Way down South, Mexico Way

We haven't played a game with Richard's US & Mexican figures from the 1840s for a while (since 2018 in fact), so now we have a real live American to play the Yankees it was high time we went back there.

Alas I have to report that my screen shots are not of the best. The colours are often washed out, and the wide angle lens is "bowing" the images badly. Consequently this will be brief and is mainly being posted so I have a full record of games played.

Jon and Steve were the US forces, holding the town. Phil, Will, Ian and I were the attacking Mexicans aiming to take it from them.

Richard sent us a photo of the battlefield before we started so we could submit plans. I had a slight advantage as Jon had to deploy some of his stuff first. Here's the plan I sent back:


Phil had our "elite" 1st Division, tasked with an aggressive left flanking manoeuvre (red line). Ian, with the cavalry division, had a similar task on the right (yellow line). Will had the 2nd Division, left of centre (green line) and I had the Auxiliary Division (blue line). Will and I had the tasking of pinning the centre and drawing the US reserves forwards to aid the encirclement. 

Here we after after our first move. I had forgotten - after playing early 18th century and mid-late 19th century games a lot recently - that cavalry really slows down infantry without cavalry support. Sorry Phil. On our right, there was a troop of US Cavalry not previously advertised. Slight issue, as they're normally much better than our cavalry. The trick with them is to use our superior numbers, and tempt them to a position where you can get 2:1 or better on them. Not to step up into charge range in turn 1.


On the left Phil deployed his infantry defensively, and unlimbered his artillery to give the Texas Rangers (for it was them) a taste of ball. His skirmishers delivered a volley, then went and hid. Wise. All the others on both sides wiped each other out in turn 1.


On the other flank Ian went a bit close, and Jon charged him, breaking his front line unit and then driving their supports back with a breakthrough move. Excellent. Turn 1 and the cavalry Division is already in serious trouble.


Will gamely pushed on, and I moved up to behind the crest line, and sent a unit out as a flank guard. Will and I deployed our artillery, and started shelling the infantry in the ploughed field. On the left, out of shot, Phil closed on the Texas Rangers, and inflicted hits with his artillery.


Ian bravely sent the remaining half of his Division across the river, and brought up his previously retired horse, whilst Jon rallied back and rested. I hoped these would draw Jon's artillery fire, whilst I swung round and charged the flank of the infantry in the ploughed field. Will formed some lines to reduce the damage and increase his fire power as he approached the buildings.


On the left Phil pressed forwards, as the Rangers fell back under heavy artillery fire.


Ian charged the US cavalry with his returning horse. I cannot explain why. Will closed up to the buildings, whilst I tried to work out how to advance without being cannistered to death.


Predictably it did not end well for Ian's horse, that turned and fled. He has occupied the hill at the back, although he's down to half strength in that Division now...


Again, predictably, Ian's cavalry division fails a divisional moral test and runs away. On the left, however, Phil has finally crossed the river. AND we have killed that unit in the ploughed field with sustained artillery fire.


I'm in line now, to reduce my casualties from Jon's artillery. Will is storming the buildings.


I have no pictures of my moment of glory on this flank. My right hand unit was charged by the US Cavalry, and formed a "Hasty Square" with consummate ease, and saw them off in such a way that they didn't bother me for the rest of the game. Will has driven the Americans out, breaking one of the units. Much waving of hats and flags.


We are driving them from building to building, as Phil continues to envelope their left.


They are now mostly back across the river as we press them hard.


We had to end it here, with us in possession of the south bank, and the Yankees holding the north. It's quite well balanced, and once we've brought our artillery up and Phil is in position it'll be an epic struggle.

That took us 4 hours to get to that point, mainly due to having a lot of players - six - together with unfamiliarity with the rules and a bit of unfamiliarity with what was expected in the period. Next time it'll all be a bit slicker, if we don't leave it so long. Having said that it was fun. Playing the Mexicans you don't expect to win, so every little victory is to be savoured!









Comments

  1. Graham, your screenshots look good to me. I have yet to download mine but I suspect that I forgot to take photos during extended periods of the battle. We will see.

    Richard presented an interesting battle and the US battle plan was drafted upon very limited information. All that was know of the Mexican army was that it was massive and coming our way. Scouting suggested the Americans were outnumbered between 2:1 and 3:1 and that our positions were spotted by the Mexican cavalry as it advanced upon the town. It was a bit of a surprise when the Mexican cavalry appeared on the the American far left when the battle began. We really had no idea what we faced.

    I enjoyed seeing your battle plan. I will present the US plan in a future post. I had forgotten how Shako played. Maneuvering is somewhat fiddly and cumbersome. There are some parts of play that I recall differently than how Richard adjudicated.

    Nice report! I enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a game where truly no plan survived contact with the enemy. If I was to play it again I'm not sure what I would do differently. I drew up the plan quickly, but was hoping that the big left hook would win it for us whilst the rest kept you strung out across the board. I was hoping Ian's cavalry would pull your left wing back as he went wide. I'm not sure how I intended to deal with that artillery if that didn't work (which it didn't), so in the end I ignored it. I was pleased with the storming of the buildings.

      Delete
  2. Very good! Six members ... that's powerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the Umpire and a non-playing observer it was actually 8 on the call!

      Delete
  3. That's a nice little action and great to see the Mexican plan at the start and then how the game played out from there on. The same is true on Jonathan's Blog but from the American point of view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beware the Yankee spin doctors. The truth is here.

      Delete
    2. Truth is an elusive pursuit.

      Delete
    3. Are you claiming that like beauty, truth is in the eye of the beholder?

      Delete

Post a Comment