RCW Reinforcements - plugging some holes

Revisiting a project always highlights the holes in the collection. My Russian Civil War collection was built for a specific set of rules "wot I wrote", and I needed some things and not others. It was also built at a time when I wasn't short of cash, but I also didn't want to waste any either (two kids at school, looking at Universities etc)

The Spanish Civil War stuff is a later collection, and was started through a kind 50th birthday present from colleagues at work. The rules, "For Whom The Dice Rolls", went in a different direction  to those I had done for the RCW, so the collection was different from the beginning. Consequently, when I started to work on "It Rolls for Ivan", various gaps started to emerge.


Firstly, although not strictly accurate, I can get away with using my generic inter-war truck collection for Spain and for artillery tows. That doesn't work for post WW1 Russia. Okay, I could pretend Russian artillery doesn't move very much, but that isn't the case.  I therefore had a gap in my numbers of limbers. Currently I have four Crimean War limbers masquerading as Great War Russians. I need double that, probably. So, in goes an order for Mr Pig's four horse Russian Civil War limbers.

I'm very pleased with this. Nice little model, with good animation. Small, too, and fits on a base that isn't too big. Comes complete with three crew sitting on the caisson. I have to admit I had an issue trying to work out where all the arms and legs went on those guys.

This is White gun team, complete with coloured caps and shoulder boards. I need to do a Red Army team next, which will mean head swaps.

Talking of which....


Cavalry not a big deal in the SCW, so I didn't bother with dismounted horses. In the RCW, cavalry very big deal, both as close contact troops, and as mobile infantry. So I needed some "empty horses"

Peter Pig does dismounted German uhlan horse holders, so I got some packets of them, and some spare heads. Here's some serving as Cossack horse holders, with a suitable head change. The tunic is close enough to a gymnastyorka, with a little knife work. I'd have preferred them in great coats, but couldn't face doing the Miliput work. The first head came off fine, and drilled out smoothly. The second was a really swine.


Anyhow, I did get both of them done, so I have a pair of horse holder bases for a Cossack unit now. 


Finally, I've been using SCW casualty markers for when a base is eliminated, and I thought I can't go on like this, so I've got a few packets of dead bodies. Here's the first couple, in a variety of uniform schemes. All with caps. Can't do head swaps on these boys, I'm afraid.


 

Comments

  1. You have been busy at the workbench! All look good. Freikcorps 15s/QRF produces WW1 Russian limbers if you want some variety in your collection. I have many, many of the Freikorps 15mm limbers in my Franco-Austrian War project. Nice models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I have enough for now, and I like the little Piggy 4 horse limbers both as models and because they take up so little space.

      Delete
    2. A fine and interesting project. Makes me go all wistful...

      Delete
  2. Those battlefield 'extras' always add to the look (not to mention serving as important markers). You are going to have a good stock of fine looking ones. I especially like that limber; a nicely animated piece beautifully painted.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The limber is a nice model. The paint job looks better in the picture than in real life.

      Delete

Post a Comment