Tartan Terrors Two

I've summoned up the courage to have a go at the Jacobites. Before I do, however, I really must point you at this blog, which I found when looking for finished pictures of Strelets figures: link. Rod McArthur is a man after my own heart (although, in truth, he got there first). He only collects 1/72nd plastics, which he converts into anything he needs, and he has the most brilliant spreadsheets for planning his painting schedule, complete with GANTT charts. Hats off to him. Hopefully I will find a way of meeting up with him at some point.

Anyway, suitably inspired I set about my first Rebel units. I settled on doing the Royal Ecossois (no tartan there) and a generic unit of Highlanders.

Which had a lot of tartan. This is going to take forever, if this unit is any thing to go by.

For the Royal Ecossois, who were raised and equipped in France, I used some figures intended for Lowland Militia in the " Militia & Loyalist" box from Redbox. There's a bit of flash on them, but they are fine figures with nice detail. The officer is obviously intended to be some Edinburgh big wig (literally) and he has lovely facial detail, including glasses perched on the end of his nose.




I note that Rod M has taken the same view on the REs, so I'm in good company. Some illustrations have them in tricorns, but I rather like the bonnets.

The other units is a mixed bag of Redbox figures from the "Militia & Loyalist" box and some from each of the Strelets Jacobite boxes.


You'll note that I've gone for deeper bases, and I'm using 5 figures per element as well. I wanted to show a mix of firearms and melee weapons, and also get a sort of "two ranks" effect, without doubling up the number of bases. Jury's still out, but I'm coming round to thinking it works.


Here's a command stand with a piper. Again the Redbox figures have some lovely detail. Shame about the flash you get with them. The Strelets are a bit more rough and ready, but they're certainly animated as you can see from below.


I even have a man in trews in this lot.

The tartan is looking okay, but it is increasing the painting time a lot. Can't see a way round the problem alas.

This is going to keep me busy until summer, I think.

Comments

  1. I've been painting tartan for the 'arms length' viewing , some of the Strelets Highlanders are definitely better than others , had to turn those spearmen into Lochaber axes .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arms length viewing is kind, but I'm getting there. Interested in any tips for the lochaber axe conversions, as that's on my to-do list.

      Delete
    2. Think I took a couple of photos on my blog of my conversion , cut the spear head off , CAREFULLY split the spearshaft and insert a piece of paper cut to the approximate shape and smear with super glue to harden the paper and hold it in place (start cursing cos the whole b****y thing is stuck to your fingers )

      Delete
    3. That's a good tip. (BTW Don't know what happened to this comment, - got a bit lost in the ether, and I've only just found it).

      Delete
  2. Get a wee bit of green stuff, roll it into a ball, leave it for 20 minutes. Stick the spear head through the ball off centre so most of the ball is away from the figure. That will be your axe head. Flatten the big end by placing it on a flat surface and pressing gently with the flat of a small blade or sculpting tool. Shape the ends of the axe blade to suit the type of axe head you want. Half moon'ish' is good. That's it and it dries overnight. I've done it with 15mm to good effect. After a couple of goes it'll be no bother to you.

    Five Highlanders to a base is a very good call in my view, I went for 6.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the daunting feeling of painting tartan
    I am currently hiding from some 28mm Napoleonic Scottish and 28mm ECW Montrose Clansman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck. Covenanters are way easier.

      Delete
    2. Lol
      Your choice of prayer book is based on "how easy" they are to paint ;)

      Delete
    3. Seems as good a reason as any.

      Delete

Post a Comment