Back in time with HOTT and DBF

Chris K has been working on and off with the playtest group hoping to publish the updated "Hordes of the Things", to be called DBF. I'm not that bothered with it, to be honest, but Chris is interested so it is only fair to give him support. This week, however, there was a carrot dangling in the shape of some of my old figures I gave to Chris many moons ago.

When I was in my teens  I invested in Middle Earth armies initially based round converted Airfix and then transitioning to Minifigs ME range. I bought an early set of table top rules called "Wizards and Warfare", which I now find I had as a first edition, that probably dates from about 1974. I've lost my original copy, but I found a picture of the cover of the rules I had online. The magic in them was heavily influenced by Jack Vance's "Dying Earth" I recall. Showing a tendency I have kept until now I immediately started modifying them and had a hand written QRS that I'd done on the cardboard insert from a new school shirt (the card was white, so clearer to write on).

I took this seriously, and my armies were quite large, seeing as I was building both sides. As usual. They were all neatly sorted in Racco Cabinets, with Dymo taped labels on the trays. I took them with me to university, but no one was interested in fantasy. In fact they were actively opposed as a group, for reasons I won't go into in detail but was connected with the club nearly being overwhelmed by D&D players. So the figures languished until I gave them away.

Chris has resurrected them as LotR armies for DBF, so I could hardly miss out.


Here's me with the Gondorians taking on some Southrons. The Southron army is made up of figures that weren't mine (my sizaeable hordes from Harad were set up to be another army). The Gondorians have been rebased, but memories came flooding back. All those red coated spearmen had to have their spears replaced as they originally held them horizontally over their shoulders in weak metal and snapped off one by one.

Not a lot of tactical sophistication here. Steve's tied himself in knots with his Behemoths.


Next to us Tim was using an Orc army against Phil with Wood Elves. Except for the cannon and the command bases these are all my figures from about 50 years ago. There's been a bit of repainting, but still recognisably my output from when I was 14 or 15.


After a series of misfiring combats I finally started to get the upper hand, and killed a Behemoth.


I then managed to get to grips with his archers and cavalry and killed a load. Then I noticed that not all of Steve's army wasn't my figures. There's one of my old Southron standard bearers waving one of my hand painted tooth paste tube flags in his general's Behemoth.


We lined them up for another go. Someone has repainted a lot of the shields, wrecking my beautiful Tolkeinian (?) heraldry. Those swordmen in the front rank aren't Minifigs, but most likely Garrison/Greenwood and Ball. The wizard at the back isn't one of my old figures either. Gandalf and Shadowfax seem to have gone walkabout.


Meanwhile on the other table Tim's orcish hordes swarm across the board. Again my shields have been repainted, so no more lidless eyes. There's a group of goblins in the middle that certainly aren't Minifigs. Exactly what they are I'm not sure. Bought them in a bring and buy.


Steve and I were back at it. He got his Behemoth's sorted out this time, with a heavy flank presence.


This is where the battle would be decided. I'm a little exposed here, with my blades losing out to Steve's Behemoths. My hero General (again not one of my figures) is doing okay, but my wizard is being steadily driven back due to the presence of Steve's white robed cleric.


I was doing okay. I'd got Steve three bases down, so only needed one for the win. He'd killed one of mine, and then in a final round where I couldn't hit anything (I mean two 5:2 roll offs and a 5:1 and no kills...how fair is that?) he rolled up my General and my Magician to sneak a 4:3 win.

As games they aren't that exciting with these troop mixes. The spear/blade combo means you have to create a meat grinder somewhere. They Gondorians could do with some horse, but Chris has taken all of that to make an army of Rohirrim. 

But so what. It was fun to reacquaint myself with these old fellows, and see they haven't gone to landfill.

PS We did a follow up game in the 18th June as well. Chris is making real progress on the figure refurbs:


He's also added some GW LotR figures that Steve no longer wants, so there's quite a collection building.





