Kind words on Chile

A couple of people have now received their copies of the rules and have posted their reviews.

You can find Bob Cordery's review here: link, ("This is an excellent book in so many ways"and David Crook's here: link. ("He has taken a little known war and wrapped his arms around it and produced a set of theatre specific rules with enough extras to ensure that the table top action will have that all important flavour. It is quite simply a superb piece of work."As you can see from the excerpts both reviews are very complimentary. I know that I know both of the gentlemen concerned but I think that if it wasn't their honest view they'd just say nothing at all.

What has pleased me is that the aims I set myself in writing the rule book have been picked up by both of the reviewers. There is supposed to be enough there to get you started, it is supposed to be obvious that they are specific to the period and it is supposed to be clear and easy to read. And it was a manifestation of my real passion for the period too, and that has apparently come through as well.

It's is becoming obvious to me, if I didn't already know, that this is a period where it is hard to get any traction at all in terms of interest. The water has been particularly muddied by the Perry twins' new Triple Alliance range, which people seem to think is the same war. It isn't. There was a comment on one forum that it was "too bad" that the rules weren't for the Triple Alliance war, as "the uniforms are super cool". Seeing as the uniforms are similar in some areas, being jackets and kepis. Differences include the War of the Pacific has units in pickelhaubes, the Triple Alliance Carlist style berets. In terms of colour variety the Bolivians beat everyone that's the sort of dismissive comment that isn't helpful, when the evidence would tend to suggest that the uniforms in the War of the Pacific are almost certainly more cool than those of the Triple Alliance.

I had an email exchange with Leon at Pendraken who has the most complete range of figures, albeit in 10mm. He says he doesn't sell many of them, but he has very kindly put a link for the rules on that page.

Sales have been ahead of "To Ur" so far, which is probably down to me doing pre-publicity work via TMP and the pent up demand came in quickly in the first couple of days. I can only hope that reviews such as Bob & Dave's will kick sales on as well and inspire some chat elsewhere as well.

On another note the pdf of "To Ur" has gone okay, so I will do some work in the next few days to prepare the "IGABC" files for similar availability.

Comments

  1. Congratulations on publishing and early sales. Great start. I read both Bob and David’s first impressions on the rules layout and content. Awaiting to see a review showing actual game play.

    Since Chile won this conflict, I thought an alternative title could have been “Chile con Carne.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keen to see someone else post an AAR other than me. Of course, if you splashed for the rules it could be you...

      The alternative title was "Something to Peruve". I think I went with the right one. Maybe I should run a competition to name the next set I write from scratch.

      Delete
    2. Well, I have no armies for this conflict. If I started painting now, it might take a year before I was ready to play. Miniatures Wargaming is a patient hobby.

      Delete
    3. ACW & FPW units will stand in until you've sorted out your painting schedule. Anything in kepis and pickelhaubes with rifles.

      Delete
    4. Much appreciated. If you are lucky you may be getting a discount as Amazon have decided to promote the book. Not my decision, and a bit annoying for those who have already paid full price.

      Delete
    5. No discount for me...should be here by Tuesday.

      Delete
    6. Sorry to hear that. Enjoy when they arrive.

      Delete
  2. Hi well certainly sounds interesting. Not fan of Amazon but will go and look up your rules.

    I picked up the Osprey on this war which sparked an interest and then added couple more books which are on the reading list.


    I have acquired various 1/72nd plastic ACW and FPW figs I reckoned could be painted up and seems a more colourful era than either of those.

    My second obscure 19th century interest is the Taiping Rebellion so great news your working on rules for that.

    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon are what they are. The self publishing software/website is very friendly and they give you good visibility and distribution. The quality of the final product is good too, and I think it is better than LuLu.

      Good to find someone with similar tastes. Once you have the rules go out onto the forums and tell the world!

      Delete
  3. I have question...I have an interest in the war, but am not really keen on grid games. Is there a way to play your rules with "normal" movement and not go square to square? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a chapter that explains exactly how you can do that.

      Delete
    2. Oh, that's it...you convinced me...off to Amazon to buy a copy!!!

      Delete
    3. Excellent decision. You won't regret it. We'll, not that much, probably.

      Delete
  4. Still on my to buy list. I did however pick up Edgecote a few days ago and was very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to hear on the Edgcote book. Please write a review and tell all your friends. The feedback has been consistently positive but it hasn't sold as well as we would have liked. Possibly a bit niche.

      Delete

Post a Comment