And then there were Romans

One of our number, Gary, is new to the idea of owning toy soldiers, having come to tabletop wargaming later in life. It says something about the hobby (or perhaps me) that in spite of wargaming in Shedquarters his exposure to the glossy mags means that what he wants to own is a Roman army made up of Warlord Games figures. So he has bought one of their starter sets and glued all the figures together. But not painted them yet.

When we were discussing games for last Thursday Gary asked for Romans, so Richard brought his 28mm Romans and Britons with him, and in order to play rules we could all learn quickly he offered to run a game using Neil Thomas' AMW.

AMW is a tough gig for the Ancient Britons when fighting Romans, unless you can get them into woods. Phil & I took the Britons, Chris and Gary the Romans. We were using double sized armies, if you were wondering.

Richard's Romans look great. You can see why Gary wants some of his very own.


The Romans sent their Auxilia to clear our chaps from the wood on our right centre.


The lines closed. As ever with NT's rules, the light infantry got trapped in the middle as there's no evade or interpenetration rules. Our naked chaps are subject to a house rule that they get two rounds of warband impetus. 


On the left, where I was in command, I suckered the Roman horse into an envelopment with my light chariots.


As predicted, the light infantry got sandwiched.


I'm getting the upper hand on the left flank. NB I'm using shields as casualty markers, rather than rings for this game.


Lots of fighting all along the centre. My other light chariots have broken through and contacted the mule cart mounted artillery pieces.


The Auxilia enter the woods to clear out the defending warbands.


Phil is facing more cavalry on his wing. He is drawing them on with his light chariots and horse, whittling away at them.


We're getting a bit roughed up in the centre.  Fighting Roman infantry is really hard.


Having destroyed the artillery I pile my chariots into the flank of the Roman archers in a desperate attempt to save my warband.


Whilst that was going on the warbands in the centre were being steadily shredded.


My chariots carved through the archers and hit one of the legionary units. Out on the right, out of shot, Phil has won the battle with the Roman cavalry. Elsewhere the Britons are melting away.

A win for Chris & Gary, but tighter than we might have expected. Gary has borrowed my copy of AMW to get a better grip of what is going on, so hopefully he'll be inspired to put brush to plastic and get his Romans and Britons finished, so we can have an even bigger game next time.

And with that the day concluded. 

Comments

  1. "People have to know when they are conquered"!
    Top looking game Graham, regards James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can claim no credit. Figures and terrain courtesy of Richard Lockwood of the Society of Ancients.

      Delete
  2. It might be nice to start with a joint painting session with Gary to pass on as many tips as possible. When I think how long it took me to reach a standard I was happy with I'm not sure I could start something like that from scratch at my time of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As my paint style is block it in then coat with tinted varnish, perhaps not.

      Delete
  3. Great set up. Unfortunately fighting against Imperial Romans is a big ask. The Germans are probably a better enemy for the Romans, but even they would struggle in a straight fight. I have a lovely Republican Roman army and have found that they have to work really hard against Gallic and British war-bands. Mind I use either Hail Caesar of the excellent Sword and Spear rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Republican Romans too. They do all right under Neil Thomas with most contemporary armies. I have played Hail Caesar and find them a bit "meh". Not tried Sword & Spear. I really liked Armati 2 back in the day.

      Delete
  4. Great looking game and always good when a new player walks away with a win, and isn't starting with Romans compulsory for a gamer of a certain age. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment