More RCW holes

My review of my RCW texts reveals to me that I am also short of some infantry mortars. Previously, based on my level of resolution and also my limited reading of tactical operations, I had concluded that the were largely an irrelevance. However, I was sticking in an order for other stuff, so why not add some WW1 Russian Mortars?

Turns out Mr Pig doesn't make them. That might be another reason I never bought any originally. Hmm. Oh well, I was ordering some spare heads for the Uhlans, so I suppose I could do the same for these chaps.

Actually, Mr Pig is horribly light on WW1 mortars, only doing Minenwerfer. I hadn't realised as my late period WW1 armies are Minifigs.

I settled on the WW2 Russian light infantry mortar as the base pack, which contains two models each with 3 crew. The kit on the figures isn't perfect, but then none of the other mortar packs are any better (except I could probably get away with using some WW2 French for White units supplied by the Allies). 


Taking off the heads and drilling out the holes for the replacement plugs is often a bit hit and miss. These weren't too bad, as the original heads were nice and proud of the shoulders - unlike the Uhlans, who had slung rifles, which made things a bit more fiddly. The Red Army heads look okay.


I did a team with caps as well, that will do for the Whites, or even Reds in old Tsarist uniforms.


I have another 3 packs to do, so that'll give me four a side. The Reds had, in theory, one platoon per each three battalion Regiment. The Whites were more ad hoc, but were probably similar except their Regiments normally had four battalions. Given the game is aimed at a Regiment/Brigade to Divisional level, that'll be plenty.


Comments

  1. Ah, the joy of rekindling an interest in an old project with new rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite so. I hadn't really thought about the holes until I started to run games and read up. I think I have the gaps partly because first time round I'd decided I'd spent enough on the armies. Now time has passed I feel that opening up the piggy bank is permissible again.

      Delete
  2. I've not gone with any mortars to start with as it would seem that they had limited use, based upon my initial readings which, I must admit, are rather limited. Easy to fix in 10mm though. Maybe they had more use in certain theatres than others?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting detailed information on lower level tactics is proving quite hard. Anecdotally it looks like the bayonet and sabre charge is quite a thing, and heavy machine guns are important too. "Tactical snippeting", as Paddy G called it, is proving to be more difficult than for the SCW.

      Delete
  3. Weird. This is another of your posts that I thought I comments on. Am I not passing by the censors??? Good and useful pieces. Until now, I did not know PP offered separate heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got caught in the spam filter. Don't know why - it doesn't happen consistently to you.

      Peter Pig spare heads are famous over here. I have Indian troops for the WW2 Burma campaign that I did with headswaps, and others too. It is quite satisfying when it goes right.

      Delete

Post a Comment