On being 60, and Patrick O'Brian

 I was 60 on Sunday. I've known for several years that this significant birthday would fall at a weekend, and so had that pinned as the climax of a number of celebratory events to take place during the year, to include:

  • A seriously large wargame in Shedquarters.
  • A lawn game in the grounds of Trebian Towers (I was going to ask Tim Gow of "Megablitz and More" to organize this. He doesn't know).
  • Some sort of garden party for friends, family and ex-work colleagues.
  • A game of Tunnels and Trolls, picking up from where we left off 10 years ago.
  • Attendance at some really keen musical and sporting events.
  • A driving tour up to Scotland, taking in Culloden, Loch Ness, the Highlands and also the cultural joys of Edinburgh.

As it turns out, absolutely none of these has been ticked off, which is a bit of a bummer.


With all the uncertainty this will come as no surprise. Luckily both the children and their partners visited over the weekend (although not at the same time) and we played some board games, drank some fizzy wine, ate cake and other nice food. Mrs T and I even watched "The Pirates! in an Adventure with Scientists!", which is an awesomely good and much under rated film.

This nearly didn't occur, as we could not lay our hands on our copy of it (and I know I have one), so in the end I rented it off Amazon for £2.49.

Why it was re-titled and re-dubbed for US audiences I have no idea. Perfect as it is.

Aware that it was going to be the case a few months back that my bullet list would not be completed, I decided to mark the year in a slightly different way. My father, who passed away in 2013, was a big Patrick O'Brian fan. He had all of the novels, including at the end a few first editions, and I inherited them, al 20/21 (the last is unfinished). During his life I borrowed and read most of them (maybe all - I can't recall) and we would often talk about them. He never really shared the joy I found in my favourite author at the time, but no matter: we could share the adventures of Aubrey and Maturin, in the same way we shared a love of cricket and a desperate hope that Arsenal were going to get it sorted this year. The last visit my father ever made to a cinema (problems with hips made sitting a long time a trial) was with me to go and see "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World". Although the film took liberties  with various story lines, the presence of the fabled "two weevils" joke made it all worth while. I knew that my father had decided he was nearing the end - it took over a year - when those books sat on his shelf in his room at the care home untouched. His absolute conviction that they bore reading repeatedly, and if you looked hard enough there was always something new to discover, was dimmed. He wasn't unhappy, I hope, it just wasn't a place he wanted to read those books. They were read in his favourite armchair at home, with a G&T or a decent glass of wine.

So my 60th year bullet list became the idea that I'd read them all, back to back, in order. And I finished the last, unfinished, novel ("21") this afternoon, the day after my birthday, sat on the deck in the sunshine, with a suitable beverage.

I had forgotten, if I ever realised, that the books follow pretty much seamlessly on from one another. Unlike the Hornblower novels they were written in order and they also end, often, at the full climax, with the final naval battle, or the critical announcement. To compare them to LOTR, they normally end with the Ring going into Mount Doom, so to speak, without the return to the Shire and all the other shenanigans. It leaves you wanting more, but is certainly unconventional.

I had also not realised - entirely because I had not read them at the time - how much the books owe to Jane Austen rather than C S Forester (which I have read). The characterisations and the domestic plot lines have so many echoes of Austen's work. Aubrey's mother in law, the awful Mrs Williams, would have much to say to and share with Mrs Bennett.

The books are compelling, and there is a desire to know what happens next and you do really care for the central protagonists. They are not perfect, however. O'Brian isn't the sparsest of writers and there really is no need to re-iterate in every book that the Surprise is a really weatherly ship and a sweet sailer. I would also have been quite happy never to read that another futtock shroud had been furled after a couple of books. Yes, the research and the detail is amazing but really? Pages of descriptions of bl**dy sails and bl**dy sheets. Do real sailors even enjoy that? And also, by the end, I was quite prepared to take the next ruddy bird and shove it up Dr Maturin's fundament.

But even so, I am sorry to have finished. The last, incomplete, fragment is, I would suggest, a mistake. There's clearly a simmering story of great tension there, but we have no idea of how it will play out. What we do have is ill-fleshed out. It does the memory a dis-service if that's what you are left with remembering. I don't know if my father ever read it. I bought it for him, but he was a bit contemptuous or frustrated by it all, recognising it as a last desperate attempt to monetise anything the man had produced. It's a good thing that Terry Pratchett's unfinished work has not seen the light of day, and I still almost wish I hadn't bothered reading the last one of his that was published anyway.

