You wait and then five or six come along at once

We resolved last week to play some DBA. Chris still didn't feel up to driving, so we were in his conservatory not SHQ. Besides. He has an ulterior motive. He wants to run a Risk style campaign. He's even drawn a map:

The Mappa Mundi in the IVth Age (c) Chris Kemp. Not to be reproduced without permission

His entreaty to us was to bring our latest armies, so I thought I'd better stop faffing about and get on and finish the Hussites. Boy, has that army caused me some grief. I haven't blogged about building the artillery piece, which caused me a whole lot of grief as I had to build a split trail device for the gun and do major surgery to make the doors fit.


The recent spell of hot weather meant there was a daily window of perfect painting temperature, with the acrylics drying almost instantly on the figure. The use of a wet palette was essential, but I had to work early morning before the paint actually dried on the brush.

I finished - except for the flags - with about three hours to spare.


Their first game was against Tim with my medieval Germans. Luckily we're both arable, which suits me. Hussites are Aggression 3 (Wow!!) but I guess that's a rules fudge to give them a decent chance of deploying second as the army isn't very mobile and that could seriously disadvantage it.


Here's my first deployment. I went for the artillery option (second from the right) and the knight general. The aim on the left is to swing those blades out to cover the flank and use the general as a mobile reserve. As War Wagons have some odd foibles, I prepared a crib sheet:






Here they are from the other side. They look a bit like a travelling circus. Or a car park. That amused Chris all evening. 


A bit bemused, Tim went for a frontal attack with a flanking move by his knights. My wagons blazed away, delaying the central contacts.


Ignore the six. I wasn't get enough PiPs to move those blades on my left as quickly as I'd liked. However, I drew first blood, killing a pike base.


I'm driving back the knights, and my blades are finally moving. The artillery is annoyingly just falling short of killing anything.


Coached by Chris, Tim makes contact. 


Then Tim doubled one of my wagons, blowing a hole in the line. I retaliate by finally killing one of his knights on the left hand end of my line.


The wagon is quickly followed by my artillery. I am driving Tim's knights off, but I just can't get a kill anywhere else.


Tim kills one of the blades on my right flank. That's three elements lost. I can't work out where I'm going to get any back. Perhaps my general will pull something out of the hat.


Alas no. Spears do for another of my War Wagons, and that's a 4:2 win to Tim. An intriguing game for both of us, that took about twice as long as normal. The Wagons are something of a learning curve.


Tim and Chris swapped seats, and Chris pulled out his Polish army. Unhappy with the quality of my photos, I've played with the filters and made them worse. I have swapped out the artillery for mercenary knights, and upgraded my General to a War Wagon (he's three from the right in a grey wagon with three crew).


The templates are woods (goody! I can make more wagons!). The Hill is Gentle. Chris decided to try and flank the position by marching across my front. I seem to recall him doing this in another game, although not against Hussites. Obviously.

I had enough PiPs to move my wagon line up, and unfurl the blades to my left. The knights are acting as a reserve. My shooting has started to muss up Chris's spear formations. I've killed some bowmen hiding in the woods.


More PiPs mean I can wheel my line round to reduce Chris' space some more. His cavalry (not knights) have pushed back one of my blade units, but I've killed one of his cavalry elements. His spear units are all over the place due to my firing.


This is looking really good. Chris is hampered by a couple of 1 PiP rolls in succession, so he can't reform his spear units in to a group. I'm able to bring my Blades into line at the end of the wagons, and continue to squeeze Chris's space. I then shot and killed a spear base.


I was then able to force contacts on my left, and killed a bow unit and a lone spear. 5:0 to the Hussites.

I may have been luckier in the second game, but I think I'm getting the hang of these guys maybe a bit. I was able to funnel Chris onto my killing troops, partly because he seemed to be reluctant to engage the line. This was despite Tim showing that Spears are quite good against Wagons.

So W1 L1 F7 A4 in first two games, which is pretty good for such a different army.

They will surely be back.


Comments

  1. Love the Map, and the colourful side of the War Wagons, which I initially mistook to be a Toy Train (should have gone to a High Street Opticians). It looks like a great project - between you do you have all the necessary armies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if we have all the armies. Phil has a lot. I have some of them in 20mm as subsets of my Armati/Basic Impetus armies.

      Delete
  2. Se ven geniales las figuras en la mesa y es cierto que los carros recuerdan un poco a un circo ambulante o a un muro de carros al más puro estilo Western, aunque lucen muy bien.
    Muchas gracias por tu artículo, me divertí mucho.
    Un saludo desde España.
    MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that description. "Travelling Circus", after "Toy Train", when I was going for roadside billboards as the look.

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised by Chris' map which locates the Hussites in Central Asia......☺
    Is it so he can have a crack at them with his Chinese and Tibetans or does he have some previously unknown esoteric information on their origins? ☺
    "Ach ja, the steppes of Bohemia.....nein, nein not DAT Prague.....de Prague on der Silk Road...."
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 15th century map. You're lucky most of it doesn't say "here be dragons". I have a load of Caucasian silk road armies which aren't on there. Besides, with an aggression of 3, the Hussites could go anywhere they liked.

      Delete
    2. Easily solved by an invasion :-)

      Delete
    3. There are dragons ... Chinese ones. :-)

      Delete
  4. Super concept, the map is great and this should be a great project to watch unfold. Your Hussite army looks grand indeed, the war wagons are very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pleased with the look, although I think that army falls into the "I wouldn't have started from here" category.

      Delete
  5. New Zealand/ Aotearoa yet to be discovered in Mappa Mundi IVth Age, perhaps? Nice map though.

    The Hussite Army looks pretty colourful. I'm wondering - probably wrongly - if maybe the standard plan would become 'Second Manassas' - a static wing like a wall, and a mobile wing like a swinging door. Just a thought...
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disappointed at the absence of NZ. I won't be buying Maoris anytime soon on account of it. You are right on the battle plan. Shove the wagons as far to one side as possible and cover the gap with the LH, whilst swinging round with the knights and blades on the other flank.

      Delete
    2. NZ is Terra Incognito Austral. Im sure that whoever invades it will find Maoris, or amazons, or giant Terror Kiwis :-)

      Delete
  6. The army looks fantastic and one win from two games is not bad especially with something as different as the Hussites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was worried when it went badly in the first game, so I'm grateful to Chris for making such a cock of game two.

      Delete
  7. The Hussites look lovely, well worth the effort! I'm glad they redeemed themselves in the second game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite so. There was a lot of sweat and pain went into them, so a 2:0 would have been harsh reward for a first outing.

      Delete
  8. I was doomed as soon as the Wagons moved forward and disrupted the spear line. Of course, I should have just charged the spears forward in a straight line; serves me right for trying to be clever! :-)

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris - you may not be aware of this, but we all know you will head for a flank in any game you play in. Consequently leaving one open to tempt you to attack it has good payback percentage.

      Delete
  9. Wrote a comment that blogger swallowed. I was doomed with the spears as soon as I tried to do something clever. :-)

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment