End of Year Edgcote

At the request of Steve last week, this week we did Edgcote with Basic Impetus and my Peter Pig 15mm chaps. Shame he couldn't come, and was at a Steeleye Span concert. We were missing Phil, too, who had to go to a charity gin tasting instead.


Here we are with Herbert to the right and Redesdale to the left.  Redesdale's hill is too far back. I put Redesdale's archers as type "T" (massed archers) across the river. In future I will probably make them S (skirmishers) of CL (light infantry) so they can evade.


There we go. Herbert's got some tents for his camp now.


Lord Pembroke and his brother survey the scene. Redesdale's archers have forced them to come off the hill top at either end.


With a bit of nifty shooting the archers inflict quite a few hits. This is good for us, as the damaged units no longer have impetus.


With a hit for a six or a pair of fives this roll wasted no dice.


Lord Pembroke mounted up and charged down the hill to disperse the archers.


Our stout yeomen of Yorkshire gave him a bit of a shock, inflicting damage and holding their ground.


And this is a good roll for the Cohesion test, where ones are good and sixes bad.


Things can't last for ever, however. The archers facing Herbert's cavalry are bounced...


...and then routed.


The left hand unit is clinging on by a thread, too.


And the right wing archers have gone. All looking a bit messy for me and Tim.


Unable to get out of the way, our last archery unit is contacted...


...and decides to run away.


We've got our reserve line to the river to defend it, but two of Herbert's units are already across, and getting ready to roll us up. It's all looking a bit grim.


But what's this? Clapham and the rabble from Northampton arrive in the nick of time.


Richard is starting to wheel in on the flank, however. Is it too late?


The melee across the river has already started, however, ...


... and we are able to break our opponents whilst we are being lined up for a flank charge.


However, before it all goes completely badly Clapham is able to shoot up another Herbert unit with three units of longbows, before charging in with some billmen.


We also win a melee at the other end of the line.


And then one more and we've won.

It was a close game, see-sawing between the two sides. BI held up really well, assuming I was playing it right, and the archery does provoke the move off the hill to try and prevent the loss of impetus. There are some issues, but they can easily be dealt with. For example I would have the command figures separate, and able to allow a non-fresh unit to have impetus.  Also, as I said above, there's a need for some skirmish/light infantry type long bows, that aren't in the army lists.

I think I would say that I preferred how this played to the "Hail Caesar" games Phil and I have been running (although they have been successful), and I may look at using a variant with my 6mm model.

Yes. Quite pleased with that.


Comments

  1. Impetvs 2nd Edition addresses both individual leaders and Impetvs bonus. For skirmishes with longbows, that is an easy mod you can add yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I'll splash the cash for Impetus 2. Got enough ancient rules as it is. The mods I should need are straightforward enough, but I need to think about the longbow A factors. Do they reflect just the effectiveness of the weapon or the shooting en masse?

      Delete
  2. Phil met one of my work colleagues at the Charity Gin Tasting event. Small world!

    Regards, Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment