Nearly Forgot

I've had a busy week, and I nearly forgot to document this Tuesday's game, which would have been a shame. We were over at Chris K's, doing some more NQM round Stalingrad. Since my last participation Chris has moved the game on a bit, so I was presented with a different situation. Stalingrad has now fallen to the Germans, but large numbers of Soviet reinforcements have arrived, and we have them surrounded and may I say "bottled up". I was joined by Tim, with Jon F online, facing off against Phil and Richard. 


I've clipped off the bottom of the table (I'm using my phone, not my SLR). The units with yellow markers are Germans, those with Red are Soviets. The Germans have a ring of strongpoints based on villages. Off the bottom I have a couple of extra formations. Bottom left you can see one of my Sturmoviks bombing the Germans prior to my attack.


The Germans had two airfields for casevac and supplies. We put one of them under pressure early on, which forced their planes to fall back on one location. Got a bit crowded.


It's great when you have loads of stuff and it's quite good. Waited for nearly 30 years to launch an attack like this. The Germans top left are held in place whilst I pound everything else, surround it and start to overrun the positions. Bottom right is a German alpine unit breaking out. Who cares. The partisans will get them.

As the Germans fall back the pursuit opens me up a bit. There's still some tough stuff about. The left hand town still holds out, and that unit in the centre with the half track includes assault engineers. Nasty.


Phil is trying to improvise defence points everywhere, but I'm able to apply sufficient strength to keep them off balance. 


I've surrounded one end of the left hand town, but Phil has launched a lightning raid out of the position to try to thwart me.


I'm able to bounce Phil's counter attack, sending him back towards Stalingrad.


We are also putting pressure on the last remaining airstrip. Only isolated German units are hanging on outside the City, and it's time to stop and take stock.

A good performance by the Soviets all round. We had superior numbers, but German units are really tough to crack, especially when in prepared defences. We were short of heavy artillery, and our airpower kept getting interdicted. However I managed to get my head round the refit/resupply sequence, and was able to recycle and resupply units effectively to keep the pressure on. If it hadn't been for a whole run of pesky out of ammunition rolls early on, I'd have made a whole lot more progress. Lots of good news to report to Comrade Stalin.


Comments

  1. A very impressive and large-scale spectacle! Good game! It's nice that the glorious deeds of our history are reflected on your gaming tables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have not been following my blog for that long you may be unaware that I have been playing the Soviets in Chris' Eastern Front campaign for nigh on 30 years, on and off. To do it all justice, you need to play it at an operational level. This is the highest level of resolution we use, with forces being Soviet Army or German Corps size. You should Google Chris's blog "Not Quite Mechanised" for more details.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. You know that I'm here recently. I have read this blog - it's amazing!!!

      Delete
  2. It took me a while to get the hang of the refit/resupply sequence too, but then it clicked and it felt very satisfying rotating units back and forth sorting them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure the first time we changed to this system, and Chris ironed the bugs out before you played it. It works really well. I liked the supply system in the early NQM, and we have sort of lost that in recent years, but I think Chris has fixed it now. And I agree with you. 6 = lots of hits and out of ammo. Rolling a 1 and getting nothing squared is tough.

      Delete
    2. Ah, Chris mentioned that idea about ammo depletion on a high roll. I first came across it in Victory Games 'Hells Highway', it was brutal on the Germans as they had to use tons of artillery to reduce Arnhem, but '6's just saw their ammo stocks vanish.

      Delete
    3. We had a lot of ammo depletions and no hits in the early stages of the game, which seemed odd for a prepared offensive. We'll see if the change is an improvement in due course.

      Delete

Post a Comment