Some painting table output

Having finally got "It Rolls for Ivan" published, I have spent some time applying paint to plastic. I filled up on some boxes of Strelets some months ago as it looked like supplies might be affected by Putin's war in the Ukraine (sorry, "security operation" for my Russian readers).

The boxes I acquired were mainly British Cavalry, as they are a nice generic tricorn-wearing set of cavalry, and also some "Late French Dragoons" because they were cheap.

Taking the last first, I don't really need any late period French Dragoons who wear tricorns, as I intend to get some early period ones when I seen them, to get variety in headgear.

Accordingly I painted them up as some Bavarian Dragoons, Torring-Seefeld's Regiment. As they wear red jackets this may cause some confusion on the table. On the other hand there's also a lot of grey & white amongst the minor nations in the WSS, so mixing stuff up is inevitable.


I've taken some close ups so you can see the level of detail that Strelets are getting on 1/72 soft plastic figures. Even with my painting skills I can pick out button hole and other detail. The lance standard is nicely done.


Here they are from the rear. My only criticism of this set is that the figures are a bit of a faff to fit on the horses, and the slimming of the riders' inner thighs with a sharp knife was required.


The set comes with a dragoon drummer, so you do have to use at least some of them as dragoons. The drummer's elaborate costume with false sleeves is quite a thing close up.


Here's the rear of them so you can see the detail again. I had to guess at the drummer's tunic colour, as I couldn't find an illustration in my collection, nor on line. I have a sneaking suspicion that the jacket and cuff colours should be reversed. You'll note that these have a standard stuck into the base. This is removable as a game marker.

The other half of the box I used as regular French cavalry. This is the "Dragoons at Rest" box, and I quite like the more passive poses rather than the more expansive poses you get in most boxes.


I should have straightened this photograph.


This is the first batch of British Cavalry. I have several boxes of these, so I can swap the poses round to make units all doing the same thing. These likewise had some issues fitting into the saddles but were easily whittled down to be a snug fit. I painted them as the Erbprinz von Hessen-Kassel Dragoons. As the box comes with a square standard I took some sharp scissors to this one


Again, lots of nice detail and easy to pick out. I am so tempted to phase out my Airfix conversions and replace them with this figures, but that's a lot of figures, and I have had them for a long time.


Nice wig-work on the ensign.


Even though I like more passive figures, I think the command figure is nicely animated.


More figures from the same box. These are Leib Horse Regiment from Hesse-Kassel. The trumpeter is a lovely figure. Again I couldn't verify the uniform, but I went for reversal this time.


These figures are a little less stocky that the French Dragoons. They are varnished with Ronseal Antique Pine, which has picked out the folds nicely.

Might have been nice if he was actually blowing the trumpet.

Here's the Hesse-Kassel contingent together. Given these are injection moulded single figures with no separate parts the poses are really good and believable. 

I have several more boxes worth to keep me occupied as the nights draw in this autumn, as well as some infantry as well, so we may be revisiting the early 18th century again sometime soon.



Comments

  1. Good to see a return to the painting desk. I like the look of your cavalry a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think my figures are a bit crude by modern standards, but they work for me and enable me to get a lot done in the time I allocate to painting.

      Delete
    2. From above the table, we mainly focus on splashes of color. These provide that color and will look terrific en masse.

      Delete
    3. And they will be deployed en masse. You know me...why leave figures in the box....

      Delete
  2. Trebian -
    I have as much fondness for Strelets-R figures as I have for Zvezda - both in my view a cut above the rest (except maybe Italieri at its best). Pity they have to be caught up in this idiotic NATO vs Russia war in Ukraine. By and large Strelets-R aren't as 'gracile' as the Zvezda figures, but they have something else in spades: character. Quite a few of my 'Chromatic Wars' armies feature Strelets figures. Pity the 1877 Russo-Turkish war cavalry are so hard to get hold of...

    I do like those Dragoons of yours, which bring out what I admire about Streletz figures. -
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best of Zvezda are the very best in this material and size. Strelets are close to them now in terms of sculpting, and the range they have produced makes them a superior choice. Especially when yo ulook at the poses in the box and the relative numbers.

      Delete
  3. Very nice looking units, and it is always a joy to see plastic 20mm figures on the tabletop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well done! So many plastic figures available now and they all seem to be high quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strelets recent production is outstanding. Some of their older sets are a bit dodgy but paint up well. Alas at the moment their sculptor is "digging trenches round Kharkiv" and unlikely to be back any time soon.

      Delete
  5. They are really very nice indeed, hard to believe that they are soft plastic, I haven't really done anything in soft plastic in donkeys years but these are very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much snobbery about soft plastic. People aren't interested in figures unless they appear on the cover of a magazine. Even a friend of mine, new to wargaming, bought a Warlord Games set despite playing with my plastics because he saw them in a magazine.

      Delete
  6. They look really nice, just right! Your early blog posts showing your no-nonsense painting style were a great encouragement to me in getting back into all this mullarkey - thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be of service. The great thing about Ronseal is it is proper, robust, varnish.

      Delete
  7. Beaut looking units Graham. The figures are fabulous and you have done them so well, understating the quality of your painting. I was really pleased to read your concluding phrase "...revisiting the early 18th century again sometime soon" and look forward to seeing that sometime in the future.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that. They are painted as units, rather than individuals, hence why I don't do the heavy shading so popular these days. It'll be a month or so before they are out on the table, but it is coming.

      Delete

Post a Comment