Fed Up with Fiddly

 So, fed up with fiddling with those bl**dy elephants (well, the undercoat is drying in the garage, to be honest) I thought I'd have a go at another mini-project.

This is a really mini project. It's 2mm ECW, using figure blocks from Ian Kay at Irregular.

Before everyone says "I can't paint anything that small" I'd point out that I get free eye tests and also have had neck and arm surgery that reduces my motor skills slightly. So, if I can do it....

So, what were the results? This first batch of pictures was taken with my SLR using a 7mm extension tube that requires manual focussing (remember that?)


These are Prince Rupert's Blue Coats. I think you can see the blue coats and breeches, plus the distinctive black and white standard. On some of them you can pick out the muskets and the faces and hands.


This is a New Model regiment, probably Skippon's as it has a green flag. They have red coats and grey breeches. Again, muskets and flesh just about visible.


Here they are side by side. Each of them has a 20mm frontage

After taking off the extension ring I had a go with just the macro setting on the camera, which meant I could use auto focus.


Here we are with Prince Rupert's to the fore. Not bad results. I do have a better camera than last time I tried this, so perhaps they've improved the macro functionality.


And again, side by side with the macro function. Although the flash fired for this shot, it was a bit dark, so I've used MS Photo to brighten them up.

So, what does the group think? They've come out okay to my mind, and they aren't hard to paint. I have some cavalry blocks to do next before I make up my mind completely, and I might take a photo or two of them on my 6mm Edgcote board to see what they look like on terrain before I finally commit to the project.

Just wondering if I should stick labels on the back of the bases, and if so, how.


Comments

  1. I have painted a few up and think the basing might be the problem a lot of small scale figures get overwhelmed by the bases and also which rules , Hmm ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't going to do anymore basing, other than have a little label with the regiment name peeping out of the back. As for rules...well at the moment I'm looking at doing them for a scale display model, so not thought that far ahead. Anyway, me being me, I'd write something especially for them.

      Delete
  2. I have a fair number of these but I went in a slightly different direction. I used blocks from the Horse and musket lists and pike only blocks to create 100 man infantry units. I then block several of those together to form a regiment. It brings out the actual linear formations as the regiments (battalia pick the term you like) are much longer for their depth than the pre done pike and shot castings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting idea. My requirement is to get a believable looking regiment sized unit in a given area so I have a consistent sized foot print with the scale of the terrain. 6mm I think is too big, as I reckon 1" or so frontage is about right.

      Delete
    2. I like the idea of blocking several together to have units of 100 plus. Must look really effective.

      Delete
    3. The infantry blocks I'm using are in theory 45 "figures". For what I need them to do I don't think I can increase the footprint.

      Delete
  3. Oh I forgot to say as for rules I will send you a copy of the ones I have written. Been meaning to do that for a while TBH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Rules aren't a priority at the moment, it is whether the underlying project is viable.

      Delete
  4. I think these regiments of foote look very impressionist just the look one wants at this size. A whole table of these little stands would remind me very much of the old woodcuts from the 30YW with troops arrayed for battle. If that is the look you are striving for then this works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The intention is to produce something that looks like Streeter's map of Naseby, so that's a good guess.

      Delete
  5. Ive got a load of these and I base them in multiples on card the same as everything else.

    The main problem I have on the table is keeping them facing the right direction so I paint a strip of nationality specific colour on the rear base edge (orange for Dutch, yellow Imperials etc). I've Magnabased them too so I can put the sabot bases, a full Tercio looks quite impressive. I aim for a 1:3 figure ratio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'll have a strip at the back with the regiment name on it. Storage is an issue, as I haven't worked that out. For what I want to do I think magnabase will be too thick.

      Delete
  6. Hi Graham. Rob Grace sent me an email stating that he could not post from his Google account. He asked me to post the following to this discussion:

    =======COMMENT STARTS===========

    They give a pretty good impression of units at distance as per the paintings by Pieter Snayers. As for rules, there's a very interesting grand tactical approach on The Perfect Captain at:

    http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/Pikes.html

    They're free to download but get them soon as there's a rumour that The Perfect Captain is folding soon.

    ======COMMENT ENDS=============

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know why he can't post from his Google account, although I see that this comment from you went into my Spam folder. He's right about the distance look, which I guess is what Ian Kay was after.

      I haven't had a look at the Perfect Captain for quite a while, so I might drop by and have a look.

      Delete
    2. My message must have found its way into your SPAM folder due to the embedded link, I bet. I must keep that in mind for future reference.

      Delete
    3. Could be. I've been getting more going there since the last system update.

      Delete
  7. Nice work there on the 2mm Trebian. Over the years I've had several goes at 2mm -though never completed a project- it is good to see them painted properly. Regards. KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It helped having a magnifier light to do these, but otherwise not really a problem. The last 2mm type project I did was at uni, when I went all in on an ACW project. Hated it and dumped them.

      Delete

Post a Comment