As I read the books there was a lot (like really a lot) that I'd forgotten, but there were also bits I remember my father and I talking about. And as we got to the last few, when he was getting hardbacks, there it was, a dedication to him from my mother, a book bought for him as a present on their 45th or 46th wedding anniversary, and then one from me, inscribed to him as a birthday present.

There were many things we didn't share. He never got sf or heavy metal. I never got jazz. These books bridged the gap, and I can only regret that I can no longer phone him up and tell him how much I enjoyed that last one, or how such and such really irritated me.

All of which is a bit more maudlin that I normally write. It occurred to me whilst reading them that it has been seven years since he died, and for various reasons I don't know that I've ever really said good-bye properly. The scattering of ashes was less satisfactory than I would have liked, and the location is less easy for us to visit than I originally thought it would have been. On the day itself I ended up just managing the process for the family, rather than taking the opportunity to say farewell as I should have. We've never been back, but then I don't need that to talk to him in my head. The books bring me closer to him than any place, now that the house is gone and sold on several times. They sat there, in the lounge, in that small book shelf niche, next to the fire, always in my eyeline when we were there. When I see them, my parents house unfolds around them, and he's there, with my mother.

I don't know if I'll ever bother reading them again, but I'm never giving them way.




Comments

  1. What a great post! It's great to have that connection to your father all these years later. I often think about my old man and visiting his grave (now shared with my mother). I don't go much but I console myself with the thought that he would have had a slightly dismissive attitude towards it. And agree with you that you can talk with the departed in one's head.

    My father had a couple of the O'Brian Aubrey books. I tried reading one after seeing the Master & Commander film. I just found the sailing jargon too impenetrable to get past and gave up early on.

    Stand fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sailing jargon can get a bit heavy. You can simply skip whole paragraphs when they are luffing up and setting the top stuns'l flying jib spankers and not lose any of the plot. They are worth it, if yo ucan come to terms with that, and the parallel story about the operation of the intelligence services during the Napoleonic wars is well worth it.

      The other thing with my parent's last resting place is that we, like so many modern families, did not live that close. The ashes are scattered in a place important to them, so it isn't in our village. or close by. If it were, I might wander there more often. But I don't think I need to.

      Delete
  2. Hi Trebian -
    Isn't it nice to share a mutual liking or love of a thing - books, sports, art - whatever. And how it is missed when the sharer is no longer with us. From your comments I begin to think maybe it is just as well I haven't read all of Patrick O'Brian's sea stories (I have copies of 5 and have read two or three more).

    But I do like what I've seen of Mr O'Brian's erudition, in matters literary as well as things nautical. I still think the best of his stories I've read was 'The Mauritius Command', but 'Master and Commander' comes a close second.

    To be honest, I thought the movie adaptation of TWO novels simply a butchery, not helped by casting Russell Crowe as Jack Aubrey (Michael Fassbender would have been a better choice), Paul Bettany as Steven Maturin (pity Donald Pleasance wasn't around - he'd have made a great Maturin. Maybe James McAvoy?) and, quel horreur, Billy Boyd (fine as Peregrin Took) as Barrett Bonden. Shudder. You want a burly bargee for that role, methinks - a Michael Chiklis lookalike.

    And of course, as it was a family show, I daresay they couldn't show the best joke from M&C. The ship's Master, Mr Marshall, a capable officer, has the hots for Jack Aubrey, of which the recipient of this affection is completely unaware.

    Lt Dillon being aware of this, remarks to Dr Maturin that Jack is being cruel and unkind to be encouraging the Master. Dr Maturin assures the lieutenant that Jack is quite oblivious to the Master's passion.

    Dillon: 'Then perhaps the Captain is wanting in penetration?'
    Maturin: 'I trust there is no 'mens rea' in that remark!'

    Cheers,
    Archduke Piccolo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all worth reading, perhaps not as I have done them. I can't say I have a favourite novel, and now I don't think I'd pull one off the shelf to read as one-offs.

      I was not so perturbed by the casting. I felt that Crowe and Bettany made a decent fist of it, but Billy Boyd...as you say. It's a good job the boxing matches from some of the later novels were not included. And where was his pigtail?

