Shedquarters is unavailable for games

It is rare for Shedquarters to be out of operation as a wargames room. This is deliberate policy. All that is normally allowed on the wargames table is wargaming.

Every so often I have to make an exception, and these last few days (and for a few days more) have been one such exception. Shedquarters is currently being used for a construction project for the Northamptonshire Battlefields Society. I am trying to build a model of the Battle of Middleton Cheney to take to Partizan in May. I chose the battle as we haven't done it before, and I reckoned I could use my normal 15mm ECW figures, rather than buy and paint new stuff. It's also manageably small. And Gregg Archer, of both NBS and the Battlefields Trust, is currently researching it like made, and has shared some useful findings with me.

My initial idea weas to repurpose some previously used polystyrene terrain blocks and chuck a sheet over them with painted on roads and so on. Alas this fell apart as an idea as soon as I started work on them. Previously applied PVA, Polyfilla and Polytex have rendered them rock solid, and quite unsuitable for reuse.

I headed over to Amazon and found out I could pick up a good sized pack of packing tiles for a tenner, so I thought I might as well start from scratch.


The layout is going to be 3' x 3', with a figure scale of about 10:1. Here's me working out that I have enough tiles. The battle was fought, probably, on a re-entrant, so the hilly bit will be round about three sides, and the middle will be flat.


Sort of like this. You can see the bit I'm going to cut out. It'll break down into three sections for ease of transportation. It will be three of four tiles deep, and will be bound together with PVA, masking tape, gaffer tape and Polytex for durability.

Here we are with a couple of layers. You can see my Games workshop (TM) hot wire cutter in the bottom right corner. It was fun to get that out and use it again, but it can be a bit tricky at times.


I got to three layers then thought that was enough, especially when I started mapping out roads, streams and troop locations.


The troops fit on the board okay, and don't slide down the slopes, so three layers will do. You can see a stream incised into the right hand edge. The stream then snakes across the valley floor. I have decided to paint a mat to go under the files, rather than put a cloth over it all. The tiles will be painted the same colour as the mat. I'll just have to live with the stream being painted flat on the valley floor for now. The other markings are roads/lanes and a cross hatched area for Middleton Cheney.

I've probably got another four or five days work on this bit of the display, and that's down to the weather, as glue and paint won't dry that quickly when it is so cold and damp, and I'm not going to run the heating fans in there at current costs. Experience suggests each layer may take two or three days to set. I also need to reinforce the edges to stop them chipping away or snapping off.

I need to give a thought to whether or not I show any field detail, like ridge and furrow or hedges. The historical field maps imply the area is mostly open, but the banks of the stream are probably hedged. If they were, then that would interfere with the Royalist cavalry charge across the valley floor. So perhaps not. I might bring along the odd free standing tree for a bit of relief from the openness of it all. Of course the village will have some buildings, so perhaps that'll be enough.

I think that's a good start.




Comments

  1. Interesting little action with asymmetrical opponents. Just a thought, why don’t you have a base layer of the tiles do you can cut the stream into the valley bottom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that but will be too fragile and a bit too large for transport.

      Delete
    2. Ah! Hadn’t thought of that.

      Delete
    3. I woke up in the night and thought of as possible way to do this by dividing the bottom layer into two along the line of the stream. I may look at this today.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to seeing you at Partizan - we are (95%certain) taking Test of Resolve there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we'll be able to meet up and say hello. Best of luck with the game. What battle are you going to do?

      Delete
    2. It would be nice to have a quick chat. Our entry has been rather last minute so we haven't quite decided on a battle. It will be one of the smaller battles so that it can be played through reasonably quickly as a participation game. Twt Hill is an option. Is your game participation or demo?

      Delete
    3. Currently it is looking like a demo display as a talking point. I hope to have the small Edgcote model and the N1460 game as well.

      Delete
  3. The great thing about being a 'Grown Up' and a wargamer is being allowed to play with things like hot wire cutters free from any outside challenges about fumes and poisonous gasses. Plus you get to use glue without supervision. The terrain is looking good and the technique is one I had been promising to use for a Naseby board for my 2mm BCW stuff. Alas even at 1mm to the yard the board would have been far too big so I have quietly shelved that plan much to the Memsahib's relief. I don't think I recall the Shedquarters' table not being available before. Should I make a diary entry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that and power tools. The last construction I did was Edgcote in September 2019, which looks like it tied up SHQ for a week. The ground scale is based upon the unit frontage that I wanted to use. The area represents about 1,500 yards square.

      Delete
  4. Looks like this will be a very nice piece of terrain Graeme.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit concerned about the flat top, but for practical reasons it can't be any more slopey. I think it'll do the job.

      Delete
  5. Sorry about misspelling your name Graham...for some reason I thought I had seen it spelled the "eme" way previously! After posting, I checked the front cover of one of your rule sets and discovered my error....a good example that time spent on reconnaissance is never wasted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mistake made from time to time the "Graeme" spelling is more Scottish than English but there's no hard and fast rule.

      Delete

  6. its looking like a good sound plan...

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is looking good already and await updates as and when you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully done by next weekend, although one delivery of required supplies is already late.

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Sorry - it's a solid framework is what I mean.

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes. I get it. Bit slow of thinking this morning. It will indeed be solid.

      Delete

Post a Comment