off with players seeing the condition of their troops and that of the defenders before the ground offensive can begin in earnest.

      Delete
    3. You were probably right to allow other players to do things in the first turn. The way the game turned out we could have happily started half an hour early to do the opening bits and pieces. By the end of the Great War in an attack the aim was to co-ordinate and armour and infantry assault, supported by aircraft, behind a hurricane bombardment. You don't necessarily see the result of the bombardment before you attack, as it is essential to follow up the initial surprise really quickly.

      These particular toys are still on the table, so we may go round again with this one.

      Delete
  6. I was delighted to discover that Jammy Dodgers were even more disappointing than I remember. They never had palm oil in before. Almost the taste of childhood, when a Jammy Dodger was the size of a fist. Next time as an infantry commander, I shall use more coercion and give the tanks an easier run in. They also proved to be disappointing Jammy Dodgers. The game is shaping up nicely though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Whites were unlucky with the tanks. I think it is a balancing act. I'd go with moving the tanks and coercing the infantry until you get on the objective, then I'd swap over. As for Jammy dodgers...next up Wagon Wheels?

      Delete
  7. Troubles with the tanks? Sounds pretty realistic to me, though not fun for the players who had them. When I have played in Russian Civil War games at conventions, I always play the Reds so good on them they won...or at least held on.

    As a Yank, I have no clue what a Jammy Dodger is. It sounds like they have gone downhill in quality though from your childhoods.

    Have a nice Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The armour has its ups and downs. I don't know that I have found the sweet spot for the random events yet.

      "Jammie Dodgers" are a biscuit made up of two shortcake biscuits stuck together with jam. They have a heart shaped hole in the centre. The jam was and is very chewy.

      Delete
  8. Oh.....I thought Jammy Dodgers were something quite different...but it's been 45 years and they weren't a biscuit we had often anyway! We have those ones you have described here in NZ however, but they are calked Shrewsbury biscuits here...dunno why, maybe the English originals were manufactured in Shrewsbury ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dunno...they're made by Burton Biscuits who aren't based in Shrewsbury as far as I know.

      Delete

Post a Comment