NQM in North Africa

 Chris stepped in at short notice this week as Shedquarters had been set up for a game later in the week.


Chris had put us in North Africa, round Tunis. The Germans are breaking out, and attacking the British forces to the south, I think. Chris remarked that the information on this action is less copious than on those involving American forces at the time. Tim & I took the Brits, Phil & Chris the Germans. Tim has the Shermans and the left hand side of the board, I have the infantry on the right.  The blue bridge, centre left may look destroyed, but it isn't. Chris had lost his un-blown up version.

I have three infantry battalions, a bit strung out, but some decent artillery in support. The main German armour thrust is at the top of the picture. I got caught by some German infantry coming on from the near edge. My air recce picked them up, so I could shell them.


Tim had the most challenging role at first, as his shiny new Shermans were attacked by German armour, led by a Tiger. Oh for a firefly, but too early in the war.


I'm holding the Germans off on my flank, which included a critical intervention by the 5th Northants Regiment


My heavy artillery had been putting in a good show, so the German bomber force came looking for them.


Then Chris' main thrust on my side of the table turned up. I was able to call up a Blenheim to slow them down a bit.


But not enough. Soon the 6th York & Lancs were under a lot of pressure. We have to hold on, so the RE can blow the bridge.


The combined interventions by the Blenheim and the heavy artillery put paid to Chris' armour.


Holding on by a thin margin, the bridge is finally blown, and the infantry can retire into the hills.

Tim is slugging it out with the German armoured spearhead. He held out long enough for the German attack to peter out.


The only mistake we made was I forgot to send any defenders to the hill on my right, so when the German infantry infiltrated past the bridge, there was no opposition. Instead, I fortified the town to the rear, to stop us being flanked.

In summary, I think we were able to blunt the German advance so they ran out of steam. A fine performance by our brave lads.



Comments