Summing Up 2020

Well that was rubbish, wasn't it. Can't say I care to repeat all of that again. My lowest level of blog postings for five years.

Regardless, I have done my annual compilation of games played. Compared to previous years the numbers are down - under half, just, of last year's. That isn't a surprise. Whole months went by with no wargaming, except for some out door games in the summer, and the recent spate of on-line wargames.




So, this is the list. 11 periods and 15 rule sets. There's one game that I didn't blog, a huge, sprawling game set on the Roman frontier, in the aftermath of the death of Augustus, played by WhatsApp. It's missing because I wasn't really blogging at the time, but working on other projects (I was also in a bit of a grey fug - I won't say depressed, as I have friends who genuinely suffer from depression, and I was not completely incapacitated).

Ancients is top again, propelled there by being an enormous period, and me playing games of "To Ur is Human". It's followed closely by Colonial, due to the development and publication of the "Era" rule books. We then have the Wars of the Roses, due to the on-going rules project for MNGer Richard, and his "Battle Commander" rules.

There's six of my own sets of rules in there, plus D&G has an asterisk by it, as it was about to go into major surgery and emerge as a completely different set of rules, all prevented by the late unpleasantness.

The various restrictions did mean my energies went in other directions. In the last 12 months I published four sets of rules (one of which wasn't written by me) and sold over 550 copies (as self published books on average sell less that 100 copies each, that's okay). 

And I also wrote/complied two history books on Northamptonshire too, in collaboration with others, so it's not like I haven't been productive.

Even painted some more figures.

But it would be great to be playing face to face again. Despite making a new friend with the on-line stuff, I have lost wargaming contact with others, and that isn't ideal.

Right. On with 2021. I'll have my jab now, please nurse.





Comments

  1. Graham, 2020 was a very productive year for you in many fronts. Your keyboard has been very active and 33 games is impressive. Connecting with you and your group was a gaming highlight for me so 2020 had its silver lining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Under the circumstances 33 isn't bad. It would have been a lot less if Richard hadn't encouraged us to do the Skype games. And it has been a pleasure having you along.

      Delete
  2. Not bad at all! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trebian,

    You seem to have had a more productive year than many other wargamers!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I have got a lot more done than some. I'm lucky to have friends and colleagues who have helped me out and pushed me a bit.

      Cheers,

      Graham

      Delete

Post a Comment