A Walk in the Countryside

Yesterday (Sunday) was the 24th July, the anniversary of the Battle of Edgcote in 1469. As the Northamptonshire Battlefields Society "expert" on the battle I try to lead a commemorative walk across the battlefield each year on the anniversary. Due to COVID and other shenanigans this has been a hit and miss type of thing since the first walk I went on in 2017 (which I didn't lead and was on the wrong date), so this is probably only the third time I've actually lead the walk as intended.

It was touch and go, what with my recent COVID test, so I didn't do as much pre-publicity as I would have liked. In the end we had 10 people, plus me as a guide. With one exception they were all people who hadn't walked the field before. I was missing my normal wing man, as Phil continues his recovery from his stroke, so I had to be on my game, as I didn't have anyone to prompt me when I forgot stuff. I was also too busy thinking what I was doing to remember to take many photographs. 

It was a warm afternoon, but very breezy. which made it much more comfortable to do Showers were forecast, but I dealt with them by the simple expedient of bringing along a big umbrella to scare them off. From a group leader point of view it was a great group to take round, with very little straggling. I don't think I lost anyone. Plus they were inquisitive too, with lots of questions to keep us engaged, although the answer to a lot of them was "...I will be covering that later on...". Because the background is so important and also convoluted I break up that part of the talk and do it at several stands, rather than front end it all like I do at Northampton. Otherwise we'd have a 30 minute explanation at the first stand before we got properly going.

I do like this battlefield and this part of the country. It is beautifully peaceful and the shape of the ground is unchanged. The major differences are the planting of trees and the loss of the ridge and furrow, but it is still farmland, and it is mostly devoid of modern structures and roads. Above all there is no road noise. In fact, no modern noises at all, unless you get a plane come over. We did encounter a tractor doing some baling on our way back, but even that seemed to be trying its hardest not to disturb the tranquillity. HS2 may change that, of course, but for now even the building work being done is unobtrusive and Edgcote Field will most likely survive any ill effects.

The photograph above is taken on the corner of Danesmoor, at the foot of Edgcote Lodge Hill. The path to the rebel position is behind me, and goes off to my right.


This picture is from the other side of Danesmoor, looking back towards the previous photo. The ridge is Edgcote Lodge Hill. Walking the field does show you how much this ridge dominates the area, and why no other location makes any sense for the Royalist position. It also shows you that whilst you can see a long way, you can't see into the dip behind the rebel position, which, incidentally, is also where HS2 is going.

We got the walk done in just on three hours. It takes about two hours to get the the farthest point, and an hour coming back as there are fewer stops and questions. That meant we were back to the pub for about 5pm. Time for a well earned pint in the sunshine and a chance to look at the area again using the OS map and the marvellous reconstruction of the medieval landscape from Tracy Partida's "Atlas of Northamptonshire". Shame for the group that the pub kitchen shuts at 4pm on the Sunday, although the landlord did offer us a go at the buffet he'd prepared but the local cricket team didn't want.

Next year the walk will be on a Monday, which will be the correct day and also date. Plus hopefully the pub kitchen will be open and it'll be possible to sit down and share a bite to eat as well as a drink. The Griffin Inn in Chipping Warden is a lovely little pub, and it would be great to put more business their way as a result of our walks.





Comments

  1. Beautiful farmland. Good to see you recovered from your bout with COVID.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely place. Have to admit that I am still suffering from the after affects. Either that or those hills are a lot steeper than last year.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a fun trip. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a nice day for the walk. I know the Griffin of old and it is a nice pub. So good weather, good pub and a good guide what could be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did go quite well. And I didn't get sunburn either.

      Delete

Post a Comment