Summing Up 2019

Time for the annual review of games*. This is the third time I've done this, so it is always interesting to look back at what I've been up to. I'm pleased to say that the number of games is up again, and is comfortably over the one a week average I aim at. 17 periods is more, too, by 1, but rules sets at down by one. The Shedquarters effect, - the discipline of having a time and place to play every week - is the prime driver of this, although the uptick is also due in part to being retired.



For the third year in a row Ancients top the list, but that's because the period is so vast. What I wouldn't have predicted would have been the number of WOTR games and "Hail Caesar", although I probably should have, because of the Edgcote anniversary. At the end of last year I predicted more medieval skirmish and RCW. Neither of those happened in any great quantity. The main contributor of RCW games was Monday Night Richard, who gave us three goes at "Triumph and Tragedy."

The development/publication projects for the year feature towards the top of both lists, but not as many games as I thought I had played, - especially of "Va T'en Ecosse". There might be some solo stuff missing from the list. Of the games I thought I'd have played more, there's "Fighting Sail" (although there are mitigating circumstances, - there should have been at least two more of those), and there is no ECW at all, which is a major surprise to me, as is the absence of anything in the 19th century Sudan.

I've got some stuff in there I'd never have predicted, too. Cod Wars? What's all that about?

I need to have a think about 2020. "Taiping Era" is due for publication after "It's Getting a Bit Chile", so that'll need to get out on the table at some point. The current painting project is Montrose Scots (more bl**dy tartan) so some ECW might be on the cards as well. After "Taiping Era", I may want to publish either "Va T'en Guerre" or "Va t'en Ecosse". Perhaps in the same booklet? Not sure about that. SCW was down in 2019 as was my own RCW, so areas for investigation there. Oh, and I bought a load of industrial buildings to use with my Dr Who figures that haven't seen the tabletop yet. And I'm going to India on holiday next year, so goodness knows what that will trigger off.

Otherwise the shape of my wargaming year will most likely hang around COW in the summer, the SOSA conference in the autumn and the quarterly whole days alternating between Shedquarters and the West Country. We are thinking of doing some other shows as well, and I'm not sure if that'll make a difference. If we rest Edgcote then that'll reduce the number of WOTR/Hail Caesar games. That reminds me. I'm expecting to take my mini-Edgcote board to "Joy of Six", so I need a rules solution for that which isn't "Hail Caesar".

So, a Happy New Year to all of you out there, and keep an eye out for me at the various shows I end up at. It's always good to talk.

*This includes the game I'm playing next Monday, so I'm a little bit ahead of myself.

Comments

  1. That's a pretty packed wargaming year...I'll have to get myself a Shedquarters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a Shedquarters is recommended, although if you can find another way of funding its construction other than being made redundant and ape sing your payoff on it, that's recommended too.

      Delete
    2. That should be "spending" not "ape sing", but I like the idea of singing apes, so I'll leave the original reply as is.

      Delete
    3. Nice count. I was just made redundant last month but I expect I will not be allowed to build a shed quarters. Hope to get a bit more gaming in though next year.

      Delete
    4. Syrinxo: I was going to build Shedquarters when I retired (ie in 2020) out of my lump sum. Once I'd got a contract post redundancy it seemed the right thing to do to build it out of my redundancy payment instead and start to get use out of it. Actually it was Mrs T who suggested I didn't wait. She project managed the build, too, as I was in London working. She's a real treasure.

      Delete
  2. That’s a very wide range of rule sets even considering the large range of periods. Do you find it beneficial to use a wide range of rules (different perspectives)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do. Plus many rules are better for subsets of the period covered. Basic Impetus is good for medieval, for example. Hail Caesar I wouldn't bother with again.

      Delete
  3. I'll look forward to bloody tartans ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good name for Highland warfare. Hmmmmm.....

      Delete
  4. 2019 was a varied, extensive, and jam-=packed year at your wargaming table. I cannot imagine getting a weekly game in. Perhaps when I am retired?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mainly down to intention and planning. The last 5 or 6 years we have wargamed every Tuesday. As it is pretty much a fixed date I make sure I meet it and shift the rest of things around to make certain I do. It is easy to find a reason not to game. Make a point of doing so and the number of games goes up.

      Delete
  5. The man with the plan! I have a feeling a certain pattern of titles is emerging - so I won't be surprised if 'Armageddon outta here' or 'Where did Mediggo?' appears on the publication list, or 'How did Marengo?'

    Possibly one of the problems I have had with 'Ancients', which for some reason extends even unto the fringes of the Early Modern period, if you believe WRG, is that it seems to extend even unto the fringes of the Early Modern period.

    I played a fair bit of DBM at a time it was popular, but never really enjoyed the games all that much (though I won quite a bit more than I lost). Only once in ten or more years did I get an historical opponent for my Byzantines, and that was only very approximately: another Byzantine army of a slightly different time.

    I had to supply my own historical opponent - but if doing that, one might as well play solo...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all the titles are puns. In fact, that's about it, I think. The others are variations on famous phrases or quotations.

      Ancients is too big a period, that's why I put in Medieval as well. I should have split them down further when I started doing the counts, but I can't be bothered to go back and re-work the numbers.

      We've never really done DBM. I don't really like PIP systems. It's fine for DBA but applying it to everything else gets a bit tiresome.

      As we mainly wargame chez mois with a group of local players I find I mostly do both armies as I'm the only one obsessing over a particular campaign or war. I don't think that means solo gaming, however. I just get others to push my toys around.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I was pleased with it. I foresee a drop off next year.

      Delete

Post a Comment