"It's Getting a Bit Chile" published...and "To Ur" pdf


 Yes. Finally. After much promising, "It's Getting a Bit Chile" has been proof read, red penned, revised, re-read and re-uploaded. At least 5 times. You can find it here on Amazon.co.uk. It should be available on Amazon locally to where you live (except Australasia for reasons I can't fathom) at the bargain price of £14.99 or local currency equivalent. Okay, so that's more expensive than "To Ur is Human", but it is more than twice as thick, and it has colour pictures as well as lots of those lovely clear diagrams you liked so much in "To Ur is Human. Sounds like a bargain to me.

I took on board some of the criticisms of "To Ur is Human", so there's historical background, painting guide, figure suppliers, bibliography and information on orbats as well to get people started. The rules are written for squares, but I've included rules for using them without, if that's what you want.

The combat system is based around Disorder and the ability of various formations to cope with it better than others. Combat is resolved by totalling the dice rolled by unit and comparing the total to a variable hit multiple. Basically instead of saying a six is a hit and all other dice miss, you total them up and get a hit for every multiple of six (or other numbers, depending on circumstances) instead. Sounds complicated? Well it isn't. The rule summary fits on the back cover, so the mechanism is simple, and if you can't do the sums, I've included a ready-reckoner as well.

The movement system allows players to press forwards through difficult terrain at the speed they want, taking the Disorder to get into position quickly or creeping forward carefully instead, if they prefer.

Commanders are real characters with different abilities and "Character Cards" for them are included so you can copy them and print them out yourself. And did I say there were unit flags for you to scan and print out for use with your miniatures? Well I should have done, because there are.

Yes. Excited about this one. Really excited. Expecting to be met with sales in the single figures, but I wrote them up for sale because I'm proud of them and because more people should be wargaming this war.

Go on. New Year. New Period. Treat yourself.

And for those of you who don't do hard copies, you can now find "To Ur is Human" over on Wargame Vault as a pdf download. Deliverable anywhere and no postage. Just need to print it your self or load it on a tablet, and away you go.




Comments

  1. Trebian,

    I've just ordered my copy, and look forward to receiving it early next week.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support, Bob. I fear this set is going to need it. Anyhow, better get on to Tim about my COW sessions. Looks like I might be running a couple.

      Delete
  2. Looks interesting! I know a little of the earlier, 1864-1870 war but nothing on this conflict outside of what you have presented here on your blog. If this is akin to a self-contained Wargamer's Guide, I am tempted to pick this up as a reference on the war for possible (?) future project consideration.

    Congrats on getting this published!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have enough to get you going, and the Wikipedia stuff is pretty good. And there's at least one free book I give the details of in the Bibliography.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on publishing! I am doing the naval side of the same war this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the ships and have played several games but not happy with my rules yet. Probably 2021 after the Taiping Rebellion, WSS and the Jacobite Risings.

      Delete
  4. Can't do the sums.......included a ready-reckoner......my sort of rules! Just off to Amazon now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know what is going to grab your audience.

      Delete
    2. Maths has never been my strong suit and the period from c1830 to c1910 has always interested me.
      I currently have 2mm FPW, 6mm Indian Mutiny and c1880 colonial forces, 10mm colonial WW1 types and Sudan Wars in 15mm.
      Some of these may become re-imagined to kick me off with a bit Chile!

      Delete
    3. What ever floats your boat. The armies ended up in rags so I guess you can use anything!

      Delete
    4. Using some existing armies will get me started whilst I get to grips with ordering the real stuff and add, inevitably, to the lead mountain.

      Delete
    5. That sounds sensible. My lead mountain is mostly under control (and a lot of it is plastic). I tend to buy everything for a project and paint it before I buy anymore. My only Achilles Heal is boxes of cheap injection moulded plastic figures for armies I've already got.

      Anyway, I hope you enjoy the rules and are sufficiently inspired to get stuck in with the proper stuff.

      Delete
  5. Hi Trebian-
    You mention that somehow the book (I'd rather have the book than the pdf) is not available in Australasia. Do you know anything more about that? Perhaps all the wildfires in Oz are disrupting air traffic and shipping?
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon has printing works, as far as I can tell, in the USA, Europe and Japan. They didn't list "To Ur" on com.au and shipping from the UK was prohibitive. However, I've just checked, and they will now import "To Ur" from the US. You're paying more for shipping than the rules, but at c£10 UK equivalent, it's still an affordable set of rules.

      And I see my book on Edgcote has just been listed, too. Perhaps "Chile" will turn up shortly.

      Delete
  6. I think my imaginations of Bolivador, Chileguay and Peruzuela might now have to start becoming more than a paper project. At the moment they are a mound of unpainted FPW and ACW looking for a reason to manifest themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go for it! The FPW/ACW figures will do okay. I hope you are going to have the Bolivadorian regular infantry in jackets based on their flag colours.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on getting this completed. I will invest once my post Christmas finances are in better shape, although the York show might also put some strain on the same pot of money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are intending to do this in 10mm (and Pendraken's range is nice looking and complete) you might want to order the rules now, so you can pick up your lead order from them at York.

      Just saying.

      Delete
  8. Hi Trebian. I have a copy of To Ur is Human through War games Vault (thanks TMP)and must say congratulations on an excellent set of wargames rules! (I'm the Ozi who was sad because He couldn't find a copy.) Never thought I'd make a move to squares but your rules make so much sense and am now figuring out how to make a new table cloth.
    Thanks again for making the PDF available, I know you had your reservations.
    Regards
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha! Another square convert. It all becomes so obvious, doesn't it? There's advice in the Chile book on doing a squared grid easily. I'll hopefully do a post on the subject in the next few days. Hint: Go to the stationers and get a packet of black or white sticky dots.

      Delete
    2. I look forward to your post. I'm thinking of trying static grass and wood glue. The idea being even if the grass starts to fall out it would still leave a subtle mark. It may be even a better look.

      Delete
    3. You are only marking the corners, aren't you? I have several "cloths". One of them is a sheet of plastic table cloth with a fabric back that I bought off a roll at a fabric shop. The reverse side with the fabric takes paint, so it is painted the same colour as my bases. You can then fleck it with a highlight. Place your sticky dots at the corners of your intended squares. When you are happy they are in the right place paint over then with the colour you used the fleck the cloth in nice round blobs. You'll be surprised at how obvious and not obvious they are at the same time.

      Delete
    4. Ah thank you very much. Sounds like a good method. I'm going to try to get to a fabric shop today.

      Delete
  9. Just ordered after seeing it on the Pendraken stand at a show earlier this year. I'm also planning on using the Pendraken figures. One question though I was surprised to find the hard copy was cheaper to buy than the PDF. Any reason for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pdf and hardcopy should be the same price. Amazon sometimes just discount products with out telling the publisher. I wanted them the same price to encourage the buying of the hardcopy as I think it's more likely to be read and played.

      BTW sold no copies at that show, so you buying them because they were there meant it was worth taking them.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, much prefer the hard copy :-)
      I meant to get a copy at the show but as I was trading as well I completely forgot and when I remembered Leon was packing up.

      Delete
    3. I was at the opposite end of the hall, with the big Edgcote battle model. As I was there with a Society can't really sell my own stuff, so it was good of Leon to have them on display for me. Enjoy the figures and the game.

      Delete

Post a Comment