      Delete
  3. Happy 60th! Stirring remembrance of your father. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father loved Hornblower I didn’t really. I only discovered PB many years after he died. I wish he had been around to share my new found enthusiasm with.
    A moving post thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm okay with Hornblower, and I've read Ramage and Bolitho in the past. PB is in a different category, like comparing a Phillipa Gregory novel with Hilary Mantel.

      Delete
  5. Happy 60th, it was mine in March, welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have my grandfather's copies, and for much the same reasons. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Good to know I'm not crazy. Unless both of us are.

      Delete
  7. You're not crazy, and this is a lovely story about this set of memories you have of your father. I envy you that.

    But 60, get off my lawn you young scallywag. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In which case, as Captain Aubrey might put it "A glass of wine with you".

      I look forwards ot calling 60 year olds young scallywags.

      Delete
  8. Had my 60th in March - if there's a badge can I have one as well?? W.r.t O'Brien, I have them all, have read them all (including the unfinished last one), and will only say that they are the finest Napoleonic naval fiction I've ever read... I want to read them again, but there are so may other books to read, and I'm wary of the time investment, as once I start that's me gone for 6 months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that he evokes the period like no one else. I find his battle accounts a little lacking in something sometimes. He often switches to Maturin and the sick bay so he doesn't have to write about them.

      Without lockdown you are probably right on the amount of time you need to invest. I reckon this has taken me 2-3 months. Some of them aren't as long as you may think.

      Delete
  9. A lovely post. I've also just finished a Lockdown re-read of the O'Brian books and I share many of your views. The stories - and the central characters - are compelling but the series is also frustrating in several areas. It keeps going down "rabbit holes" that are irrelevant to the plot line; the almost fetishisation of the sailing terminology and the natural history elements is meaningless to even the most expert reader. O'Brian regularly fights shy of the big climax with a battle or a crisis being suddenly resolved in a couple of paragraphs. Despite all that, they are great stories, but perhaps more social rather than maritime historical fiction? I am currently re-reading Hornblower and I feel they are better maritime fiction but they lack the deep characterisation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The avoiding of big events is one of his signature moves. Like the coach crash, or the death of important characters. Sometimes there isn't even a paragraph. You get "As they slid x's body over the side" and you look back and find that you haven't been told of the death. Forester certainly makes the most of his action, but then he was also a screen writer. O'Brian is a lot more subtle, and you can't read him when you're half asleep.

      Delete
  10. I read them all back to back on my Kindlea couple of years ago. I missed the being able to flick back and forth that you get with a paper book, so I think I twas only getting about 70% of what I'd get with paper, but I still loved them, and am working on getting paper copies. Lovely that you have something like this to remember your dad by.

    Happy 60th, and here's to 60 more!

    Best wishes,
    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have to pay attention when you are reading them, and checking back is sometimes needed. I think that is some areas he was poorly served by his editors. Section breaks appear for no reason, and are missing where they are needed.

      Delete
  11. Happy 60th and canny tribute to your father.

    I enjoy O Brian's novels, he pitches the dialogue as in period. You eventually pick it up. Bit like The Wire which never explained its street slang but you got there in the end. I believe he used actual naval reports for the actions in the novels. I liked the film but apparently they changed the enemy ship to Frenc, for US audiences who could nt have the Americans as the enemy of the hero!

    I hope you get to d your birthday plans in 2021,Tour o Scotland will be grand


    Cheers


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His dialogue certainly sounds authentic, and has a rhythm of its own.

      I had an ulterior motive for the Scottish trip. I was going to publish my Jacobite rules, and I thought some location photos wouldn't hurt!

      Delete
  12. Late as ever, Happy 60th Graham. Lovely post that quite touched me. I couldn’t get on with The Aubrey books I much preferred Hornblower although I did enjoy the film. It’s nice to have something that ties you back to your parents once they are gone. For me it’s the canteen of cutlery they bought Mrs E and I as a wedding present. After 45 years there are not that many prices left but whenever I spot one in the cutlery drawer I have a moment of reflection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hornblower is probably a bit more exciting. Aubrey is more drawn out, and his tendency almost to gloss over action sequences can be irritating.

      Delete

Post a Comment