Looting the Caucasus

Did you know that Georgia (no, not that one, the one near Russia) has been invaded about 40 times*? The Timurids, for example, invaded it about eight times alone. Going on holiday there doesn't count as an invasion, so we didn't add to the number. Yes, the reason that it has been quiet around here is that we've been in the Caucasus for just over a fortnight, with five days in each of Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia. We got back on Sunday, two days ahead of our luggage, which finally turned up an hour ago, after an unexpected delay in Warsaw when it didn't get loaded onto the connecting flight.

The holiday gave me lots to think about, and has kicked off a new project revolving around collecting DBA armies for those that invaded or allied with Georgia in the 13th/14th centuries. It was in the back of my mind when I went, but when I came across these on various souvenir stall it got kicked to the front.



This one is the Jvari Monastery in Georgia. Jvari means cross, so that's not necessarily a lot of help. It dates from the 6th century, but this building is later. Possibly later than my target period, but so what. It'll do for a Georgian camp once it has had a lick of paint. After all, it isn't even 15mm scale. This one cost me about £5.


This as it says, is Khor Virap, which is in Armenia. This is down by the Turkish border, and was where Saint Gregory was imprisoned in a pit for 13 years. The buildings date from the 7th to 17th century, and this one is barely 6mm in scale. Don't know whether to sand the name plate off. A quick bit of negotiating on price got me it for £5.


And this, as you can see, is Mount Ararat. Our Armenian guide was keen to point out that Ararat is part of Armenia and is occupied by the Turks. It'll give something for my Armenians and Seljuks to fight over, when I get them painted. Which will be after I've ordered them. Strangely I'd been looking at this model quite a bit in various places, but baulked at paying the £8 the stall holders wanted. Then I saw it in a proper shop for £4. Which is the opposite of what usually happens.

Now, what's a good source for ready made DBA armies in 15mm for this region?

*According to our guide, Sophia, who was really lovely.










Comments

  1. The Georgian army (per DBA and DBM lists) is a nicely balanced one. But I can't find any list that dates before 1008. Which is odd because I know the Byzantines fought at least one battle against them in about 1002. They were called Abasgians then, apparently. My own 15mm Abasgian Army (now geared towards the Portable Wargames oeuvre) is based upon the 'Early Georgian' list.

    Have you seen an earlier list? I've looked several times, but that's no guarantee I haven't overlooked something.
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly haven't looked that hard. I was looking at 1200 - 1400 mainly, so it wasn't an issue. Have you looked at the enemies listed for the relevant Byzantines. It's possible they're called something other than Georgian. I'm not that bothered about how good the army is or whether it is balanced. I understand the Timurids are useless, but I'll be getting them eventually I expect. My initial list is Georgians, Cilician Armenians, Seljuks, Alans and Ilkhanid for starters.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Trebian - could be there is no such list, which, considering the thoroughness one is apt to associate with Phil Barker's oeuvre, is a little surprising. For some reason, when reading your blog posting I formed the (mistaken) impression you were looking more towards late Dark Ages or (more likely) early Mediaeval. Whatever period you're looking at, it looks like exciting times to come, south of the Caucasus.
      Cheers,
      Ion

      Delete

    3. Sometimes I have problems with the names WRG gives to certain armies, or even don't use. The northern borders were raided by the Lezgins from Dagezstan, but I can't work out what list that is in DBA speak. The pre-Georgian missing army is the Abkhazians.

      Just waiting on Essex to come back on a query on one of their army packs. I tried to put a list together from Museum miniatures, but their website is rubbish and you can't see the pictures properly.

      Delete
  2. Now that is the back of beyond. Flew to Tbilisi once with a rucksack half full of Airfix ACW figures for an expat who'd "won" them on e-Bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't postage cheaper, or did you fly Ryan Air?

      Delete

Post a Comment