New book on the Battle of Middleton Cheney

I've been away on holiday recently, but before I went I was able to finish the work on Gregg Archer's book on this little known battle in the English Civil War.



Gregg is a member of the Northamptonshire Battlefields Society and also joint Mercia regional chair of the Battlefields Trust. The book is a joint publication by both organisations, done in the style of NBS's previous battle books. It includes a detailed analysis of all the evidence, places the battle in context and includes all the sources as an appendix. It has been produced to coincide with the 380th anniversary of the battle this year, which will also see the installation of information boards in Middleton Cheney and a memorial to the fallen.

The book is available from Amazon worldwide for £7.50. All profits will be divided equally between NBS and the Trust.

As the Chair of NBS I'm really pleased we were able to participate in  this joint venture with the premier battlefield protection body in the UK, and bring our experience in self publishing to bear on the project.

And I'd point out that this is another book edited by a wargamer, who kept asking the author the questions wargamers want to know the answers to, so if you want to wargame small obscure battles from the ECW, this is a book for you.




Comments

  1. Thank you for the heads up, not a battle I know about so an essential purchase for me!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. Please tell all your friends!

      Delete
    2. Never heard of it! To rectify this situation, I've just placed my order. And yes, I'll tell my friends!

      Delete
  2. Never heard of it! To rectify this, I've just ordered it - and yes, I'll tell my friends :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame on you! It features very briefly in the book Mike Ingram and I wrote about battlefields in Northamptonshire. We didn't know much about it then, so it is great that Gregg has stepped up and written this book.

      Delete
  3. Sounds up my Strasse. Ordered it on my wife's Prime account to save on the postage. Handy thing's wives' Prime accounts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent. We share an Amazon account and I'm too mean to pay for Prime.

      Delete
  4. I have heard of it!! always been interested in the Earls of Northampton and the Banbury forces. So have ordered a copy which is hopefully coming today. Great that this type of work is being done. Keep up the good work. Regards Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! If you enjoy it, please post a review on Amazon. We don't have a massive marketing budget and as we are self publishing we won't be getting the books into major bookstores. On the plus side, Amazon does enable us to sell it world wide.

      Delete
    2. It has just arrived. Looks very interesting, yes I will review on Amazon in due course. Paul.

      Delete
    3. That was quick! Still waiting for my copies.

      Delete
    4. Trebian, very good book and very well researched, please pass on my comments. I was surprised with all the Parliamentarians killed, wounded, taken prisoner and all the weapons captured, that not a single flag was taken by the Royalists!! Regards Paul.

      Delete
    5. Have sent your comments on to the author. Good to hear you enjoyed it. Again, please do an Amazon review, tell all your friends and plug it on social media.

      Delete
  5. Thank you very much for bringing this book to my attention. It does, as you wrote, contain just the sort of information wargamers need to know, and I've been inspired - and distracted from other things I really should be doing! - to compose a scenario for it, with options to include alternative force strengths from the reports, different motivations for the Parliamentary advance on Banbury, and the other decisions the commanders might have made. Excellent value! I will write a review for Miniature Wargames.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment