Slight change of Ottoplan

The next set of figures under the brush for the Ottoman army were supposed to be janissaries, but I'm having some second thoughts abut how to base them, so I did some more cavalry. This time it is the Redbox Akinci set 2. These are lighter cavalry that Sipahis previously presented.

I had some thinking to do with these as well. I was undecided whether to do them two figures to a base rather than three. In the end I went for three. Why, I hear you ask. Well, the problem is that firstly I can't get my head around exactly how the Ottomans fight, and secondly, by the start of the 18th century these guys are dressed more like sipahis than the sipahi figures. By this time, body armour is in decline, and most men are wearing the kaftan. I think.


The box has 12 figures, six each of two poses. They're a bit 2 dimensional, with compromises made with the sword waving and bows to fit in the mould. Seeing as these figures date from 2016, this is a bit disappointing, as I've got Jacobite period stuff from them which is older, but better made.

As the the sipahi figures the detail is there, but a bit indistinct. I couldn't work out exactly what everything was. It took me a couple of goes to realise the officer has a leopard skin over his shoulder.


Again the faces are a bit indistinct, but probably in practice accurately made. Figures tend to have details over emphasised for effect. The guy on the left is drawing his bow, which is moulded to his arm, hence the curious curve.


The horses are also a disappointment, and aren't made specifically for these figures, so there's some work to make them fit. Some of the poses are a bit iffy too. Still, they'll do once they're in a mass, charging at the hapless Hapsburgs.

The quality is a shame, as I'm probably going to need several more boxes of these. I think I'll be buying some set 2 boxes as well, which will pass muster as sipahis more suited to the period than the other box I painted.


Comments

  1. They may look rough up close but when viewed en masse and from above the table, mass and splash of color are what catch the eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they'll look good as a unit, but when they will be up against hussars, based on those French Dragoons you painted I fear they may be shown up a little.

      Delete

Post a Comment