Comments

  1. I've still got my 1970s copy of those rules, somewhere! Similar to you I start collecting the Minifigs and used Airfix Robin Hood figures to fill in for Elves and Wild Men - I got hold of some plastic mammoths from the Museum shop for "Oliphants" from Far Harad. WH Britains Zoo range also provided things like Giant Eagles. The creativity of those days was supported by the likes of Featherstone and Wise showing how figures could be converted. Great to see these old figures battling away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a Britain's baby elephant I used for an oliphaunt. Didn't bother with eagles. I used Robin Hood & Sheriff of Nottingham figures for the good guys and ancient brits for orcs. 7th cavalry got converted for for the Riders of Rohan.

      Delete
  2. The mystery swordsmen are indeed Garrison Anglo-Saxon housecarles with their shields filed down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A real interesting read and it's great to see such old warriors on the table, nice they are still being used and not consigned to a bin, that would have been a shame, great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minifigs have such a distinctive look. I'm glad Chris has repurposed them. It was fun to see them out again.

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see these veterans on the table . They were some of the first metal figures l collected in more than ones or two. I had an opponent at school. I had the Mythical Earth for both sides and he had Napoleonic naval ships. On a Saturday we would go to each other’s house and have a day gaming both periods. I somehow lost my ME collection- I think left at a friend’s flat where they were being used for D and D . Over the years recently l rebuilt the collection to add to the few figures l had left from my youth. E bay buys allowed me to collect this veterans once more. They are still some of my favourites and bring joy to the table still.
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear some one is giving them love. They're not the most sophisticated of figures, but they have a certain charm and they work better as wargaming figures in units than the modern 28mm stuff, in my not really that humble opinion.

      Delete
  5. I also had a fair number of Minifigs ME figures, but we used to play the SELWG? Middle Earth rules. Ah those snappy Gondorian spearmen, I remember them well. I sold the lot in the late 90s, then acquired various HoTT armies in 15mm. They all got sold too. I think I prefer my fantasy games to be on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SELWG did produce some ME rules, I think. I went for these W&W as they had the troop types I wanted in them and mechanisms I recognised as well as being in my price range. If I'd kept them I don't think I'd have been adding to their numbers, looking at the prices on Ebay.

      Delete
  6. Old soldiers never die: they just get repainted in someone else's army. I think they call it reincarnation. I've never been that much of a Fantasy fan myself, but with game systems like HotT I can well understand the attraction. Part of it is the creativity and imagination that goes into building some of the armies I've seen.
    I've never really understood the politicking that goes on between Fantasy and non-Fantasy players, especially considering there are many who step easily from one genre to the other.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a big LotR fan from my early teens, so doing that as a wargames army seemed to make sense, and there was enough detail in the books to have a decent stab at what the armies looked like and fought. I don't know that generic fantasy does it for me as an ongoing type of game, as I do like a bit of context. I can understand why some don't see the overlap. One of our group came to wargaming through a love of history, so that's why he's only interested in doing historical games. I came to it because I liked toy soldiers and games. I was wargaming before I realised that history was what I really loved as a subject, for which I have my secondary school history teacher to blame.

      Delete
    2. I was the same way, I discovered gaming first in the form of historicals (while getting a history degree, too), but got entirely the wrong impression of the state of the hobby and was very confused when the local stores had nothing but Warhammer. I played 40K for a long time before I managed to turn up a historical group, and still dabble in it.

      Our club has gotten big into DBA, so HOTT might be an interesting change. I will look into it!

      Delete
    3. HOTT is a neat little system, and very well done for the subject matter. (Sorry for delay in processing your comment - I've been in Kyrgyzstan)

      Delete
  7. "Chris K has been working on and off with the playtest group hoping to publish the updated "Hordes of the Things", to be called DBF"

    My understanding is that DBF is a large battle set and not intended as a replacement for HOTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting my info second hand, I'll admit. That would explain the more complicated points state.

      Delete

Post a Comment