Reader, I painted them

As promised nearly a week ago, I put brush to metal for my two GW rarities. They caused me some issues as I haven't painted any 28mm figures for a while, and I don't tend to paint display pieces either anymore. I also leave all the shading to the tinted varnish these days as well.

Technically, dating from 1982, these are probably 25mm, not 28mm (although I've got 25mm figures from then which are now in catalogues as 28mm, so who's to say?). And as they're a rabbit and a dwarf they aren't 28mm or 25mm tall anyway.

They've been undercoated with my normal Dulux white, and painted with a mix of Vallejo, Tamiya, Revell, Coat d'armes and some generic cheapo brand I picked up years a go. I'm such a tart with my paint selection. No clever washes or anything like that. It probably shows. And I haven't got any matt varnish at the moment, so the finish is what it is.


The rabbit has come out the best. This is definitely his best side. The other side of his mouth isn't perfectly cast, and I should probably have spent some time in there with a swiss file and a No 1 blade. However, it wasn't obvious I had a problem until I started to paint him under the magnifier, using my close up spectacles.

The camera loved him.


The dwarf was more of as issue, especially the face, with that huge over hanging hat. I should probably have gone for lighter, more varied colours too, but he's Robin Hood, right? He's supposed to be in darker shades of green. The macro setting on the camera had a bit of a problem with the focus, given the pointy end of the hat.

Anyway, that's them done. I'll stick them on a small base each, with a note underneath saying something like "these are valuable, don't throw them out" together with some provenance detail. Then they can go in a display cabinet to become a dust trap.


Comments

  1. I'm tempted to re-paint some of my Ral Partha and Minifigs figures from the mid-late 1970's, but I just can't bring myself to do it, for nostalgia's sake I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were never properly painted in the first place. Most of what I've got left was painted when I was 18 or older, and it's decent quality for use on a table. I've touched up some figures, and varnished others, but never been tempted on a full repaint. Having said that, by coincidence, I have some Minifig & Ral Partha landsknechts that I did in a real hurry, and could do with a clean and repaint. The Minifigs could do with their pikes replacing too.

      Delete
  2. Both of these are lovely. That rabbit would fit right into Brian Jacques' Long Patrol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was inspiration. It predates not just Long Patrol, but all of the Redwall books.

      Delete
  3. Liking that rabbit very much! Would be a good addition to a Burrows and Badgers warband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does anyone still play B&B?? I had a friend who bought a copy in about 1978...we never really played it.

      Delete
    2. Or, on second thoughts, I'm thinking of Bunnies and Burrows. Is that a different game?

      Delete
  4. "Go on - it's only a rabbit!" Even if it is a nicely painted one.

    Were you there for the infamous "Dungeons and Dormice" weekend with Paddy Griffith at Cartwheels?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment