Hanover Fits

I am engaged in a semi-official project to run down the odds and ends from my "to do" shelf. This doesn't count as a full project as all of the armies these figures fit into are "finished" and usable. Many of these are the odd poses you just can't use; or there aren't enough to make up a battalion; or perhaps I already have just too many of that type of unit, and so they'll never be used. Ever. Or at least not all at the same time.

It was this project that got that composite grenadier battalion that featured in the WSS game done, although that box is still not empty.

This is what the shelf looks like. This isn't everything - there are some other odds and ends on my "eye line" shelf above the desk where I keep the really not sure why I have them anymore or misfiring project figures. Those one's I bought to see how they would work out, then didn't like the result. They sit there as a reminder that I don't always get it right.

Some of those boxes are a bit misleading. The brown one marked "French China" is my aborted Lancashire games 1860 French army, abandoned because they figures don't match Irregular. I put them on ebay last year, but no one bought them. Might try again at some point.

So, one of the boxes I had left was Strelet's Peter The Great Russian Dragoons. I bought them to make some Jacobite Cavalry as some of the figures had the right hats (it's always about the hats with me). That didn't use much of the box, as you can see here and here.

It's an odd box of figures as you get more riders than horses - the grenadiers of the dragoon regiments rode doubled up I'm told - and you get some foot figures too. Still I'd bought two boxes worth when I got them to get the hats I needed for Bagot's hussars so I had enough for a couple of units for my WSS armies. Question was, what should they be?

I decided I should do some anti-French allies to add to my Anglo-Dutch, to get a bit of variety in the uniforms

I went for Hanoverian Dragoons in the end. There's a picture in the Osprey book, and the white (yes, that's white) makes a contrast to red and grey. I also have a feeling that there were Hanoverians deployed around London during the '45, so they may do double duty there as well. This lot are Viller's Dragoons from Blenheim. The poses are a bit odd, being the ones I didn't want to use for my Jacobites, so there's a lot of waving around of carbines and pistols, but in a massed army I think I'll get away with that. 


I had enough left over to do Bothmer's Dragoons too. They were both ideal, consisting of two squadrons each, which is my standard WSS size cavalry unit.

The figures have a rough charm, and who am I to complain when most of my cavalry are converted Airfix Napoleonics. I'd describe these as mid-period Strelets. They're better than their early misshapen blobs of ill defined plasticene, but are nowhere near as good as their current production which are as good as anything you can get from anyone in any size and in any material. Anyone who disagrees is blinded by soft plastic prejudice. 

That leaves me with 6 mounted figures in grenadier mitres without horses, who I think will have to go in the bin. I really have no need for spare bits of grenadiers. And the foot figures. They're a bit ugly, but will be joining some spare odds and ends to make a Hanoverian foot battalion. 

Yeah, they're in red, so not variation in colour, but the flags are different.

Another box emptied.

Comments

  1. Good to see your work process. Your Hanoverian dragoons are a wild bunch and riding hell bent for leather. Without your explanation, the photos suggest they wear yellow or straw coats rather than white. As for your Lancashire Games' 1860 "French in China," I bet I could use them for my Franco-Austrian War project. Depending upon what you have, the Lancashire 15mm 1859 French infantry offer up some of my favorite sculpts.

    "Soft Plastic Prejudice?" Is this a new twist on wokeness?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo hasn't done them any favours. They have a creamy/dusty tinge, due to the tinted varnish used to do the shading. They do look a rather piratical bunch, don't they?

      The French are from the 1870 FPW range, but the uniforms were virtually unchanged. Half of them are painted, so you'd probably need to strip then down.

      And leaving the "woke" discussion aside - surely you have to agree that there is a bias in the hobby towards hard plastic or metal figures. Soft plastic tends not to be taken so seriously, which is a shame as the price and quality is perfect for spreading the hobby. As a beginner would you want to pay £20 for 24 hard plastic figures you have to glue together, or £8 for 44 soft plastics. Even if I throw half of them away, I'm still ahead on the deal.

      Delete
    2. Yes, they look piratical, indeed!

