A Game of "It's Getting a Bit Chile"

I was lucky to have a visit today from Tim Gow of "Megablitz and More". He was mostly passing through but was able to spend a couple of hours in Shedquarters and roll a few dice. What more excuse did I need to roll out a quick bit of South American action, and introduce him to "It's Getting a Bit Chile"?


Tim was more than happy to pose with a copy of the aforesaid rules. He was given command of a strong force of Chileans and I took some Peruvians defending some ramshackle buildings and some improvised defences.


Tim pressed forwards all along the line, and started to deploy into a firing line as my hilltop artillery opened up.


Tim sent his cavalry out wide to his right, transferring it from the central army reserve. Nearer the camera Tim was forced into open order by more accurate shelling from my Krupps, giving up formation and movement to avoid taking Disorder.


Fearing that my left would be turned I moved my (weak) cavalry reserve out wide, but unfortunately took heavy fire. I also bolstered that wing by bringing across one of my reserve infantry formations.


My guns were doing a good job of holding off Tim's left wing Division, but his massed rifle fire started to cause disruption in the buildings. I was already regretting reducing the defensive value of the buildings in the interests of speeding the game along.


Having taken a lot of rifle fire (and some from a Gatling Gun) I compounded the problem by failing all my rally rolls.


Tim was turning out to be a bit of a dead-eye. His firing forced my men on the right to fall back out of the buildings. On the left I had to withdrawn my cavalry to safety, but the men in the trenches were suffering, especially as Tim had been able to deploy his reserve artillery and open fire.


A more effective round of rallying off Disorder on my left made things look a bit better.


Alas Tim then opened up with everything and I was again driven out of the emplacements. It was all looking a bit dodgy. On my right Tim's troops in Open Order rushed the now unoccupied area of the built up area and claimed it for Greater Chile.


Then the Cazadores del Misti pulled it out of the bag on my left. Looking for multiples of 12 to get a hit they came up trumps with 3 x 8 on the d8s, giving me that magic 24 and two hits.


I had shored up the centre by bringing up the reserves and deploying into Firing Lines. This was effective enough as far as it went, but my other troops had been shot out of the buildings too.

Tim had to head off at this point after nearly 2 hours play, just as it was getting interesting. I was badly let down by the failure of my Commanders to deal with the accumulating Disorder. I set the game up to precipitate some quick action without too many distractions as it was the aim to see how quickly a complete novice would come to terms with the rules, which contain quite a few new concepts.

Tim is an experienced wargamer and acclimatised quite quickly. He soon grasped the different ideas in the game, especially those around support stands and Disorder and identified the importance of getting your Commanders in the right places and making use of the flexibility afforded players through the various formations. My main disappointment was that we never got to any hand to hand combat. However, Tim still had a number of nice things to say about the rules and the game and the readability of the rule book.

A pleasant way to pass a lunchtime.

(NB The rules are available from Amazon for £14.99 or equivalent in your region, or you can buy a pdf from Wargame Vault.)

Comments

  1. Looks a great game and good company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple and elegant looking layout. I really like your ramshackle town. Did forces actually deploy with huge gaps between formations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sample size isn't great, so everything is pretty much a one off. There are instances of Divisions deploying for individual action (see Dolores in the rule book), but just as likely to be next to one another and in supporting lines. With the ground scale that's only a gap of 500 yards anyway.

      Delete
  3. It is nice to know that if one were to pass by your place, one is likely to receive such a warm reception!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello old chap,

    Good to see the game and the, as ever, sartorially elegant Mr Gow in action. Were any Llamas harmed in the shooting of this epic? They seemed awfully close to the Gatling guns!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Llamas are surprisingly nimble when needed, and can skip out of the way if necessary.

      Delete
    2. I gather that full Llama molesting rules will be included in the forthcoming supplement, priced at £99.95 including a free model Llama.

      Delete
    3. Who is feeding you this rubbish? There's no free llama.

      Delete
    4. At a hundred quid I expect a live llama!

      Delete
    5. £100 quid for a live llama? Way off beam, I'm afraid. And you should buy them in pairs too. Sounds to me like you couldn't even be trusted with a model one.

      Delete
    6. There’s many things I’m not be trusted with...

      Delete
    7. Have you been running with scissors again?

      Delete
  5. Got both this and To Ur is Human from my wife as birthday presents today. A friend has FPW which will let us give the rules a try before launching in to figure purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your wife is clearly a wonderful woman and a jewel beyond price. I would hold on to her, if I were you.

      Delete
  6. Hi Trebian,
    We post a Topic on the Baccus website to ask you some question about the 6mm basing and choice of figures... Thanks for help !
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. I will look in the next few days and let you have my thoughts.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Graham,
      There is no hurry... no Baccus basket, no post service, no enought health to paint... We fighting against the virus!
      Take care of you!
      😷

      Delete
    3. Shame you cannot order. Now is the perfect time to start something new.

      Delete
  7. Hi Graham,
    Thanks for help on Baccus forum (Austrian cap!) Before ordering... last question : is there skirmishers front of the line troops ? as We can see during napoleonic and american civil wars ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer is yes, but look again at the section in the rules on formations. When you form the 4 bases into a firing line you out one out in front to represent skirmishers and one behind as reserve companies. Alternatively you can deploy the whole unit in open order. So, unlike common 6mm basing you do not include all elements, reserves, line and skirmishers on one base.

      Delete
    2. Thanks,
      We like to make 4 bases infantry unit with 2 of skirmisher and 2 of line!
      What do you think about it ?

      Delete
    3. Well, every base can Skirmish and every base can be in line, but that will work. But remember that it is where the base is in the formation that tells you what it is doing. Look at pages 14 and 15 closely.

      Delete
    4. Great!
      It will work for most of the formation page 14-15!
      And will have a good looking !
      We think to got it!
      Thanks again!

      Delete

Post a Comment