A home for my nomads

I finished the armies for my Caucasus project, and they are all neatly boxed up.


As you'll know from the last post, the Armenians and Georgians have nice little resin buildings acquired "in country" to act as camps. But what about the others?

The Mongols (and possibly the Ilkhanids) probably need yurts. You can get resin yurts, but I know Phil has made yurts in the past, so I asked him how to do it. He made his from the tops of Tippex bottles. Interesting, but not helpful in the computer age. Cheaper to buy the resin. Or perhaps there's another option?

A quick Google search found a yurt activity sheet for schools, with a cut out yurt model. Too big in the form delivered, but a clip and resize meant I could get several on an A4 sheet of card:


I got six on the sheet, which is more than I need, but allows for the normal Trebian modelling catastrophe on the way.


It gets you the basic shape, which is what I really needed. I stuck a thin card tube down the hole to strengthen it (and to paint black) and added some card to make a wooden looking door.


I added a thin layer of diluted filler to the roof and walls to give it some texture and to fill in the gaps. I then glued them to a redundant credit card sized membership card for English Heritage. That's my go to sort of material for making DBA camp bases, as it's the right size.


Some more filler on the base with a sand layer, and a thick coat of Dulux match pot sort of white give me the felt type look I want. I contemplated making the restraining cords out of cotton, but decided it was easier to paint them instead.


There they are, with the base painted and dry brushed.


And with some of Ghengiz's finest.

All ready for their next outing.


 

Comments

  1. Looks great! And good thinking. As a children's librarian, I regularly repurpose gaming stuff for craft activities, and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always someone, somewhere, who has done a cut out model.

      Delete

Post a Comment