Some Syborg 3D Aircraft

It has taken me a week or so, but I've got round to assembling and painting the 3D printed biplanes I picked up at Partizan.

I am painting them up as aircraft for the Russian Civil War. The book I bought on the RCW air war, translated by Tom Hillman, has a whole load of colour plates and I think it is true to say the neither side were particularly consistent in their paint schemes, so anything goes. The main thing they have in common is some nice artwork that is beyond my ability to reproduce mostly.


This is a Spad 13 painted as a Soviet fighter. The model don't come with a propeller, which is a shame as my Skytrex models all have them. The bodies are a bit ridgy, so I went at them with a swiss file. They are printed as two halves, divided down the main fuselage from front to back. This means that you get very faint lines from front to back of the wings, which looks distinctly like linen, so I left then with no filing.


I've heard tell that there are issues gluing these together, but a bit of superglue did it for me. I painted a bat on the side because I can't do black skeletons emerging from the gates of hell.


This is the same model painted in white colours with AFSR roundels hand painted. I can do a playing card spade tho' for the side.


There's a slight issue with the under carriage which isn't fully formed, but it stands okay and you can't really tell.


This is a Nieuport 17 painted in Soviet colours. I'm not sure what I was trying to do with that scrawl down the side.


Its White air force equivalent had a not fully printed top wing where the halves joined together, but I filled it with some polyfilla. I went with  a simple geometric design


This one has a club symbol on the side. I can do them too.

These beauties cost me £2 each. I have a pair of Nieuport 28s to do as well, so that's six aircraft for £12. Not bad.

If you really don't want the faff of gluing in all the struts and stuff I can completely recommend them.


Comments

  1. What scale are these Graham? I have been eying up some 3D prints for the less common types in 1/285-1/300th for WW1 dogfight games but the prices on Shapeways are stupidly expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1/144. Have a look at his website. He'll probably print them smaller if you ask.

      Delete
  2. Close up, the sculpts may look a little rough but from gaming table distance or in a remote game, they will look fine. Have you considered cutting out a clear, plastic disk to mount as a prop?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be my painting, not the sculpts! In practice the bodies do need a bit of work. The last two I have coated with PVA, so we'll see how that looks. Having said that, the wings are more delicate looking than a metal cast model, and the wing struts work really well. I did think about plastic discs, but they tend to look a lot like plastic discs. However, watch this space. I may have had a clever idea.

      Delete
  3. At £2 a pop, you really can't go wrong:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I just picked up from a friend a small selection of SCW minis with thoughts of running For Whom the Dice Rolls - will probably want some planes too, and 3D printing is tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Syborg don't do anything suitable for the SCW, except for ME109s. I ended up using 1/600 models from Tumbling dice on the basis of cost. Of course the planes are only really markers, so aren't essential to the game.

      Delete

Post a Comment