COW 2023 - Saturday Afternoon - Ivan Goes to Missenden

I had a bit of a hectic set up for my afternoon game. Firstly I discovered that my allocated room didn't have enough tables or space. Thanks goes to Alex for amending the programme on my behalf and swapping me into the main room. The light wasn't brilliant in that room because there were several of the ceiling bulbs out. A quick run to reception, and they sent some one to replace them.

Meanwhile I was busy putting out the toys out, which took longer than expected so I got to lunch late.

Just add players

After a hasty meal, it was back to the room to greet the players.

The White players hurriedly discuss their strategy

The Whites consisted of Alan and Colin, assisted by Phil from our local group as an expert adviser. The Reds were Toby, Nigel and Richard from Shed West. We were joined by a few observers, and Phil swapped out for Ian at the half way stage.

Take that, White Guards!

Richard, in command of the Red Armoured Train, rolled it forwards, then plastered the White Cossacks with some artillery fire from the off table Heavy Train. They retired fairly sharpish.

Same to you, Reds!

The Whites rapidly deployed their artillery battery and let fly at the Red cavalry. 

Forwards!

The Whites deployed their Officer battalion into skirmish order, and advanced across the table. Full marks to John DS, who was watching, for noting that the name of the station (which you can't see from this angle) is from Doctor Zhivago.

Workers Dismount!

The Reds rushed up their motorised infantry to cover the gap created by the damage done to their cavalry.

Workers Advance!

Richard moved the train forwards, making the appropriate noises, egged on by the other players. Concerned about a possible close assault on it, he advanced his infantry in support.

Charge!

Seeing the Red motorised infantry milling about, the Whites launched a charge at them. The infantry were driven back but not routed.

Charge! and Charge again!

There then followed a hectic period of charge and counter charge, as an epic cavalry battle ensued.

They've got armoured cars!

Team Red suddenly went pensive. The Whites had stuck two armoured cars on the cross roads. What to do about them?

More cavalry action

The cavalry action continued. It had now moved beyond epic.

Wot? No glasses?

The Whites got an airstrike as an off table asset, and the umpire discovered he'd left the plastic wine glasses at home. Overshooting their appointed target of the armoured train, they shot up the Red infantry.

What's that banging on the carriage?

Almost as a last act, the Whites finally got the range of the train with the gun on a Garford Putilov that had just arrived.

Teaching a lot of new players all at once on a fairly involved scenario wasn't too bad, but it did mean we went quite a bit slower than what I have become used to. It also meant that the camera didn't get out as much as it really needed to for me to track the action fully. I've missed that Garford turning up. One of the White armoured cars caught fire at some point as well, so it was all go.

I think the players all enjoyed themselves. Several parted with cash for a copy of the rules, so it can't have been all bad.

And then it was time to tidy up before dinner.


Comments

  1. We will get the hang of the rooms next year, I did think Syndicate 9 was going to be a bit small for you when you put your stuff in there! The worst was Syndicate 8, which was tiny with a small round table.

    Glad the game went well, I took a few photos of the setup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sums up how confused I was by the whole layout that I didn't even clock how unsuitable the room was when I offloaded my kit. I didn't even look in Syndicate 8. As you say, we'll get the hang of the rooms over time. My problem may be that as someone who normally brings a crate or two for a single game is that several of the bigger rooms are on the first floor and I don't think there's a lift.

      Delete

Post a Comment