Happy Hoplites

 So I'm using the Lockdown to clear my plastic pile. I've just finished all my hoplites, I reckon, unless there's some more hiding in a bag of spares.


Having finished off the last batch (I was waiting on some shield transfers, and even then didn't order enough) I added another 80 to my existing forces, consisting of another box of Hat and the remains of a box of Zvezda. That makes it 12 units of Hat "Mercenary Hoplites" in total now, all lined up above.


I now also have 8 units of Zvezda Greek Hoplites, so 20 in total or 320 figures. As it was a Saturday morning and I had no serious chores lined up, I got them all out for a photo shoot.

Well, why not.

My only problem is that they're all generic, so I could probably justify adding some bespoke Thebans (Hat / Coates and Shine do a box that would give me another 3 units) and some Spartans. 

But not right away.


Comments

  1. This is an impressive and formidable battle array of hoplites! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. alas will never be used in anger like that.

      Delete
  2. It is good that now there is a ready supply of Hoplites - many moons ago I converted Airfix 8th Army into Greek Hoplites...it did work and I built a Galley to go along with the 1/72nd Figures. Good gaming there Trebian. Cheers.KEV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't just say that and leave it...8th army into hoplites. Photos please!

      Delete
    2. It was way back in 1980 that I did the conversions - and sorry to say there isn't any photos - for the 'Tunics' I used Plasticine painted with Nail Polish- which painted well. Cheers. KEV.

      Delete
    3. I did a load of 54mm conversions for Western Gunfights and other skirmish games in the 70s. Basically carve the figure down to the basics and then add plasticene covered with polystyrene glue. It worked fine as well.

      Delete
  3. Impressive. I'm always surprised how well the plain green bases look. The hill behind them looks good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plain green works as long as the table is a similar colour. The hill is from my GW box set "Battle of the Five Armies". It's about the only bit of that set that gets used these days.

      Delete
  4. Wow. That is a great phalanx. I have always like HaT miniautures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Hat, as their poses are normally sensible, and you get four identical sprues so you know you can make units. My only issue with these is that they could have made them with shields facing forwards fairly easily, so they can look a bit odd. But hey, en masse they're cracking.

      Delete

Post a Comment