Another Elephant

I did a top-up order of Freikorps 15s from The Little Corporal ahead of COW, as I'm a bit short of Sikh commanders. Plus they do an elephant command stand. Who doesn't want one of those.

I was bit concerned as TLC have been getting a bit of stick for their service. In the end it took a day or two short of a month to arrive, which is okay. I wasn't in a hurry.


The kit is two body halves, a separate head, howdah, parasol (2 parts), driver, "boy" and "maharajah". It went together okay. Few gaps in the joins I filled in with Das Pronto, and the filigree work on the howdah was incomplete, so I cut it off. The parasol shade was a bit thin, and I had a small hole to repair. I decided to assemble before painting, which made it a bit fiddly to get the brush in, but it has come up okay.

I think it will look suitably magnificent behind my Sikhs.

Comments

  1. The final result was well worth the wait, (and effort!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm pleased with it. I'm sure it will be magnificently ineffective on the table top.

      Delete
  2. Lovely little model and very nicely painted, should look the business on the table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The paint job looks better in the photo than real life, I'm afraid.

      Delete
  3. A considerable leviathan, withal. Only problem - your opponent might suggest that the effect of gravity upon such a massive 'pachydoym' should mean it is permanently moving and fighting uphill... I have long thought that elephants have a stately dignity that would lend gravitas to a war games army...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do add that certain extra something. This one will do no fighting. It is clearly for standing at the back and telling others what to do.

      Delete
  4. Looks great Graham. Love the armour on the nellie.
    Best wishes, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The armour look is based on the set in the Royal armouries in Leeds. I've been to India several times, but that's the best set I've ever seen. It was undercoated in black then dry brushed with a natural steel/silver mix, with details highlighted in gold.

      Delete

Post a Comment