With the heat wave mostly passed, it was cool enough to re-open SHQ. I'm waiting on feedback on the 18th century rules so they are in abeyance for the moment. I therefore needed something else. Whilst looking around for inspiration it seemed obvious to pull out the Sudan forces and go to the fiery heat of the desert.
I just wish I'd gone back and read the report of my last such game in 2024.
I did remember to cut back on the playing area, only not actually enough. The British are this end, heading for the village and the waterhole. Chris & I took them. The Mahdists are in two tribes, commanded by Tim and Phil. I changed from dealing cards to individual units to using them to randomise the movement sequence between the players. Phil didn't seem to grasp the concept at first. Possibly my fault as I got caught between overloading players in the briefing and not telling them enough.
Chris was the British brigadier. He ordered us to form square immediately. This didn't go smoothly, and my camel corps mounted infantry got in the way a bit.
The Mahdist hordes surged forwards. Well, Tim's did. Phil decided to sit and wait.
I've got my square formed up. Chris is still getting there. The cards are unsightly. I swapped to counters part way through the game. I dismounted my mounted infantry and formed up. Mainly so I could put out my camels with holder base.
Whilst this did me some harm, I was able to then able to shoot up the Beja camels with my square.
My camel corps were then able to mount up and ride away. I then remembered I had loads of casualty markers, so started to put them out, starting with a dead camel rider (cue jokes about my painting "Are you sure it's a camel? Looks like a horse."). As the camel corps moved away the naval gatling gun did severe execution on some of Tim's Mahdist foot.
A wide view. As you can see we are trapped at our end of the board as waves of Mahdists charge at us.
Disciplined firepower is holding them at bay. Chris is storing up cards to enable his square to advance.
Phew! Round two turns my way and I drive the first wave off. Then another unit emerge from behind a steep sand dune, and crash into the square again. In the background Chris creeps forwards.
The Mahdists pour into Chris' square. It is curtains for him. My brave fellows are now in an oasis of calm, as Tim's forces lurk out of range.
Time for tea and coffee.
Well the changes were some improvement, but not enough. I need to finish off FP2B so I can pick up and resolve issues with these earlier half finished projects.
No game next week as COW prep beckons me and Chris. Time for me to sort out where I've put everything I need.
Looks like a fun game with a nice looking tabletop setup. Did you make the gaming mat? If so, what did you use.
ReplyDeleteYes, I made the gaming mat. It is made from large vinyl Berghaus advertising panels that wargaming Chris had hung up in his outdoor shop. There are two of them, gaffer taped together, but for this game it's folded in half. It was painted with Dulux vinyl emulsion base then a textured paint roller was used to make the white speckles. The corner dots are stationery stick dots painted green. The other side of the mat is plain green with brown speckles.
DeleteThanks.
Delete