      Given that many of us from a certain generation (me!) came into the hobby when soft plastic airfix figures were de rigueur and really the only option for us young ones on very limited budgets, these figures maintain a certain sense of nostalgia. Results from the Great Wargame Survey suggest that few hold onto this view toward soft plastics figures. I was very surprised that the 2020 survey suggested hard plastics were preferred to metals.

      I have been browsing through the WSS figure reviews on Plastic Soldier Review and find some of the Strelets boxes very good.

      Delete
    3. They aren't 28mm, are they? Surely you're not going to succumb to a box or two of Strelets???

      Delete
    4. I am scale agnostic. I collections and projects in many different figure sizes including 6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 18mm, 25mm, 28mm, 30mm, and even a few 54mm. Hmm. No longer any 20mm or 1/72 unless I count WWI aircraft.

      Delete
    5. I have 6mm, 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm and 28mm, plus some 54mm somewhere, and some 77mm. That's the figures. I've got ships and other bits in other sizes I'm sure. Not intending to buy any more 25/28mm new armies. The rest I'll happily add to.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you that soft plastic undeservedly loses in the choice of figures. And even more so in wargame. Very sorry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look at the back posts on this blog, you'll see a lot of 1/72 plastic wargames. Especially ancient ones, featuring Zvezda figures amopngst others.

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on soft plastics, and Jon has a point, I have thoroughly enjoyed digging out old Airfix toys for my WW2 forces, pure nostalgia in the best possible way! ( 20mm seems more 'right' for WW2 anyway , 28mm too big.. ) You have made me look at Strelets etc, and given me some ideas for reinforcements. As a recent-ish 'returner' I was a bit gobsmacked by the prices for hard plastics - and it seem you have to stick their arms on too? Blimey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 28mm is too big for anything with modern weapons, IMHO, by which I mean anything involving a breach loading rifle, other than skirmish wargaming. I tend towards 15mm for modern conflicts (6mm for Operational games). 1/72 is great for ancients.

      Yeah, and I'm with you about sticking arms on.

      Delete
  4. p.s. dragoons look good, a suitably buccaneering crew !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They have a lot of character. Captain Jack Sparrow being that character.

      Delete
  5. Very nice Graham. I've also been slowly working through my bits and pieces shelf. It is very satisfying emptying the backlog. I might even be in a position to.... buy some new stuff soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enough shelf space for more purchases now, but as I'm not breaking any new ground I don't feel the need to buy any motr at the moment. I can't be feeling well. Is this a covid symptom?

      Delete
    2. Emptying the backlog? I have heard rumors of such an occurrence but thought it mainly myth.

      Delete
    3. It often feels like we are currently existing in a parallel universe these days. Here's proof.

      Delete
  6. Totally agree about soft plastic figures although I also admit to being one of the prejudiced! The 1/72 scale kind of makes them incompatible with anything else...and they don't work well with 20mm metal, for example. My issue with them( which is probably eminently solvable nowadays ) is getting paint to stay on them. The later Airfix figures...WWII in particular ... Plus Esci etc, ARE at least as good if not better than metal. They do seem to be more acceptable in continental Europe for some reason. Hard plastic are a kind if halfway house...I have said to friends a couple of times, if Airfix had produced their figures in hard plastic rather than soft, perhaps many gamers would never have progressed to metal.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not compatible because they're correctly proportioned (there are unfavourable comments on Plastic Soldier Review about figures that were originally cast in metal being used as masters for plastic figures). The paint issue is less of a problem than claimed. Wash them, undercoat them (or PVA wash) and seal once finished with a good varnish. As for soft plastic v hard plastic - they're more robust and easier for more complicated poses to be got out of moulds. Don't get me wrong - I like metal figures too, but modern 1/72 are such high quality they're my go to first if they can be.

      Delete
  7. These look lovely Graham.
    I really like those Strelets Russian dragoons. Not as beautiful as their recent figures for the early 18th C, but interesting poses and useful for a range of nations. Mine that have been and will be painted as Saxons.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a lot of character, although as you say, they aren't as beautiful. plus Strelets are cutting back on the eccentric figure poses.

      Delete

Post a Comment