Hammering Into the New Year

We'd left the subject of the first game of the year hanging a bit last time we met. I was hunting around for ideas, then realised it has been a while since I got out the ACW ironclads. Seemed like a good choice to ease us in to a new year of wargaming.

I'm a bit of a traditionalist and persist with the 1999 version of the rules from RFCM "Hammerin' Irion II", rather than the recent update (which I see was actually published in 2011, so not so recent in fact). I love this game. It brings back many happy memories of when I used to run a wargames "tournament" in the village hall.

I was expecting four of us, but with bad weather warnings, a howling gale and bits of tree falling down, Steve stayed home. Chris and Phil braved the elements, however, so all that preparation time hadn't been wasted (grin).


The Yankees, at the far end, were played by Chris and Phil. They had four ironclads: the Cairo & Carondelet, the Essex and the Sandusky (a monitor) and two generic wooden tenders, the Arkham and the Tulip. None of these vessels had rams, but typically for Union forces, were chock full of guns. I ran the Rebs, They had three ironclad rans, the Manassas, the Palmetto State and the Tennessee plus the tinclad General Bragg. (Yes I know it's an eclectic mix that would never have appeared all together in the same place). And typically for Confederate ships very few guns between them.

The Rebs have to exit the far end of the board, having sunk two ironclads. The Yankees must sink all of the Rebel ships.

I used the rules as written, by and large, which meant rolling for arrivals. I wrote the QRS up on the white board at the far end. I don't know why I bothered, as no one else looked at it me. It took a while for the turn sequence to stick.

Typically my ships were slow to arrive, and so got spread out. I did this to get the game going, but also it gave the ships more "sea room" to line up rams. I'm leading with Palmetto State, which is a shallow ironclad ram, so I reckon I can storm across a sand bank at full sped, and catch the damn Yankees by surprise.


As it was, when I got close I didn't get caught on the sandbank. I did, however, have my boilers knocked out with a critical hit which had the same effect of immobilising the vessel. And I caught fire. On the plus side I hit the Sandusky's turret and jammed it. On the down side it was still pointing at me. My gunnery was otherwise unimpressive, being unable to hit the Arkham effectively as she steamed around me.


The General Bragg is heading towards the bank, so I can shelter one side of the ship from the two nasty looking ironclad gun platforms heading towards me. My fourth ram, the Manassas, is still not on the table. I have the Tennessee heading at full speed for the Carondelet in the middle of the table.


The Palmetto State succumbs to the pummelling it has received, and sinks beneath the muddy waters of whatever river this happens to be. My last salvo set fire to the Arkham, however.


It really isn't going well. The Manassas still won't get on the table, and the General Bragg has caught fire. I'm normally an easy going host, but this is getting irritating. 


General Bragg has succeeded in putting out the fire, and is heading for the exit, before she gets sunk. The Manassas is on the table, but out of view. The Tennessee has been hit, and it's rudder is jammed, and I can only turn to port (that's left, you land-lubbers).


Controversy! The Tennessee is able to line up the Carondelet. I have move priority so I am able to swing left and ram the enemy amidships. As I come in Phil fires and gets the "Munitions Explode" critical hit, and the Tennessee evaporates.

Quick rules consult. What sequence do things happen in? I don't recall this ever happening before. Normally it isn't a problem, as the hits won't sink the ship and all the other critical hits affect next turn, so despite taking fire, the ram happens. The rules say move everything first, but that when you do firing you can fire at any point in the move. Logic says I'm destroyed before contact, but I announce that as things have gone so badly for now with me barely making a scratch on the Yankees, they will occur simultaneously. 

There then follows a spectacular ram attack, causing nine hits and the chance of an automatic sinking which duly happens. M.A.D. in the middle of the river.

And then the Manassas is hit by artillery fire and disabled.

I lost three out of four, sank one enemy and got one ship off table. Points win to the Union.

It never loses its charm, this game, daft tho' it is from time to time.

Next week, "AK47 Republic" returns as the nostalgia fest continues.

Happy New Year to you all.









Comments

  1. Interesting to see a hex-based game played upon a non-gridded table. You are off to a quick start on the gaming front in 2024.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this design is original and interesting. The ships move on hexes, but they fire in inches. For the 2011 version Martin Goddard, the author, just went straight to a hex grid for which he sold pre marked cloths (although I think you can play that version with the hexes like we did. I have nicked the approach for my 1879 ironclads, should that game ever surface fully formed.

      Delete
  2. Trebian -
    I think the game action went about how I would have expected! But I was interested in the incident of the Tennessee. In my view, your 'strict' adherence to the game mechanic was probably at least as 'realistic' as any other interpretation would have been. The Tenn takes a hit that starts a fire close enough to the ammo storage that a catastrophic explosion might have happened at any time before the crew could intervene - or even notice. Even then it might not have been enough to send her at once to the bottom; she might have had sufficient way on to strike Carondelet the fatal blow.

    Always something of interest happening on this blog!
    Cheers,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On reflection I am happy with the narrative of what happened. I omitted to fire a volley with the Tennessee's forward guns as I went in too.

      Hopefully lots of interest in the year ahead.

      Delete
  3. Nice battle report. Sounds a lot like many of my recent games - a litany of ill fortune culminating in a magnificent catastrophe. AK47 Republic... what a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wargaming life, isn't it? Looking forwards to AK47. Need to get the rules out and blow the dust off. I think I have an army builder spreadsheet somewhere too.

      Delete
  4. Sounds interesting! I have a few 3dprinted ironclads, might have to check this one out. Thanks for an engaging report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a set of rules HI is a lot of fun, even in the new version. It is quick and probably not as authentic as the purists would like. There's another set out the called something like "Smoke on the Water" where it takes ages to sink the boats, but it does so in a more realistic fashion. As it is a period that only holds a passing interest for me, getting the whole thing done and dusted in an hour and a half is about right.

      Delete
  5. That sounds like a fun game..got the rules but haven't played them, so may well give them a go. Looking forward to your AK47 game report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is loads of fun, and easy to play. Highly recommended. Expect the AK47 report sometime Wednesday.

      Delete

Post a Comment