Look at me! Eye Candy, November 2022

I haven't posted any painting shots for a while. Been working on one or two other things, but this is the last couple of month's output.

Actually, I'll start with a bit of serendipity. As previously mentioned I bought a pair of wi-fi mesh nodes. The packing for these looked like mud bricks, and when I turned it upside down it looked like a two-tower Sumerian temple or something. So I stuck it on a base:


I was going to paint it, but then realised the only brown paint I have for something this size is better suited to painting the base so I left it as is. Then a bit of black in some indentations for doors and windows to give a bit of depth.


I think that will do for something to stand in the corner of the table.

Next up I have been working on my WSS Austrians. I mentioned in this post link that I was looking at Eugene's Eastern and Italian campaigns, so I need some Austrians for sure, to go with my German Elector States 


Strelets are yet to release their Austrian infantry - they have an "on the march" box in preparation - so these are a mixture of French early war fusiliers and  musketeers on the march. There are slight differences in the uniform cut and positioning of the cartridge box, but the rule of hats applies, so they'll do nicely.
 

These are painted as a regiment from Lorraine. They are recorded as wearing green uniforms, which made for some variety. Alas they were probably in the "pearl grey" by the 171x Ottoman campaigns, but I like the variety.


The "pearl grey" exercised me a little. The illustrations that are closer to the time show it as being a very light grey, if not an off white. As the Dutch and French use a lot of grey for their infantry, I went for a whiter shade of grey. A much whiter shade. Oh well, they're for my amusement only if anyone objects.


The flags were a bit of a challenge as the evidence is fragmentary. The colonel's colour is usually a white background with an eagle and a coloured triangular border. There's no clear pattern to identify what the border colours should be, so I made some decisions based on guess work. 


The background houses are Christmas decorations I've had for a while, bought cheap in a January sale a few years back. I'd like to add some more variety to the collection, but I haven't seen them reduced anywhere.

The Austrians need some artillery crew, who won't be an issue as I have a load of spares lying around. I am also giving thought to how I do Regimental/Battalion guns, or even if I am. If I do I will possibly need to source some cheap 3pdrs. I wonder if I can get them 3d printed? My other idea is just to add an artillery man on an individual base to the battalion.

My big problem is Austrian Cavalry. I have some unpainted figures, but they will only really do for French or British. The Austrians used a lot of cuirassiers, some in 30 Years War style kit, and some in tricorns, but with no jacket over the breast plate. Strelets have them in the pipeline, but who knows when they'll appear. Admittedly I have the Ottomans to paint first, so I can wait for a while, and it's not like people in Kyiv haven't got other things to deal with for now.



 

Comments

  1. Very clever and effective use of commandeering packing materials for the gaming table. I need to be more vigilant in monitoring what I pitch out. The mudbrick building is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put a picture on the Bronze Age wargaming group Facebook page, and it caused a number of imitations. The danger is now keeping all the box inserts, "just in case".

      Delete
    2. Great example of thinking “inside” the box!

      Delete
    3. A comment worthy of the MNG

      Delete
  2. The box insert is very clever indeed and works very well. I like the Christmas decorations as well, must keep my eyes open for something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had loads of those type of box inserts made from that pressed cardboard over the years, and never thought to turn one over. The Christmas decs were bought in Robert Dyas and a Garden Centre, all on 2 for 1 or clearance offers. They were plain wood which I have painted. You must be able to get them online somewhere.

      Delete
  3. I am most impressed with that vaguely Sumerian edifice - just the thing to add a little something to the battlefield. I quite like those ... toy? ... houses and such accompanying the WSS Austrian units. Some time ago I began putting together just such an army (I like Prinz Eugen, and I like those helmeted cuirassiers). In my army I tried for as many uniform colours as seemed to make sense - grey, white, blue and even one green-coat unit. I went for 36-figure units, which can be broken down into 18-figure units if need be. A decision I'm vaguely regretting, but not enough to change it. Problem: flags. I found some good examples, but not enough. Can you tell us something about the origin and sources for your flags?
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The houses are Christmas decorations. They come with a battery powered light in them to make a festive scene. I have removed the lights and the over sized 2d reindeers anf carol singers that are usually stuck to the bases.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I must keep a weather eye out for them...

      Delete
  4. The upturned packaging as a temple certainly worked out surprisingly well, and with limited need for painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what really sold the idea to me. If it had been white I'd have just chucked them in the recycling.

      Delete
  5. Well done with the building. We get plenty of those at work, and I've considered them for sci-fi, but never thought of ancient mud-brick. I wonder how they'd do for Northwest Frontier forts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There must be an insert that looks like a Pathan hill fort, I would have thought.

      Delete

Post a Comment