Back to the West Country - at last! (Game 1)

It's been a while, but we were finally able to have a wargaming day in Shedquarters West. Alas we were down to just the three of us, me, Chris A and Richard, due to other commitments and Phil's recent illness, but on a cold November morning, Chris loaded a couple of crates of my toys into the boot of his car, and off we went. 

Richard was very keen for us to try "Chain of Command". He's a bit of a Lardy Fanboy, me less so. Still, it's his house, so his choice, and the rules are well regarded. I watched the four "Storm of Steel Wargaming" videos on how to play, and downloaded the (6 page) QRS for reference over the weekend, so I was as prepped as I've ever been for a Lardy Game.

Chain of Command is a platoon level game, with resolution at single figure level. It has dice based unit arrival and activation, and a pre-game patrolling sequence.


Richard does layout a nice table. The wargaming surface is home made, with flexible filler on top of a plastic backed dust sheet, and surfaced with sand and flock and paint. It is rather good. The white building in the middle is home made as well.


I was early war French, defending the red-roofed farmhouse. I didn't get all of these toys. I got three squads, an HMG team and a group of rifle grenadiers. We were playing the Blitzkrieg 1940 supplement, if these things are important to you.


Here we are, with Chris and I placing our Patrol Markers in the pregame sequence. Very disappointed that Richard made us use simple blue and red counters, rather than custom made mdf laser cut jobbies. Despite doing my pre-game prep I still didn't get this quite right. No worries. We were both learning. This phase is important as it determines where you can place your "jumping off points", thus enabling your troops to pop up on the table from cover, rather than trudge on from the table edge. 


Chris got to move first, and his Germans started to sneak up the board.


I think this group was supposed to be the team earmarked to close assault the farm house. They spent a lot of time skulking behind the hedge.


This area of the board was designated "scrub", so all these figures are in light cover. The Nazis have brought up an infantry gun.


Having seen Chris bring on lots of his stuff with his activation dice I was less lucky, and only managed to get on my HMG team, which I put in the farm house.

I will re-iterate here my hatred of dice based reinforcement (and activation) systems under which one players gets to do loads of stuff, whilst you sit and watch them, before moving on one measly unit because of what you roll. At the end of the game I had a think, and I would allow players to modify the activation dice at the cost of giving any units then activated with it a shock point. (BTW this system also has another of my least favourite mechanisms - rolling dice to see how far you move. So you finally get to move a unit, after trying to roll the activation number for three turns and it rolls a 1" move. WTF. If you must do this, allocate a move distance - say 6" - and deduct an inch or two for a 1,2, and add them for a 5,6).


On my right, Chris has a section rushing forwards.


I counter with one of my squads. I can easily make the hedge line in front of me before Chris gets across the open ground, unless I am very unlucky with my activation dice.


What happens is this. The Nazi Collaborator turns up at the farmhouse door. He neutralises the senior leader I've just placed in the farm house. The rest of my activation dice are useless, and don't enable me to move anything - bear in mind I have set myself up so that I get two shots at firing the HMG in the farmhouse upper story, and don't get to shoot at all. I get some 5s on my Chain of Command dice  (which will be good in the future) but at this stage I'd really like to move some kit. This is two turns/phases in a row where I have been heavily restricted in placing or activating troops on the table. I'm a bit miffed (my temper is short these days). Have I driven 2 1/2 hours to sit at the end of a table and not move any toys?


The phase passes to Chris. As you can see, he's a long way from the hedge. However, he rolls the 3 x 6 on the dice option, plus some activations. So he can advance them AND he gets the next phase as well. And he is shelling the farmhouse with his infantry gun off to the left.

Richard at this point is going "Can you please stop breaking the game??".


So the Germans get to the hedge, and open fire on my troops standing in the field. Luckily Chris' shooting is rubbish, and I take only one point of shock. Not bad when being shot at from about 20 yards, by a team armed with a bipod mounted LMG, bolt action rifles and an SMG. How come I am not a heap of corpses in the field? 


Ah ha! My rifle grenadiers turn up. Not too effective with the first round of shooting, but it's something.


At last! An activation I can use. My senior "ranking" leader turns up with a section. He has to stand at that end of the line so he can shout at the men in the building, as I can't get rid of the Nazi collaborator. This means I can start to reduce the shock the HMG team is taking from the infantry gun, and the fire teams standing in the scrub area.


All this means I can now bring a lot of fire to bear on the Germans behind the hedge. I was also able to use a CoC dice event to bring on an ambush team and shoot them up.


This soon has them running for the table edge, cheered on by my section standing in the open. Don't look at me, I don't get it either.


The HMG team in the farmhouse are close to breaking. Loads of shock, and men dying. Funny, I have to roll to see if my officer is hit (for all the good he is doing) but not the Nazi collaborator. Anyhow, I need to reinforce the building.


I finally occupy the hedge line.


On the other side of the board, Chris has sneaked up a team to capture one of my Jumping off Points. This is a Bad Thing. I am able to spring another ambush, and shoot him up a bit, reducing the team to one man. The loss of the JoP costs me some army morale points. We have both been losing these steadily, but I've started rolling 6s when checking, which costs you 2 rather than1 point mostly.


