Lochdown Lochabers

In between work on the new Battles of Northamptonshire book I've been working on (did I mention it? You can find out how to buy it from the Battlefield Society here: link, or if you think Bezos doesn't have enough money it's on Amazon here: link. Buy from us and not only do we make more money, but we'll get it in the post quicker too) I've been slugging my way through more tartan terrors. Oh how I hate painting tartan. I had enough of it last year with the Jacobites, this year's project is a Montrose Army in 15mm.

Any how, I've not finished yet, but I've got enough of them done to have some form of photo shoot for them. The figures are Peter Pig, my favourite 15mm fellows for this period.

Eventually I'll have 3 Irish Regiments/Brigades, ditto for Lowlanders and 6 clan units. Regular troops are 6 bases each of three figures, clan units are 3 bases each with four, but the bases are 30x30 instead of 30x15. I then have cavalry from my Covenanter box if needed, plus some artillery.


So far I've got two each of the regulars, and here they are in a line.


This is an Irish Brigade, with a pike base in the back rank looking the wrong way. Careless of me.


Another Irish unit. I found the flags on a blog, rather than draw them myself this time round. I did have to size them, however.


A lowland regiment, with a standard that dates from Jacobite times in lieu of knowing what it should look like.


Some Highlanders with basic saltires. The standard bearers are converted lochaber axe men, which seem to have worked okay. The Highlanders are nice, but Martin doesn't make any musketeers, something I'll need to deal with when I start rules writing. I think they'll count as having firearms regardless.


The Covenanters have been out before, but I put a few on the table to make up the photos. Here you see them clustered on a crest line. I am well provided with Covenanters, as I did enough to do Marston Moor.


The opposing sides were set up sort of in a Tippermuir setting, although I'm not happy with my pencil notes on this battle, so I need to revisit the scenario.


Oh, and here are some cavalry. Bit murky and drear.

I didn't exactly open up Shedquarters, but I did use it for the photo shoot. The light is usually better in there, and obviously the table and terrain are to hand.

In a way I'm trying not to think about playing wargames too much, as that's when I really start to miss it.

Hopefully I can knock off the other few units over the next week, then that project will be done. In the mean time I've a set of rules to get to print. Then I've got some WSS infantry from Strelets I'm looking forwards to getting to grips with. And another set of rules. Certainly keeping busy.


Comments

  1. Snap! I'm working on exactly the same armies. Got about a quarter of each side done so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Covenanters and Irish I could paint all day long...but highlanders...it's just too much...

      Delete
  2. Good looking formations! I like Peter Pig figures a lot and use them for Feudal Japan and increasingly for WWII. They have a certain charm, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martin's WW2 range is almost without equal, and the quality is superb. Not seen his samurai close up, but I would guess they're really nice. And the figures have character!

      Delete
  3. I've been considering how to handle Irish and Highlanders in my Portable Wargame ECW. The former I may just run as quality pike & shot, but the Highlanders need to have a troop type all their own I suspect. I just need to consider what their key 'features' are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd agree on the Irish. The Highlanders are giving me pause for thought. In my Jacobite rules they cause a fear test like mechanism on units they charge and have a one shot fire mechanism. I'm also aware that the New Model Army coped with them almost without breaking step, so not so fearsome to properly trained and experienced troops.

      Delete
    2. What engagements were you specifically thinking of with highlanders vs NMA?

      Delete
    3. I was thinking more of the occupation of Scotland after Dunbar. The Protectorate had few problems in the highland areas.

      Delete
    4. Which may have more to do with the locals not really caring. My understanding is that without decent roads, the Protectorate basically left the highlands alone, and the majority of highlanders were never that interested in a saxon quarrel between protestant sects.

      Delete
    5. The Commonwealth/Protectorate got forces up to the far north. I think there was a garrison at Inverness, even without proper roads. I'm sure I read somewhere that they policed the area and reduced raiding, but I can;t put my hand on the source. Might be in one of John Prebble's books.

      Delete
  4. Nice work there on the 15mm- alas I cannot paint 15mm- so I appreciate the work that you have put in - I can handle 25mm though. Cheers. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't get the "can't paint 15mm" thing. My eyesight is so poor that I get free eye tests and money off my glasses. I have a pair of glasses with my close up prescription at the focal length I paint at. I had them done as one of my 2 for 1 at Specsavers, -the focal length for close up prescription is normally the length you hold a book at. As for the level of detail, - you paint what is there, same as in 25/8mm. People who say they can't see to paint 15mm then put buttons on bigger figures. I have a few issues as the motor skills in my painting hand aren't as good as they were since I had neck surgery, but they effect everything I paint. I mean, I do 6mm too.

      Plus I have a desk top magnifier lamp.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Yes, something like a Magnifier Glass may help me with 15mm- trying to do it with the naked eye has been a problem. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete
    3. Honestly, the real difference was specs with a different focal length. The magnifier helps, but that too is improved by changing your specs.

      Delete
  5. I got a copy of 'I am minded to Rise' in the Hellion sale.

    The author said the tartans men wore tended to have smaller checks. I'm not sure if this helps tartan painters but I thought I'd pass it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? What's the source for this, because this is a new one on me. I haven't seen any evidence of this in historical samples and it makes no sense as local weavers would normally work to a limited range of patterns. More complex designs would take longer to weave.

      Delete
    2. I'm lucky to get any form of tartan painted,regardless of the size of check. As to Doug's point, weavers did weave traditional patters, but I would also think that once you've decided to weave something other than plain cloth eventually you are going to weave more and more complicated designs as a way of demonstrating your skills.

      BTW Love that you misspelled "Helion"..can't think of a more appropriate typo.

      Delete
    3. ...blimey, you'd need to buy it in a sale £20 for 84 pages??????

      Delete
  6. Yes, I missed the spelling or was it sub conscious? The book is a bit slim alright, nice pics mind you.

    I shall check for a foot note Doug. First my elephants are having an outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seem to be a bit noticing this comment. Sorry. I'll have a look at rhe book when shows finally start again.

      Delete
  7. All good stuff. It always felt to me that the Covenanter forces don't get much sympathy in many of the accounts. It's peculiar how they are seen as religious fanatics when the Parliamentarians aren't.

    My own impression is that they were largely written out, or minimised in the initial conflicts, and then were extremely badly led, with an awful lot of interference from non-military authority.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment