Summing Up 2022

**Post revised 31 December 2022 due to incorrectly categorised game**

This is a few days earlier than normal, but due to circumstances I have played my last wargame of the year, and I am unlikely to do anything of significance before the end of December, so here's my end of year summary.

I started these in 2017, and it is true to say a lot has happened since then. My list of games played is slightly shorter than last year, but still looks pretty good:




59 games is more than one a week, so that's an achievement, but represents a bit of a drop on last year's 76. That has arisen for a number of reasons. I predicted a slight drop last year, as the world opened up post-COVID and I went back to other ways of passing my time. There's a slight reduction in periods played, dropping to 15 after 16 last year, and also in rules used which falls to about 22. I'm not sure exactly how many, as we played several of Jon F's homegrown sets of rules and I didn't keep track of  how many variants we used. I'm still my favourite rules author, using my rules for 22 of the games I ran or played in, but that is down from last year in both terms of numbers and sets.



As the graph shows, I also had a real drop in the number of games I personally ran ("Run %age"), falling below 50% for the first time ever. I predicted that this would fall, as Jon, Richard L and I now share Tuesday night games mostly evenly between us. My lack of industry on that front is reflected in the fact that I only managed to get one set of rules to market this year, that being "It Rolls for Ivan". These have also not sold as well as I'd hoped, partly as I haven't pushed them as hard as I should have done, but also because Bill at TMP seems to be unable to put up a simple advert despite repeated promptings over several months so I have a banner ad that doesn't even mention them. The main fault, however, lies with me and my publicity efforts. I had hoped to get my early 18th century rules "From Pike to Bayonet" out, but they have languished a bit, only being given one outing in the year.

The reasons for the shortfall are simple, I think. As I had hoped Mrs T and I did squeeze in a couple of foreign trips, and we also did quite a few mini-breaks around and about England. However, I have to admit that my taking over as Chair of the Northamptonshire Battlefields Society has consumed much more time than I expected. This has been attended by a number of frustrations as well as being quite satisfying from time to time. As of now the Society seems to be on a stable footing, but I haven't delivered on my main project for the year, and whilst it is nice to have people congratulate me on the great job I'm doing, I have a sneaking suspicion that's mainly because no one else wants to do the job instead. I am also finding that running an organisation that relies on volunteers brings its own challenges. Many people are willing to help, but they're "only volunteers" so you get nowhere by shouting at people when things aren't done (by the way, the Government's drive to get the retired community back to paid jobs will kill the heritage industry - we have two major sites in the county that rely upon 100-200 volunteers EACH to keep them running).

So whilst I have succeeded in a number of areas, I haven't managed to produce any more history books. I was expecting to be editing the next Society publication in the last few months, and getting it out there, but the author is now over three months behind on delivering the manuscript and I get the feeling it will be another two or three months before that sees the light of day. 

On the painting front, it has been a fairly dry year, with, I think, less than 200 figures emerging from the desk, and the completion of no new armies. I have added to my WSS collection with the bulk of my production, and started on my Ottomans, as well as adding bits and pieces to my RCW and SCW armies, and there's a lot of boxes now queuing up to be dealt with.

Anyway, next year beckons, and whether my wargaming numbers will improve at all is seriously open to doubt, as I think we need to do some catching up on our overseas travel, and the Society still represents a major call on my time. However, as the only person keeping count is me, I'm sure that won't cause the world any great angst.

So I'll just sign off for now by wishing a Happy 2023 to all of you out there.  Best of luck in all your endeavours and hopefully we will all see a more peaceful world and by the end of July a decisive Ashes win.


Comments

  1. You are quick on the trigger for your 2022 review. I still have painting and gaming to do before I close-out the logbook on 2022. Stating that you are "still your favorite rules author" is funny. I wonder if that would ever not be the case? Playing an average of more than one game per week is impressive by any standards. That is a lot of gaming especially when one considers game prep as an extra effort.

    I have not made my year-end counts yet but I suspect my total game count may be less than 2021 too. Not by much, I think. I actually feel like I have been gaming more in 2022 than 2021. I wonder why that is? Perhaps I am hosting more?

    Thanks for an enjoyable year of gaming.
    Happy 2023!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm confident that is it for the year on games for domestic reasons, and I have never kept a painting log. My database just tracks figures I can use. My painting to do list is the shelf with boxes on it.

      As for me being my favourite, that's in terms of games played. There will have been times way back when that wasn't the case. Martin Goddard's various RFCM systems dominated my wargaming life for quite a few years, and I did used to play a lot of Armati.

      Thanks to you for being such a tolerant participant with all of my technical issues.

      All the best for 2023.

      Delete
  2. That is an impressive total of games. I've also been travelling more this year so gaming has dropped a bit. I really wouldn't worry too much about the attempts by the government to force retired people back to work. What are they going to do do? Conscript us? Jog on Sunak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balance is important in all things, so reduced games aren't an issue if I'm doing other equally worthwhile things. Chasing people for membership fees and badgering others to reply to emails, for example, do not count as good reasons for not gaming.

      My comment on retirees was more from the point of view of they do not realise the unintended consequences of this happening. Government Heritage "policy" has been to fund less and less in that sector, and push work more on to unpaid volunteers. Fewer qualified museum staff (same for libraries) and so on. Those unpaid volunteers are exactly the sort of people who could go back into the workforce.

      Delete
  3. That's an envy-provoking list. Never mind one a week, one a month would be good for me. A broad sweep of periods and rules too.
    As for steps to encourage older people back into the workplace, I suspect it'll be more stick (e.g. tax on pensions) than carrot (better working conditions). And as you say, it could undermine 'the Big Society'. Remember that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one-a-week aim has been there for quite a while. I tried to get myself into a position (both in mental and physical, environmental terms) where the weekly game was the normal thing, rather than the exception, and I have broadly speaking kept to it for over 10 years, I reckon, or at least the life of the blog.

      I think that those who want to get us back into the work place will have to think carefully about the "stick". We're the ones who always vote, and broadly we vote for our pockets.

      Delete
  4. With respect to your rule sales, you could always advertise on other websites that respect you as a paying customer. The Wargames Website is very responsive, and has a great community.

    I usually am aware of your rules becoming published by following your playtests posts on this blog, and then rushing to Amazon to buy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked at TWW. They have a lively community, but it isn't as large, nor as international as TMP. I usually push the rules via the blog, The Wargames Directory and also TMP. I used to send copies to reviewers for WI or MW, but the problem with that is that reviewers rarely have a chance to play the game as far as I can tell, unless they are already a fan almost. I may put put a paid for ad in one of the glossies in 2023, if I can find the time to put one together in a lay out I like. I should also probably do a video or podcast at some time. On the other hand, Bob Cordery relies mostly on word of mouth, and he sells loads more than I do. That might be a price thing. Anyhow, thanks for your support. Please tell all your friends how much youy enjoy the rules, and review them on Amazon, if you haven't already.

      Delete

Post a Comment