Finally I'm able to deploy anther section, and I put them in the farm house. This is good as the HMG team has bolted. That means I can withdraw the other section from the courtyard, and redeploy them. 

Chris is them able to end the turn (?) which means my broken HMG team is lost - he was able to rally his broken section and teams as I couldn't end the turn.  This, together with some other 6s on the "Bad Things" table, mean I suddenly lose 6 morale points, and my army is broken just as I thought I was going to push on to win.


Final thoughts? I hear people say its the most realistic portrayal of platoon level action you can get (I assume this ignores things like Squad Leader and ASL). I like it more that "Sharp Practice" and "Infamy, Infamy". It has some clever nuances, and mechanisms but I still do not like the aspects I have highlighted. Not that these are unfixable, from my point of view. What do I know? These are really popular, and people like them. I will happily play them again, as it does look nice, and it passed the time without boredom creeping in. However, I won't be buying a copy anytime soon.



Comments

  1. I have had a squad similarly caught out in the open after throwing poor movement dice and my opponent getting a double turn so he got to the hedge before me. It was both frustarting and funny. I personally like the uncertainty in the game - I think that planning on getting to a hedge before the opposition do seems to build too much on the player's God-like omniscience so getting punished for it seems fair. For one platoon vs another I reckon the result is far more likely to be influenced by luck/situation than skill.
    CoC is way better when played as a campaign so if it's all going pear-shaped pull-back and save your men to fight another day / game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your comment on how the game plays. I'm all for a bit of friction in the game (as you'll see from most of my designs) but some of what happens is just plain silly. I have heard the same comment on the campaign system, which I haven't looked at, so I'm not in a position to agree or disagree with you. I don't know how much control and development that gives you. My understanding is that at this level of resolution the key thing is the application of pre-learnt battle drills, so there is a degree by which platoon games should be mechanistic, but that's a much more complicated conversation.

      Delete
  2. A lovely looking game for sure. I've tried CoC and it just didn't click with me, whereas Sharp Practice II is better IMHO. Both however are too complicated for me these days and I find there seems to be too much luck involved. As Rob has said, the games work better as part of a campaign.

    BTW, I also hate the fact that most games advance up the table rather than across, leaving less room for manoeuvre. I played in one game where by playing across the table it was impossible for the Defenders to prevent the Attackers from winning on Turn 1 and not being able to react at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did look great, something for which I can claim no credit (except for my superlative photography skills). I didn't get on with Sharpe Practice, as I couldn't see what it was trying to do, other than simulate the size of battles TV directors have to put on because they can't afford any more actors. The complexity of a game set in WW2 is inevitable at this level, as there's a lot of going on, and it was quite a complicated war to fight. I don't see CoC as too complicated. I see it as an endless stream of dice rolls, with every design problem being solved by rolling a d6 and looking at another table. And it has saving rolls too, which you should really be able to design out of a system without too much effort.

      Length ways v cross ways is a choice I would normally make on scenario and force levels. Game 2 from the day was fought cross ways, but that was a brigade level game. I ran at least one SCW scenario length ways, as it was fighting up a road.

      For this game the table was 4' wide, or 160 yards, which is about 150 meters. A typical German platoon attack frontage was 150-200m, so that's about right. The other way round would be 225m metres, so a bit too much, and you are deploying really close to each other. It isn't easy to get these things right, given the ground and figure scale.

      Delete
    2. Chain of Command fails for me as a game as the mechanics intrude too heavily into the game and spoil my enjoyment. I just feel like I'm playing Yahtzee or something with all the dice...

      I have to admit that having tried several TFL games none of them really gel with me - just not my style of game.

      Delete
    3. I'm probably on the same page as you, although I'd play CoC again. However, you can't argue that the rules aren't popular. They have a big fan base.

      Delete
    4. People like different things - its the only way to explain Mrs Browns Boys.... :-)

      Delete
    5. True. Very true. Although I suspect that it has subliminal hypnotic messages in it.

      Delete
  3. The game looked great, especially in your close-up photos, and a good day out with like-minded friends. Sometimes we have to enjoy those good aspects of the occasion, despite the rules, don't we? (They sound like they'd appeal to me about as much as they did you. If most/more people like them, that's beaut for the hobby and the joy that it brings to those who do).
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did look great. Richard's home made battle mat is superb, and his figures look great. I would play the rules again if the host wanted to put them on. There's a French motor bike platoon in his collection, and who wouldn't want to push that around? Wargaming is a social business as far as I am concerned. I'll solo from time to time, but I do prefer to play with people. Mostly.

      Delete
  4. I'm with, I've tried to like C o C - played at least 4 games of it including one at a convention where the Game master had to make most of the decisions as none of us newbies really caught on to what was happening.
    But in the end I am not a fan. Still, it's a skirmish game and maybe part of my dislike is I like to play bigger battles than platoon fights.

    That board was nice and loved the figures, nice paint jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a big game person, mostly. I think CoC is a game that would lose most of its charm if you didn't have really nice terrain and figures.

      Delete

Post a Comment