Yet more Mexican action - and thoughts on Shako

Back to Richard's on-off US-Mexican campaign. I reappraised my role as the Mexican general, and Jon took the Americans. We were a bit thin on the ground this week. I was assisted by Ian, and Jon was joined by Phil quite late on.


The Mexicans are closest to the camera. I put the cavalry division on the right, and the elite 1st Division just inside them. The cavalry were there to contain the US mounted arm, who would otherwise slow down our advance. The 1st Division was deployed in column so it could attack vigorously. On the left, 2nd Division was in column as well, so they could occupy the buildings quickly and react if needed, but their main purpose was to refuse the left wing.


Jon moved first and advanced cautiously. In our turn Ian had the 1st Division, and advanced quickly, as ordered. The cavalry were under my command, and I tried to line them up so I could use my numerical advantage against Jon's Texas Rangers. On the left, seeing the US Cavalry advance, I staggered my approach so I could deploy in interlocking squares if needed, and occupied the buildings as intended.


The right wing surged forwards. I moved up the cavalry to ensure we ended up fighting out on the flank, not in our rear. Jon sort of seemed to be reacting to us. He might have just been shell shocked by our rapid and aggressive approach.


The cavalry on the right engaged, and Ian launched some column charges. We had pinned Jon's left back fairly comprehensively, and he seemed circumspect about what I was up to on his right.


Quick switch to Richard's close up camera behind the infantry attack.


Surprise! My general leads my cavalry home against the Texas Rangers, and drives them back. Woo-Hoo!! On the left, Jon did something odd with his cavalry to clear my skirmishers, and I deployed into line to reduce artillery casualties. I closed up to ensure Jon couldn't detach troops to help his beleaguered left.


Ian's troops took a lot of damage charging home, but broke one of the target units. I had a cavalry unit pinning one of the US infantry units in place, whilst the cavalry recovered after the melee.


Ian charged again, taking more damage, but he rocked the Americans back again.


I now lined up my cavalry on the right, and managed to hit the Texas Rangers with two units.


Another charge, and another devastating volley as they closed. Jon was hanging on for grim death, with his dice rolls keeping Ian at bay.


What's this? Texas Rangers beaten again???


Yes indeed! Back they go!!!!


Phil has taken over on the US right, and was pressing me hard. Alas for the Mexicans, Ian's luck had run out, and his Division broke. On my flank, Phil had got the initiative, and my left wing was about to be swept away by the US Cavalry. My cavalry on the right were lined up to finish off the Texas Rangers, but I hadn't been able to pull my spare units round to relieve the pressure on Ian. The Mexicans had put in a great effort, but alas it had all been too much for us, and the US forces prevailed.

I think we gave Jon a real scare, and there were a couple of dice rolls that could have changed the entire game. Good exciting stuff, with another excellent scenario.

Footnote: Despite enjoying the game, I feel I have to record here that having given it several tries, I am not a fan of Shako. If I never played Shako again it wouldn't bother me at all. I'm a fan of Arty Conliffe's designs usually, which I always find interesting. Shako does absolutely nothing for me, and is overly dependent on single die rolls. It may benefit from having a lot more units on the table so it all evens out (WRG's 1685-1845 rules certainly did), but I'd need to be convinced and I'm insufficiently invested in them to seek out an opportunity to try it out. This is a shame, as I'd like to play more US/Mexican games. If they were my figures, I'd be itching to produce a specific set of rules - I can see a Taiping era variant hiding in there - but they aren't and so I won't.



Comments

  1. Excellent battle report, Graham! Another enjoyable gaming session too. The Mexicans did put a bit of a fright into the American commander as it seemed the American movement allowances were measured in mm while the Mexicans were moving in inch scale. The Americans were moving Full Speed Ahead but it sure did not seem like it on the table.

    We could have a lengthy discussion on what we both think Shako gets wrong. I especially think Shako II was a step backwards in that units are much more brittle in SII than SI. In most games, units spend more time in the casualty tray than on table. SII was an attempt to speed play. It succeeded, I suppose but at great cost. Figures should spend much more time on table since that is why we paint them. Well, at least that is why I paint them.

    It was fun taking the Mexican Grenadier Guards of the Supreme Power in the rear, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I seem to have missed this comment and lost it in moderation. Certainly agree with oyur comments on having figures on the table not in the box.

      Delete
  2. I also thought it interesting to see that each commander chose to attack with his right while defending on his left. I am interested in reading your decision process for that plan. Was it the terrain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because t
      I was Mexican, and the position of honour is the right, where the better Division would expect to be deployed.

      Delete
    2. Damn. Giving all my secrets away.

      Delete
  3. I think the command system in both Shako and Spearhead are both excellent, even if the tactical mechanisms leave something to be desired. Unfortunately my regulars have a singular aversion to written orders, even if it is only drawing an arrow on a map.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The command system is good, but that's not enough to save it. Plus you have to keep unit status on a roster sheet as well. Who dies that these days?

      Delete
  4. I’ve always had mixed feelings about Shako though I enjoy Arty’s other rules.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment