My friend wrote some rules.

 


My friend Bob Cordery wrote some Spanish Civil War rules and sent me a copy. Most of you will know of Bob, as I think most of my followers are a subset of his, or at least the Venn Diagram would show a good amount of overlap. Bob has published as lot of sets of rules in the last 5 years since the self publishing boom began, mainly grouped around his successful "Portable Wargame". He has also, compared to me, sold a lot of copies. This is his first set using Amazon publishing instead of LuLu.

I have known Bob a long time. Over 40 years. Throughout that time he has flown the flag for the Spanish Civil War as a period. He has given me a lot of encouragement over the years, as well as buildings and books. Consequently it seemed odd to me that he hadn't released an SCW set of rules under his own imprint. He has now rectified that.

The trigger was finding a copy of his "!ARRIBA ESPAÑA!" rules in as second hand shop at silly money prices. These were originally published by Partisan Press back in the late 1980s/early 90s. He has done a makeover and repackaged them with an SCW Portable wargame variant, and very kindly sent me a copy.

Now, I didn't think I'd played "AE", nor did I think I had a copy of them either.

Turns out I sort of did. And not just one copy.

In the 1980s in the early days sometimes WD would publish one off sets of rules and guides written by the cognoscenti and send them out as part of the annual subscription. In 1987 it included an 8 page set of Spanish Civil War rules. These were for 1/300 scale figures (in Bob's case, all conversions) based as platoons and used for Brigade level games

I recall seeing these being played, I think, but I don't recall if I ever played a game with them. At the time they were for a figure scale I did not care for and I was also struggling to come to terms with how to wargame anything in the post Napoleonic period, especially the 20th century. I read them, of course, as I was then, as now, always on the look out for ideas. 

So when AE arrived - a set of rules I was sure I didn't own - I was surprised by a massive dose of déjà vu. So I turned to my box of rules, and these were there. Sure enough, the bones of AE are clearly visible. 

And the cover - I was sure I'd seen that before. Sure enough, again, I had. Sort of. In my rules box was the upgrade Bob printed in 1988 and handed out for free at COW. I remember, very distinctly, saying at the time that the 28 page booklet was worth a fiver, and he should have a word with Dave Ryan at Partizan Press (my chum Pete Berry had just published File Leader, which was about the same size). 

I'm not claiming credit for Bob getting them published, but may be I nudged him that way if he wasn't already thinking about it.

This version is expanded from the 1987 pamphlet, and introduces Divisional level rules. And also has the period propaganda art on the cover*.

Which brings us to "!ARRIBA ESPAÑA!".

As far as I can see AE is virtually the same as the grey cover rules - values have been tweaked for base sizes, movement and combat (you can now use the rules for 1/200 and 1/72 scale figures as well as 1/300), but the core system is unchanged. 

AE is clearly a game system written for the SCW, of which I heartily approve. At its heart is a command and control system that places stress on the Republic's inherent problem with its various factions, and then an air superiority system that varies based on the year of the war. The variations are all dice driven and random, giving the basics for a scenario construction system depending upon the year of the war. The Republicans don't know the political allegiance of the brigade commanders and the political leanings of the individual units until they are diced for at the start of the game. The commander ability level is also rolled for. This is all very well done, and will/was popular with wargamers. (It isn't something I've ever done in my own rules, as I'm usually umpiring games and have written or devised a scenario and don't want a lot of randomness mucking about with what I've set up and don't see the point in sitting in Shedquarters on my own rolling dice to set up a game. I may be alone in this point of view).

"!ARRIBA  ESPAÑA!" was and is a ground breaking set of SCW rules, and if I hadn't just published "For Whom The Dice Rolls" I'd be recommending them to everyone and adopting their use. My only criticism of the production is that the small page size - just over A5 - and limited page count means that the tables follow on one another in an almost frenetic fashion and the rules in bullet form aren't always given the room that they need. I, personally, also like to start each new topic on a new page if I can so I can see everything as far as I can at once with minimal page turning and few distractions. I'd also like a QRS, as the first thing I'd need to do if I was going to play with them would be to re-type or scan all the tables to put them on one or two sides of A4. The rules are simple enough to allow for this to be done.

The second half of the book is a Spanish Civil War variant of The Portable Wargame. The main change, I think, to the original early/mid 20th century rules Bob has previously published  is to bolt the political control and air superiority rules from AE onto the system. He may have altered some of the combat values, but I don't know for sure. TPW is at heart a very simple system with minimal mechanisms in each period. What this means is that Bob doesn't have to fiddle around with a lot of fine detail to change the period setting (this is Neil Thomas' trick with his OHW and other rules). It also means that the level of resolution is abstract. In AE there's no ground scale, but units are defined as a company and the game Brigade/Divisional. In the TPW rules there's no ground scale or figure scale so I don't know what each base represents, other than a "unit". My guess is that it's a battalion for infantry, and the rest are in proportion, but that it doesn't matter. After all, it's played on a chessboard, chess is a wargame and no one queries the unit sizes for that. 

I will need to give the rules a go and see how they play, so they will pop up as a Monday Night Game in the next few weeks. Normally I do not like rules for other periods being tweaked for specific periods. I've said elsewhere that the SCW isn't "WW2 Lite", nor is it "WW1 Plus", but this is Bob and he knows more about the period than pretty much any other wargamer, I'd guess, so he knows what he is doing.

I should also add that Bob has gone to the trouble of sticking seven scenarios in the back of the book, some of which are multi-game scenarios where you have to win one game to move on to the next. Excellent. It is something I should do more of.

Finally, there's a good resources section for books and films. It includes FWTDR, so I can't complain.

But I would like a QRS for these as well. Please.


* I originally had a lot of this sort of poster art in FWTDR and on the cover. I then discovered that many of the artists lived into the 1950s, and so we are still within the copyright period for the ones I wanted to use.
















Comments

  1. Thanks for the review and I will probably get a copy, as there seems to be a lot in there of interest. Alongside FWTDR and the BKC SCW supplement, I'll have plenty of choice:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob has priced the very cheaply, so you pick them up on spec. I'm tempted by a Kindle version so I can screen grab for the QRS.

      Delete
  2. Great review. My copy arrived this week and looks like a great set of rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I reserve judgement until I have played them, but I hope they work, as this period is Bob's passion.

      Delete
  3. Already got a download on my Kindle today..looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't take you long. Don't let it distract you from playing "For Whom the Dice Rolls", of course.

      Delete
  4. You’re not helping my resolve to avoid another period. But I became fascinated with the SCW in the early 80s with a passing interest in Anarchism at school, a course at Uni then the Channel 4 series. It’s about time really. Hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grab hold of Anthony Beevor's book for a good, single volume perspective written in a readable style. I think it is a period that deserves more attention and interest.

      Delete
  5. Enjoyable post, Graham! I cannot determine exactly how these rules might play so I look forward to your hosting of games using these rules. Having a number of scenarios included is a bonus. looking forward to running through a few of them. I will be very interested in seeing how the two authors approach the conflict and at what level of detail (or abstraction) are modelled within. Well, I know yours!

    Also, you have mentioned a number of times that SCW is not WWII-Lite. What exactly does this mean in the context of wargames rules? Is WWII-Regular focused on integrated combined arms and blitzkrieg tactics? How does SCW differ from early war tactics and combats? This topic might be a useful addition to FWTDR' Design Notes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will run at least one game of TPW, as I said, to see how it plays as it is very much flavour of the month. Then possibly have a run through of AE, although its order system will need a change or two for on line play. FWTDR certainly has more tactical detail and less abstraction, as is generally a more involved game.

      For me in terms of designing rules for the SCWE you start from there and build out, rather than start from WW2 and cut back. The mind set needs to be different. It isn't blitzkrieg, and it has all the messiness that goes with civil wars. Poorly trained and equipped militias, fanatical ideologues and so on. You'll know from having played the game and read the rules what is important in FWTDR and what is hard. It is a smaller scale war, often, and it has less armour, air support and artillery than WW2, and it has a mis-firing command process, at least on the side of the Republic.

      I suppose the question for me is whether FWTDR can be "built forwards" to the invasion of Poland or the Fall of France, and what changes I would need to make for it to be plausible.

      Delete
  6. Very nice. I like the Portable Wargame rules and have experimented with them, but am limited to 8x8 chessboards and paper terrain so haven't had the opportunity to really take them out for a spin. Hope you get good use out of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm unlikely to get a lot of use out of them, as once I've tried them to form a proper view I'll go back to playing my own rules, I would think. TPW is great if you have limited space and time - like OHW - but neither applies to me, so I do not have to compromise in terms of what I put in my games.

      Delete
  7. Hi Graham,

    TPW or OHW is not necessarily a compromise that one is cornered into. It may be just a case of preferring shorter, simpler games that still contain challenging decision points.

    Cheers

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither system has a coherent figure or ground scale. I play OHW and enjoy it for specific purposes, but I don't think the challenges it presents have anything to do with the periods being modelled. It is, inevitably, abstract in concept and design. I have tried OHW for SCW and it entertainied for a evening, but I'm not sure it said anything about the period. I reserve judgement on TPW, but I have played the 19th century version and it was a good game. I was unconvinced as a model for the ACW, which was in theory what we were playing. But then many will tell you that Monopoly is a great game, but it is a poor model of economics.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the review Trebian - I sense the SCW will at some point be a future project, so yours and Bob's are "on the list" - a small matter of ruthlessly finishing some other projects first

      Delete
    3. Ahh...the idea of finishing projects before moving on to the next. How quaint.

      Delete

Post a Comment