Where did I put those?

There was a discussion on a local wargame club FB page about old GW figures. It soon degenerated into a who has got the oldest figure competition. 

As I don't do Warhammer etc this is sort of a game I can't play. Or don't really want to.

Then I remembered something. Back when I did some tempting in a GW store c1982, they gave away promo figures when a branch opened. I had some of them. So I wondered if they were still about. They were. In a bits and pieces box.

There were three that I remember having, from the more northerly store openings. I think London had the first one, which was some sort of generic D&D adventurer. You have to remember that this was when the stores still had the rights to sell D&D, just about, and were also a general board game & video game shop. I was working in Sheffield. Our promo figure was an unarmoured samurai. Not all that interesting - except no one made such a figure at the time - but I picked up several for samurai skirmish games. I seem to have lost them, however, or given them to someone who cared about samurai more that I did.
The Nottingham shop had a bit more whimsy and a bit less practicality and produced a a Robin Hood dwarf figure (or "Dwarven Ranger" if you miss the point). He's a charming little fellow, and I evidently started to paint him with all the various shades of green in my paintbox then got bored.

Manchester's figure was a "Rabbit Assassin". This would probably be a Robot Assassin these days. I don't know what the derivation of the idea was, but then I didn't play D&D. It's probably a thing. Nice figure. Again I had a start at painting it, having blackwashed the mail armour, but then never finished it. On reflection it might have been that I'd got myself a proper job at that point, packed up and headed for home. Twelve months later I was married and working like mad to get up the corporate ladder, so painting items of whimsy weren't high on my agenda.
Anyway, having found them, I posted a picture and people went "Wow!" and so on. I then checked on ebay. That little dwarf fellow last sold on ebay for £37 in 2016. There's one on the site now for £70. The rabbit I can't find anywhere. Question is then, do I sell them or paint them or put them back in the box?

In the end I decided that I'd paint them, and put them in a display cabinet. At least the kids will know they're of value when they come to wind up the estate, rather than take them down the tip.

In preparation I stuck them in a bath of paint striper over night. They've cleaned up okay, so I guess they'll be featuring in a future "look what I done" type post. 

In the meantime they're a reminder of a different era.



Comments

  1. They're lovely, and very characterful. There are a couple sites with the old GW catalogues out there - they did quite a few offbeat ranges before they settled down with their own proprietary stuff - and even the early versions of Warhammer and 40K had some crazy models.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Complete Adventurer with the kitchen sink on the top of the back pack was a favourite of mine. They also released a Cerebus the Aardvark range, breaching copyright. Supposedly that was because Bryan Ansell carved the figures for his own use, and no one told the production staff.

      Delete
  2. The rabbit assassin may have been a nod to Bunnies and Burrows, one of the numerous spin off RPGs in the late 70s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. We had someone in our group back when I was at school who bought a copy of that. Never got it to work satisfactorily.

      Delete

Post a Comment