Some Partizan Printed Purchases Painted

 I got round to slapping some paint on the Syborg 3d prints I bought at Partizan over the weekend.


This is the Schneider CA1. The Spanish Army had a few at the start of the SCW, but not enough nor used sufficiently to make it worth buying one for my forces. Except it was only £4 and I'd paid the fuel to get there anyway.

The front was quite ridgy, so I smoothed it with Miliput. I missed the side panels of the top ridge structure, but they don't look too bad. It'll serve a purpose on the table top.


This is the Medium B, bought for the current RCW project. Again I smoothed the top, but less successfully. Otherwise it has come out okay. Don't know about the Russian White Army markings, but I thought I'd do something different on it.


The Lanchester really does have a corrugated front. I could have gone at that with Miliput, but it only shows in close up. This one will be joining the White Russian forces too.


Finally a Studebaker truck, to go with my interwar/WW2 lorry park. Good chunky model, again needed a bit of smoothing, but as it came from the £2 remainders box, I'm not complaining.

So far, for me, the jury is half and and out. All these models I'm happy to have in the boxes so I can use them, but I don't have a particular love for them. They benefit from being nice and light, and they took paint well. The detail is mostly very good too. The finish could be better - that may be down to a production issue, not 3d printing per se - but it is close enough for what I want. My feeling for now is that I won't be buying any sight unseen from t'internet if it is for something important to me, but it does help fill in the gaps. 

I won't be buying a 3d printer anytime soon, either.





Comments

  1. Well, they look fine to me, and as you say, took paint well. nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My technique of using think paint, and laying it on thickly, then using household varnish tends to smooth things out.

      Delete
    2. Was the US Studebaker 2-1/2 ton truck a common feature in Spain during the SCW?

      Delete
    3. Dunno. It's a truck, init. Most of my usual trucks aren't period specific.

      Delete
  2. Believe it or not there's a Spanish book on trucks and cars of the SCW......
    I have the Kindle version. IIRC no Studebaker of that particular model, but plenty of US trucks.

    3D printing is either plastic or resin (there are metal prints from Shapeways but not for models AFAIK). Almost all the plastic prints suffer from the layering; only the more expensive printers can get around this. Resin however is much superior and you don't get the ridges. I have some superb examples of resin 3D prints.

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Studebaker wasn't even available in the US during the SCW. Still, it's a truck, and it looks generic enough for the period, and gives some variety to the long convoy of vehicles winding their way across the dusty plains of Spain. Unlike with armour I don't differentiate between different types of trucks. My largest selection of vehicles that I use are made from rubber and were promotional giveaways from the OSHKOSH company. They look fine - and at least I've got trucks. Most people don't even bother. What I'd like are some period horse drawn limbers.

      I shall keep an eye out for resin prints the next show I'm at, although I'm not in need of any vehicles at the moment. These were attractive not just because of what they were, but because of what they cost.

      Delete
  3. I've got a few of these to paint at some point as well. Like you, I'm not in a huge rush to buy a 3D printer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see that if you want a lot of vehicles it might be worth it. So far that isn't me.

      Delete
  4. Well done for getting the purchases painted up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully finish the rest off this evening. Honestly painting trucks isn't that complicated.

      Delete

Post a Comment